Sony Still Hoping For 1 Million PS3's In 2006

Shawn Andrich

Aug 4, 2006
Sony Still Hoping For 1 Million PS3's In 2006

Despite launching with less than half the expected 400,000 units last month, Sony is still confident that 1 million PS3's will be "in the pipeline" by the end of the year.

While PS3 sales have been low due to small shipments, Sony is pleased with the NPD sales numbers for November which show both the PS2 and PSP selling 664,000 and 412,000 units respectively.

"These figures clearly demonstrate the strength of the PlayStation family of products in the US market,? David Karraker, the head of Sony PR. "PlayStation 3 remains one of the most sought after items this holiday season, selling through almost immediately in all retailers once placed on store shelves. We will continue to utilize airfreight delivery for PlayStation 3 to assure a steady stream of systems for North American consumers through the end of the year. And while initial day-one launch shipment goals weren't achievable due to early manufacturing issues, those problems have been resolved and we do remain focused on having one million PS3's in the pipeline by December 31, 2006."

Exactly what "in the pipeline" means remains to be seen, but Sony seems confident now that manufacturing issues have been resolved.

heavyfeul

Sep 5, 2006
What amazes me is how frenzied people get for these launch consoles. So much so that the manufacturers have a very hard time keeping up with demand. Obviously, this in part the fault of Sony, and a year ago MS, for launching a console before it is ready. the other part of the equation is the consumer who is willing to stand outside for two days or pay a cool grand on eBay for a buggy game computer with very few actual games to play. And those games are rarely the stellar "next-gen" games that the console is designed to showcase. It just amazes me.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
This press release is solely to calm the Sony investors and has no bearing on reality... yet again.

heavyfeul

Sep 5, 2006
Echolocating said:
This press release is solely to calm the Sony investors and has no bearing on reality... yet again.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Sony is really hanging themselves out to take a bath on the PS3 if those PS2 owners do not start to "upgrade" soon. They don't have close to the cash reserves that MS does and I think investors and analysts see that. Add to that the cost of producing and marketing the PS3 and I am sure there are some nervous stock holders right now.

Bongo Bill

Jul 13, 2006
What with all the shortages, I'd be surprised if they could even build a million PS3s by the end of the year.