John Carmack Builds Lunar Lander to Win A Prize

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
John Carmack Builds Lunar Lander to Win A Prize

Doom creator John Carmack's Armadillo Aerospace successfully completed the Northrop Grumman Lunar Lander Challenge this Saturday, qualifying the team for the $1,000,000 prize.

Armadillo's 1900-lb landing craft, named Scorpius, successfully completed the challenge: Fly 50 meters (164 feet) into the air, land on a rocky simulated lunar landscape another 50 meters away, and then do it all over again in reverse. To simulate the amount of time necessary to escape the Moon's gravity, Scorpius had to have a minimum flight time of 180 seconds per each ascension.

Sounds tough, right? crash [http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/090913-lunar-lander-challenge.html] when they attempted to move on.

If neither of the other two competing teams - Masten Space Systems and Unreasonable Rocket - can complete the challenge by the contest's end date of October 31st, then Carmack and Armadillo will take home the $1,000,000 grand prize by default. And after that? Well, there's nowhere to go but up. Quoth father-of-PC-gaming Carmack:

[blockquote]Since the Lunar Lander Challenge is quite demanding in terms of performance, with a few tweaks our Scorpius vehicle actually has the capability to travel all the way to space. We'll be moving quickly to do higher-altitude tests, and we can go up to about 6000 feet here at our home base in Texas before we'll have to head to New Mexico where we can really push the envelope. We already have scientific payloads from universities lined up to fly as well, so this will be an exciting next few months for commercial spaceflight.[/blockquote]

In space, if Carmack's previous works have taught us anything, there will be aliens and demonspawn from Hell. Just think of this as a way for Carmack to take the fight to them first.

(Via Gizmodo [http://gizmodo.com/5358832/john-carmacks-armadillo-finally-wins-lunar-landing-challenge])

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
In space, if Carmack's previous works have taught us anything, there will be aliens and demonspawn from Hell. Just think of this as a way for Carmack to take the fight to them first.
I say we just destroy it now before it gets to Mars and kills us all.
Eh, Martians are fine. You really have to worry when a time machine gets created.

It's sad that a lunar lander made by the creator of Doom gets a few comments, but some kid breaking the Guitar Hero world record creates a mult-page hate-filled thread.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Forget that! Put Bitterman in the Scorpius vehicle and send him off to Stroggos. We must kill the Makron before the Strogg can invade Earth! It's our only hope!

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
Woooohoooo! Go Carmack!
NoMoreSanity said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
No, no, no, no.

We'll just let them develop a BFG as well. Then we can take care of those slimy monsters.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
how about we destroy Mars now before it gets to us and kills them all?
and then tea and biscuits.

Horray for... ummm... Lunar Lander of Doom!
(Pun Un-intended. or intended. I don't know.)

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
randommaster said:
It's sad that a lunar lander made by the creator of Doom gets a few comments, but some kid breaking the Guitar Hero world record creates a mult-page hate-filled thread.
What do you expect from this site?
Someone with a little bit of sanity left.

Ooooooh, feel the humiliation as my witty retort shames you in front of millions. My humor is optimal and you cannot stand up to the scathing that will be unleashed upon yourself. I win forever.

Mainly, I'd expect a little LESS hate from the masses, seeing as this isn't the usual gaming news site.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I like that John is looking beyond just the prize, and seeing real commercial applications for his construct. What is really needed is for a private firm to beat NASA to the moon or asteroids, showing it can be done.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
so Carmack is able to make a moon landing rocket AND code for the PS3 and multiple systems. hmmm sure looks like Gabe is running out of excuses

on a more serious note, that's awesome i know that Armadillo has had a lot of ups and downs with their rockets in the past, especially during the X-Prize

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
John Carmack: "Screw it, it's so hard trying to make Doom IV beat Crysis's graphics, it'd be easier to just go there... wait a minute"

Avernus

Jun 10, 2009
I'm officially in awe of Carmack now. I was impressed with his lime green lambourgini way back in the day (who else would choose such an amazingly ugly colour for such an amazing ride???), and id software in general, but I had literally no clue that this was his hobby.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Amnestic said:
to beat NASA to the moon
I think we're about 40 years too late for that.
The original moon landers contained parts for a time machine, so now the race is on to get the pieces and become emperor of the universe.

Nasa's been shown up before. When they were designing the solar arrays for the space station, they couldn't get anything to work. While they were out to lunch one day, a janitor starts messing with the modeling program and creates a working design. In your face rocket scientists.