Aion Grabs 300,000 Activated Pre-Orders in the West

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Aion Grabs 300,000 Activated Pre-Orders in the West

With two weeks to go until Aion officially takes wing in the West, the game is "looking healthy" according to NCSoft, with 300,000 activated pre-orders under its belt.

Aion is already a confirmed success in Asia - we know that much for certain - but for many, the real test will come when it launches here in the West at the end of the month. Even the most popular Eastern MMOGs face heavy opposition when launching in North America and Europe, in part due to cultural oddities and in part (sadly) due to poor localization - a fact which the Aion team has worked hard to avoid [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94258-Aion-of-Make-the-Happy-Translationing-Task-Force].

Perhaps it's paying off, too. As Véronique Lallier - Managing Director for the European publishing division - told VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/09/11/western-aion-activated-pre-orders-pass-300000/], Aion is on a nice track so far, continuously in the "best-selling" lists on services like Steam and Direct2Drive.

[blockquote]"Aion's starting to achieve nice numbers," said the boss. "We are over 300,000 activated pre-orders in the West.

"It's looking healthy. It's nice and healthy two weeks before the launch... It looks very good at the moment."[/blockquote]

300,000 may not seem like that much, given that last year both Age of Conan and Warhammer Online launched with around a million players each, though their install bases quickly shrunk. Still, even in the post-WoW world, 300,000 is nothing to sneeze at, and is certainly a sustainable population.

The real trick, of course, isn't getting the numbers at launch - it's keeping them there, a fact that Lallier recognizes: "The next thing to prove, of course, is that we can keep this up. I think there's a solid audience out there eager to play a new MMO, so I think we're on a good path."

Aion hits North America on September 22nd, and Europe on the 25th.

The Kangaroo

Feb 24, 2009
Does this game have actual depth or is just a WOW clone that can't run properly unless you have a top of the range computer?

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
You can try the open beta yourself if you join fileplanet (for free). I'm not too impressed. Very typical. Guess don't fix what ain't broke.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Eoin Livingston said:
Does this game have actual depth or is just a WOW clone that can't run properly unless you have a top of the range computer?
so far it runs very well on my machine, I have a hard time getting it under 60 fps and yes this game has depth, its got a combo move system that puts wow's simple buttom mashing to shame, not to mention that it seems like pvp in it is a step above everything since the act of moving around affects your dodge and block and attack power, like if you start moving backwards your block and parry go way up but your attack power goes far down but if you run side to side your evasion goes way up but attack power down, altho if your moving forward your attack goes up but your def goes down. You cant just move alittle and have it happen but it definatly makes for some involved pvp

The Kangaroo

Feb 24, 2009
Glefistus said:
Worgen said:
Eoin Livingston said:
so far it runs very well on my machine, I have a hard time getting it under 60 fps and yes this game has depth, its got a combo move system that puts wow's simple buttom mashing to shame, not to mention that it seems like pvp in it is a step above everything since the act of moving around affects your dodge and block and attack power, like if you start moving backwards your block and parry go way up but your attack power goes far down but if you run side to side your evasion goes way up but attack power down, altho if your moving forward your attack goes up but your def goes down. You cant just move alittle and have it happen but it definatly makes for some involved pvp
That sounds like it's over my head. Thank god I'm going priest.
A priest in a Japanese game? Quick get the boys/girls away, I'll hold him off

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I've heard good things about this game thus far, so I hope that it does decently. Odds are it'll be a slow start though.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
It's a quality MMO. Far better than AoC/WAR. Fresher (and better in my eyes) than WoW.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I am slightly put off by its art style that, to me at least, seems very similar to those f2p asian MMO ports. I'm not buying it(sorta broke after champions and arkham in the same week) but I'll wait till they put out a free trial to check it out.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Glefistus said:
Worgen said:
Eoin Livingston said:
Priests also must know how to kite. For instance, instead of running sideways like an Assassin or a Ranger, you MUST kite backwards. This will raise your shield defense and lessen overall damage taken. If you try kiting by running forward, you lose some defense in favor of higher melee and ranged physical damage. But you shouldn't need them in PvP xd

Yes, the game is THIS tactical. More skilled players will be able to get both sideways and forward bonuses, as they linger for about 5 seconds anyway. But that's not for everyone.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Well it's nice to know they have the goals set in the realm of realism, I'm honestly glad to see a developer being smartly optimstic about their numbers, and They're right, 300,000 really isn't anything to shake a stick at, especially Pre-launch.

I'll no doubt have fun at least trying this game out when i've got some money coming in again.

IDBash

Sep 4, 2009
I have not even heard like anything about this game... I have only seen web-banners for it... Where have they been advertising it other than that?

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Marq said:
Good luck to them. They're gonna need it.
Oh yes they do. Good God, yes they do. Between WoW, Champions, and the other MMOs out there and upcoming, Aion's going to have some steep competition. Here's hoping it turns out well.

Spaceman_Spiff

Apr 16, 2009
I hope it does well, its unhealthy for World of Warcraft to have such strangle-hold on MMORPG's no matter how good it is.

DRADIS C0ntact

Mar 26, 2009
I tried the beta. It's a decent game, but didn't hold my interest. I'm playing Champion's Online now, which I think is much better.

haruvister

Jun 4, 2008
I've been playing the beta, and I've found Aion to be a fair bit better than AoC or Warhammer. The combat feels juicy and the environments are vivid. The Elysian capital city is a work of art; in fact, the art design in general is the best I've seen since WoW. It's a tad linear in the early stages, but at level 10 you get to (literally) spread your wings. Definitely worth a look if you're bored of WoW, or LotRO isn't satisfying your PvP lust.

RedDiablo

Nov 8, 2008
Eoin Livingston said:
Glefistus said:
Worgen said:
Eoin Livingston said:
A priest in a Japanese game? Quick get the boys/girls away, I'll hold him off
It's a Korean game, not Japanese. Well, I hope the game can survive under the pressure of WoW and the other MMORPG's in the market. The game's art is pretty fantastic though.