Paltalk Launches New Lawsuit Against MMOG Makers

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Paltalk Launches New Lawsuit Against MMOG Makers

Paltalk [http://www.paltalk.com/], which recently settled a patent infringement tussle with Microsoft, has launched a new lawsuit against Turbine, Sony and other MMOG makers over their alleged infringement of the same technology.

Paltalk has filed suit against the makers of several popular MMOGs currently on the market, claiming the data-sharing technology employed in their games violates patents it purchased from the defunct company HearMe in 2002. Along with Sony and Turbine, the suit names Activision Blizzard, NCsoft and Jagex as defendants. As it did in the case against Microsoft, the New York-based company filed the action in the eastern district of Texas, described by Christopher Donnelly of the law firm Donnelly Conroy & Gelhaar LLP as a "plaintiff-friendly jurisdiction."

The situation for the defendants is complicated by the fact that Microsoft chose to settle with Paltalk [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90173-Microsoft-Finishes-the-Fight-in-Xbox-Live-Lawsuit] when the case came to court in March this year. Details of the settlement weren't made public but as Donnelly noted, it not only gives Paltalk "crowing rights" but also means that Microsoft acknowledged the validity of Paltalk's claims, which will make it difficult for the companies named in the new suit to deny them.

Paltalk's specific demands haven't been made public but according to Mass High Tech [http://www.masshightech.com/stories/2009/09/14/daily32-Turbine-on-defense-of-patent-suit.html] the company claims it has suffered damages in "at least the tens of millions of dollars." In its lawsuit against Microsoft, Paltalk asked for $90 million.

Source: Boston Globe [http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2009/09/16/westwoods_turbine_inc_named_in_patent_infringement_lawsuit/]

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Is Paltalk another one of those 'patent vulture' companies which is stocked with high power lawyers to sue the shit out of anyone who infringes even slightly on their ridiculous patent?

It seems interesting that they would only now start sueing over patent infringment considering that ActiBlizz's MMO has been out for - what, 5 years now? I assume Turbine is over DDO? That's been out for some three years as I recall.

Edit: Turbine could be over LOTRO as well, which has been out ~2 years.

And by "interesting" I mean "Typical" in that they seem to have waited until the moment where they can gouge the maximum amount of money from these companies.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
They really should put a limit on the number of years you can wait to sue someone for using something you "created". Granted they are still using it, but as said above, they have been using it for years. You shouldn't be able to lie in wait til a company is at it's potential high point, and then sue them for 100 million dollars.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Sounds like a new greedy company is on the scene.
damn them. damn them all. That money should be going to me for my new avatar. and then taken by Fat Man Spoon because I copied him.
meh. everyone is getting greedy. aaaarrrggghhhh.

Ironic

Sep 30, 2008
Another reasons not to play MMOGs, you just purchased something thats technically stolen property.

Rathy

Aug 21, 2008
Ironic said:
Another reasons not to play MMOGs, you just purchased something thats technically stolen property.
Except for the part where Microsoft was under the same lawsuit, just earlier, for console games...

Regardless, its a pretty stupid lawsuit as I see it. Looking at the last instance of it from the last time this came up here, it sounds like it is just vulturing. Microsoft settling makes it weird by the claims, but I'd be curious to see what happens with this new group.

walls of cetepedes

Jul 12, 2009
Greyfox105 said:
damn them. damn them all. That money should be going to me for my new avatar. and then taken by Fat Man Spoon because I copied him.
Aye right you did.

I'm sueing you for...

1 MEEELION dollars!

BWAHAHAHA

oshin

Apr 25, 2008
Maybe i should set up some vague patents and try and cash in on some big companys too. Hey microsoft, how dare you steal my idea for having a little chatbox inside a game people play online !

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
What in the name of Jesus do Paltalk actually DO? Never heard of them before. They're sueing people who have so much money they could physically hire so many lawyers to populate China, and yet they've never done anything in their god-given lives. How the hell can they do this?

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
Paltalk is basically a subscription based chatroom program that allows voice and video as well.
The PalTalk complaint summarizes two former HearMe patents: one, filed in 1998, covers a group messaging server that organizes group lists of players. The second patent covers software that aggregates messages from members of a group to more efficiently maintain consistent communication between host computers, according to the complaint.

So basically, it sounds like they can sue anyone that uses voice chat, so who's next? Ventrilo? Teamspeak?

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
I should go ahead and patent a method of combining oxygen with blood, and then sue everyone for breathing. Double on hospitals, because they have machines that do that too.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
MurderousToaster said:
What in the name of Jesus do Paltalk actually DO? Never heard of them before. They're sueing people who have so much money they could physically hire so many lawyers to populate China, and yet they've never done anything in their god-given lives. How the hell can they do this?
They bought some patents off a company that went bankrupt and is using those patents to sue large companies for stupidly large sums of money.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Fat Man Spoon said:
Greyfox105 said:
Aye right you did.

I'm sueing you for...

1 MEEELION dollars!

BWAHAHAHA
Fixified.

Also, this lawsuit defies logic and must be stopped.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
I'm constantly wondering how much of these patents are simply common sense solutions to the predictable future demands of digital entertainment. There's just so much patent infringement that either many of the patents are too simple to actually be patentable... or a lot of companies are knowingly stealing complicated technology plans.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Im not saying that fire can solve this but Im not saying it can't

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
I hate patent campers.
cleverlymadeup said:
it would be nice if someone found previous art and issued a patent challenge
That would be nice, but I suspect MS tried that already. And really, for something so ludicrously simple, the prior art could readily not exist in patent form, which is the easy way to prove its existence.

The whole thing reminds me of the frivolous patents like the one for the combover, only turned evil.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
oh jesus this douche bag again? His whole case is made null by the fact that he's waited more than a decade to do anything about it. Fucking patent camper hope he gets shot.