NHL 10: Teaching Kids When It's Okay to Clobber Someone

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
NHL 10: Teaching Kids When It's Okay to Clobber Someone

Former EA Sports [http://canucks.nhl.com/] is that it teaches kids when it's okay to beat the crap out of someone.

Linden endorsed the game and its realistic fighting mechanic while giving it a try at a Vancouver retailer on Monday, the day before it hit the shelves. The game's new first-person fighting system lets players grab opponents' jerseys and make "fist to face contact [http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10125812&catid=24300]," which Linden described as "very cool." He also noted that the game could teach children that sometimes, when people get too far out of line, it's necessary to correct their behavior by pounding them into goo.

"Fighting in hockey is not something you necessarily want to promote, but at the same time, you want to make children understand that it is part of the game and in the right circumstances is necessary," he said. "That's part of the game, it's been part of the game for a long time. I think kids that are involved in the game learn to understand that as they grow and mature."

Linden, who plays earlier versions of the NHL games with sick and disabled kids through charities like Ronald McDonald House and Canuck Place, said he's a fan of the franchise because it gives them a chance to enjoy hockey even if they can't get out to actually play the game. "They love to say they laid a beatdown on Trevor Linden," he added.

And despite his belief that fighting has a place in hockey, he doesn't want to see hordes of ten-year-olds lining up to drop the gloves, saying it's up to parents and coaches to teach kids to play the game properly. "They need to be taught hockey is a game of respect," Linden said. "That comes from the people most important in their lives."

Source: Canadian Press [http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5jUPst8rEHaxYSzJ4SaogpQSmJMjQ]

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Actually, I find this to be pretty good news. Up till' now, hockey has only taught our kids two things:

1. Always wear a helmet.
2. Invest in a good dental plan while you still can.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Well, this certainly won't help the argument that games don't cause violence. I really just wish this guy kept his opinions to himself, cause now we have to deal with kids saying Mr. Linden says its okay to attack your class-mates.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
bue519 said:
Well, this certainly won't help the argument that games don't cause violence. I really just wish this guy kept his opinions to himself, cause now we have to deal with kids saying Mr. Linden says its okay to attack your class-mates.
Why, is it not?

DiamondJim

Sep 27, 2008
I almost died of heart failure when I saw something hockey related in the news feed.

OT: I agree with this man. It might be a topic of contention sometimes, but I am a believer that fighting will always have a place in hockey. It is possible to have fights and still maintain respect in the game, any hockey fan will tell you that. Knowing when to drop the gloves is essential, and kids should know that not every brawler is a goon, and not every goon is a brawler.

Go Bruins!

hansari

May 31, 2009
I dunno...I was always under the impressions there was a good reason why there is no "little league boxing"...

Epictank of Wintown

Jan 8, 2009
I agree with this. It's a pretty blatant fact that referees can't see everything that goes on out there on the field of play (in any sport), and what I really like about hockey is that players can enforce the rules of hockey as they need to. For example, if someone lays a dirty hit or a cheap hit on one of your teammates, it's perfectly okay to beat the shit out of him for being a douchebag.

After two or three times of getting your ass kicked, you're probably not gonna cheapshot somebody again. Either that or you're gonna get really good at fighting.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Epictank of Wintown said:
I agree with this. It's a pretty blatant fact that referees can't see everything that goes on out there on the field of play (in any sport), and what I really like about hockey is that players can enforce the rules of hockey as they need to. For example, if someone lays a dirty hit or a cheap hit on one of your teammates, it's perfectly okay to beat the shit out of him for being a douchebag.

After two or three times of getting your ass kicked, you're probably not gonna cheapshot somebody again. Either that or you're gonna get really good at fighting.
It's refreshing to know that some people understand the etiquette for fighting in hockey. There is NEVER a "random" fight. There is always a reason for it. And in 99% of the cases, it's to police actions like cheap shots that go unnoticed by the refs. Fighting actually prevents more violence from occurring (in most cases...the few Bertuzzi-Moore or McSorely-Brasher incidences highlight what kind of lawlessness would happen if fighting were abolished). It's good to teach kids this at young age so they don't go around with a careless stick and a dangerous attitude. Let them know there are consequences for their actions. Two thumbs up Linden (still, the 'nucks suck :p )

I strongly suggest people read "The Code" by Ross Bernstein. One of the best hockey books ever written.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
That's right. Fighting is totally just part of the game. That's why people who fight sit in the penalty box afterward. It's their reward, if you will. Because it's all in how the game is played. Just like icing and slashing.

Actually, there's a reason certain things are penalized. Because they're against the rules. I get the whole point that refs can't watch every player all the time, but you know what? That's an issue in all sports, and for most of them, player fights are serious offenses. In the NHL, it's just a time-out. It's a completely one-dimensional draw to make up for the fact that there aren't enough Hockey Fans in the US compared to other major league sports (with the possible exception of Major League Soccer).

Really, fighting is only a North American hockey thing. It's not allowed in the Olympics and it's not allowed in the European Leagues. Goons would get ejected from the game in those leagues.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
The_ModeRazor said:
bue519 said:
Why, is it not?
Well, since it seems like we just got people to stop associating school shootings with Doom, this crap will only serve to start the argument again that games cause violence.

Aerodyamic

Aug 14, 2009
HobbesMkii said:
That's right. Fighting is totally just part of the game. That's why people who fight sit in the penalty box afterward. It's their reward, if you will. Because it's all in how the game is played. Just like icing and slashing.
You only get a penalty for icing if it's obviously being used as an attempt to waste time, and it's a 2 minute minor for 'Unsportmanslike Conduct'.

On Topic: I grew up watch hockey throughout the 80's and 90's, and I miss the good old days, when Chris Probert and Tie Domi would whup the holy hell out of each other. Good on Pronger, even if he was a douche-bag about leaving the Oilers because his wife is a ****.

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
Hockey is the only sport that allows you to take out your "agressions" and not get thrown out of a game for it (well, within reason, of course). I mean, some players are only out there TO fight (I'm looking at you, Brashear).

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
bue519 said:
The_ModeRazor said:
bue519 said:
Why, is it not?
Well, since it seems like we just got people to stop associating school shootings with Doom, this crap will only serve to start the argument again that games cause violence.
Why bother with ignorant people. They are meant to be ignored.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Aerodyamic said:
HobbesMkii said:
You only get a penalty for icing if it's obviously being used as an attempt to waste time, and it's a 2 minute minor for 'Unsportmanslike Conduct'.

On Topic: I grew up watch hockey throughout the 80's and 90's, and I miss the good old days, when Chris Probert and Tie Domi would whup the holy hell out of each other. Good on Pronger, even if he was a douche-bag about leaving the Oilers because his wife is a ****.
I think you meant Bobby Probert there. Man, he and Tie Domi had some of the best tilts I've ever watched.

And yes, Fighting should be allowed in hockey. I always laugh when a batter charges the mound, or someone gets shoved in basketball, and you'd have two or three people ejected from the game and given fines and suspensions. That's a little over the top.

You have to have fighting in hockey. There are too many cheap shot artists in the game, and someone has to make sure they stay in line and play the game cleanly. The refs cannot see everything, and the game would slow down far too much is they started bringing in refs in the box reviewing tape from different angles, and there'd be too many calls during the game. Hey, if two grown adults want to beat the snot out of each other on the ice. Then hey, no problem. People love watching MMA and boxing do they not? They have less protection then a hockey player.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Aerodyamic said:
Good on Pronger, even if he was a douche-bag about leaving the Oilers because his wife is a ****.
Looks like someone's still a little ticked off about that. Poor Edmonton, no one seems to give them a break these days. I'd compare them to Buffalo for one of the unluckiest teams in the league, but at least the Oilers have a few cups in their history.