292: The Husband & Wife Videogame Super Team

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
I fail to see what this has to do with console wars.

But congrats on becoming a father.

skyfire_freckles

Jan 30, 2008
congrats on the new baby. We just had a baby, and got a Wii. One of the nurses in the hospital was super fussy, and told us, "Never shake your baby, no matter how angry you are." We joked about how the baby could play Wii with us, about taping her to the Wii-mote. Which birthed the phrase: "Never shake your baby, no matter how bored you are."

But seriously, I am the Medic to my husband's Heavy, and I back up our older daughter on Mario Galaxy while feeding the baby. We play RPGs and compare notes; he hates puzzles in games that I find a piece of cake and vice versa. The family that games together...has a buttload of fun.

beniki

May 28, 2009
I haven't really played a game solo in years. In my flat we didn't really play unless at least two of us were around. We'd always help each other out and wisecrack about the way we played, so much so that when my friends and I look back on the games we played, we don't remember who actually held the controller.

Last year, I went to work in a different country, and only had time for some decent single player games in the last month. For the first time in a while, I was really a single player. They all seemed flat and dull. I thought it was because of some change in modern gaming trends that I didn't get on with, but that wasn't true. Somewhere along the line, gaming without an audience, or someone to banter with, became half an experience.

So just a little warning. It's the best way to play. But you'll wreck the solo experience for yourself.

I wouldn't trade it though :)

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Chuck Wendig said:
His fingers, her brain - together, Chuck Wendig and his wife are an unstoppable force of gaming mastery.
You piteous console-gamers! Bow before the master-race that I am - a PC gamer! For when I game, I... always... play... alone...

*Generates mental image of a lone child in a forsaken post-apocalyptic playground. Cries a little inside.*

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
That is quite genuinely one of the coolest things I've ever heard. Their child will become the Ubergamer. :D

greenmoose

Aug 3, 2009
This was an awesome read. My wife and I had the exact same experience with Portal. Knowing nothing about the game before starting, I was running around shooting walls at random. Then my wife says, "Try shooting there." I laughed...like she would know any better. So I tried it. And it worked. From then on I always appreciate her sitting next to me, working with me to solve puzzles and help in a myriad of other ways. It has actually made a solitary pastime into something enriching in both our lives.

necronmm

Dec 14, 2010
Excellent article! Reminded me of playing Mortal Kombat as a kid in a crowded arcade, and yes the crowd yelling out the combos for various moves / fatalities :)

jpblade666

Dec 23, 2010
Aside from the stale "cake is a lie" joke which needs to die at this point, I really liked the article! On a side note: Duct tape might work but NEVER use super glue, I've made that bad choice before.

daftalchemist

Aug 6, 2008
This is how my boyfriend and I do it for games that I simply can't play, such as horror games. I was the one who owned a Gamecube, I was the one who thought that Resident Evil 4 looked cool enough to buy, and I was the one who was so terrified of it that I couldn't even play five minutes into the game. What can I say? I'm a total wuss. But he had no problem playing it. So since it was my Gamecube, he couldn't play unless I was around, and I watched him. Then when I saw shiny objects laying around, I would point them out. When I noticed a boss' weak spot while he was madly dodging and shooting at it, I would point that out. I noticed things that he couldn't in the heat of the moment, so he got everything he would have otherwise missed and I got to see all of the game being played before me. I actually know and remember so much about the game just from watching it and giving helpful advice that I do consider myself as having played it.

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
Well, my brother and sister will sometimes ask for help, and I'll give it, but I usually try to get them to learn to do these things on their own for their own sake...or maybe I just wanted them to leave me alone. I forget which.

But it's true. It does seem like we've taken a dip in the dark side of the social pool. The sad part is, it's not always that easy to fix. Or am I just making excuses?

aldowyn

Mar 1, 2010
Enjoyable article - I bet these kinds of teams are more common that you would think.

I'm a little unusual here - my entire family is into gaming, of some sort or another. My dad used to play D&D all the time - stories such as a barbarian who used a stone pillar as a club and bashed a dragon's head in aren't all that rare. Also, I have, in one day, talked to my (younger) sister about Minecraft, my step-dad about Fallout (the recent ones), and my mom about.. well, most of the recent Bioware games. There's probably times where we're all just playing away on our game of choice. I guess I should be proud of converting an entire household to video games?

That's not even counting school. There are times I spend more of my school day talking about games than I do actually working...

I've always loved telling gaming stories, and I've run into some games lately that just have some awesome ones - Minecraft, in particular.

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
Back when I was on the old SEGA G my little sister used to tell me what to do while I moved the character around. I was really sad when she grew up and started liking makeup and pink and didn't want to play with me anymore.

Though I am starting to be the 'go here and do that' for my husband. He's smart, but he doesn't think fast enough.

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
Dang double poster I am.

EDIT: The heck? Why did it post a new post instead of editing the other one like I asked it to?

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Man, I really wish I could get my girlfriend to play/enjoy games with me. We've tried co-op a few times on stuff like New SMB Wii or Little Big Planet, but we wind up just yelling at eachother and getting mad, since platformers are all about precision movements and timing -- a hard thing to synchronize most of the time. If only she'd indulge in another genre. Although she did help me beat God of War 2 (she's really good at QTE's apparently). She usually just says she doesn't have time for games and would rather be spending her time doing other things, so when we both have free time together, it sends her in to a rage if I want to play video games.

On another note:
I don't mean to insult you man, but... you seriously needed help to figure out Portal? Forget Portal, you needed help figuring out stuff in Assassins Creed 2? Really?? You are quite lucky to have your wife, I'll leave it at that.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
I used to have this sort of thing with my sister - especially when playing Tomb Raider games. She'd usually very skilfully and dextrously pilot, while I solved puzzles, remembered the locations of things, navigated and wrote a strategy guide. Naturally, she participated in these too, and I had my turn at the controls, but the scenario I describe is usually what we found most comfortable.

These days I have more or less the same thing with my boyfriend =)

Shadie777

Feb 1, 2011
Raiyan 1.0 said:
You piteous console-gamers! Bow before the master-race that I am - a PC gamer! For when I game, I... always... play... alone...

*Generates mental image of a lone child in a forsaken post-apocalyptic playground. Cries a little inside.*
Wow....
You made me sad inside.......

R4di4ti0n.

Sep 11, 2009
This article was less "OMG WARM AND FUZZY" and more "Uhhhhhh?"

If you are honestly telling me that you couldn't figure out portal or braid, then you must also be admitting that your brain does not have a fully functioning right hemisphere. Then again, the left side also controls logic, so maybe you are just full-part-retard? Those games are single sitting games. You can literally beat braid in 2 hours. The day I bought it, I had beaten it in just under 3. Portal is 4 hours of fun, but outside of the additional challenges (such as minimal use of portal) there is nothing remotely difficult about this game.

At least your wife is kind enough to pity you and not judge, so you have that going for you.

chuckwendig

Jun 29, 2010
R4di4ti0n. said:
This article was less "OMG WARM AND FUZZY" and more "Uhhhhhh?"

If you are honestly telling me that you couldn't figure out portal or braid, then you must also be admitting that your brain does not have a fully functioning right hemisphere. Then again, the left side also controls logic, so maybe you are just full-part-retard? Those games are single sitting games. You can literally beat braid in 2 hours. The day I bought it, I had beaten it in just under 3. Portal is 4 hours of fun, but outside of the additional challenges (such as minimal use of portal) there is nothing remotely difficult about this game.

At least your wife is kind enough to pity you and not judge, so you have that going for you.
Too true. I have been medically categorized as "Full-Part-Retard." I am lucky to have found a mate who accepts me for my mule-kicked monkey-brain.

You, too, will be lucky some day in love, sir.

Hell, with your excellent bragging skills about how well you play video games -- I mean, Braid in 3 hours? Interrobang! -- I've no doubt you'll end up with your own special mate in no time, Guy Who Uses Tons Of Numbers As Letters In His Name! Thanks for reading.

-- Chuck