Bethesda Sues Interplay Over Fallout MMO

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Bethesda Sues Interplay Over Fallout MMO

Bethesda has announced that it plans to sue Interplay for trademark infringement and breach of contract over the long-rumored Fallout MMO.

The suit - the documents in question can be found on The Vault [http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Ausir/Bethesda_sues_Interplay,_new_V13_concept_art] - claims that Interplay is in breach of contract requiring the company to start development of the Fallout universe MMOG in earnest by April 4th, 2009.

Interplay, of course, has disputed the claim, maintaining that it still holds the rights to develop Project V13 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90672-Interplay-Moves-One-Step-Closer-to-Project-V13] in coordination with Masthead Studios.

This, of course, is bad news for the foundering Interplay, who seem to be up a certain creek without a certain instrument - without funding for V13, and with legal troubles atop of that, the studio's continued existence may be in jeopardy.

On the bright side, V13 concept artist Natiq "Defonten" Aghayev has released a piece of art he did for the game, pictured here. Yes, it's gorgeous and compelling concept art for a game that may never see the light of day.

(Via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/09/11/bethesda-to-sue-interplay-over-fallout-mmo/])

walls of cetepedes

Jul 12, 2009
Yeah, read about this already. It was inevitable really.

They made a contract, and they didn't live up to it, even after being given several months extra.

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
Wait, first Diablo III, now V13?

Am I really dying somewhere and this is just all an illusion brought on by massive pain?
I never thought it possible.

EDIT: that is to say, I didn't really hear about a Fallout MMO until just now

AgentChunk

Jul 27, 2009
It's not like they're going to get much from this Interplay is dirt poor

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/7/2/

Yeah that's an old one but it's relevant. Also I thought I heard some where that the contract they signed still gave them the right to make this MMO.

MasterSqueak

May 10, 2009
AgentChunk said:
It's not like they're going to get much from this Interplay is dirt poor

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/7/2/

Yeah that's an old one but it's relevant. Also I thought I heard some where that the contract they signed still gave them the right to make this MMO.
I think that Bethesda is sueing because they didn't fulfill the contract requirements or something.

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
Contract: Make Game in fallout land - FAILED
Contract: Face similar fate to 3D Realms - In Progress...
Nah. its shame to see the fallout MMO go down the poop shute for more time.

neckplate

Apr 28, 2009
Hmm.....

Thats a somewhat suprise since the new fallout was coming. You know Fallout New Vegas.
But lets see if it realy goes though

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Bah, Interplay deserves it, they were the ones who ran the series into the ground in the first place and they were the ones who buggered up their company through mis-management despite having many hit titles in their stable.

They made a timed contract for a Fallout MMO and didn't follow through with it, it is their own damn fault.

MercenaryCanary

Mar 24, 2008
Fuck. You. Bethesda. You didn't even create the franchise... you just made an okay version of it. /angry Interplay Studio's fanboy rant

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Oh god no.

OH GOD NO.

[small]This will attract the Fo1 and Fo2 fanboys! DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'VE DONE, ESCAPIST? YOU'VE DOOMED US ALL![/small]

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Fat Man Spoon said:
Yeah, read about this already. It was inevitable really.

They made a contract, and they didn't live up to it, even after being given several months extra.
Agreed. Its not even like the Brutal Legend case where Activison where just trying to protect Guitar Hero sales in their eternal plan to be evil.
Sparrow said:
Oh god no.

OH GOD NO.

[small]This will attract the Fo1 and Fo2 fanboys! DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'VE DONE, ESCAPIST? YOU'VE DOOMED US ALL![/small]
Nah, their whining voices have already given in around the time they saw Fallout 3 wasn't 2D isometric.

walls of cetepedes

Jul 12, 2009
Doug said:
Nah, their whining voices have already given in around the time they saw Fallout 3 wasn't 2D isometric.
Was that sarcasm?

Because if anything, the fanboys went into overdrive upon release.

If you've spent enough time on the Fallout Wiki, it's VERY prevalent.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Fat Man Spoon said:
Doug said:
Was that sarcasm?

Because if anything, the fanboys went into overdrive upon release.

If you've spent enough time on the Fallout Wiki, it's VERY prevalent.
I hadn't noticed to be honest - I only use the Wiki for finding out the locations of things I can't find out for myself (like the bobbleheads)

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Darrkon Fearlock said:
IdealistCommi said:
Damn, I was hoping this could be made. I still agree with Fat Man, they didn't hold up their end of the deal. Bloody shame.
Yeah, and pretty soon somebody is going to say this is tragic and they deserve better *cough* Duke Nukem Forever Supporters *cough cough*
Hehe, yeah; "They only took 8 years to get to playable demo stage dude, cut'em some slack!"