Microsoft Will Wipe Gamerscores for Shadow Complex Cheating

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Microsoft Will Wipe Gamerscores for Shadow Complex Cheating

Microsoft is not kidding around when it comes to its anti-cheat policies for Shadow Complex - it's even willing to go as far as reset your entire Gamerscore if it catches you fooling around.

Microsoft has grim tidings [http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/09/15/a-message-to-the-shadow-complex-community.aspx] for those who would cheat at Shadow Complex. "This week the Xbox LIVE enforcement team will begin taking steps against players verified as cheaters," Microsoft's Major Nelson declared. "These players have not only violated the spirit of the game, but they have also violated the Xbox LIVE Terms of Use."

Microsoft won't just be issuing mass slaps on the wrist, however. Cheating in Shadow Complex is a serious matter to the company, and if you get caught, well, you could be in for a whole world of hurt. Obviously, the first thing that could happen is the deletion of your name from the Shadow Complex leaderboard. Not so bad. Well, the next step's the kicker: "The Xbox LIVE enforcement team will investigate individual players removed from the leaderboards for potential resetting of the user's gamerscore. The reset would include all games, not just Shadow Complex."

Do you really want to have your thousands of gamerpoints wiped just for a bit of glory on the Shadow Complex leaderboards or the thrill of "sticking it to M$?" If you said yes, well maybe this will convince you otherwise:

"Those accounts determined by the Xbox enforcement team to have their gamerscore reset will be branded on Xbox LIVE as belonging to a cheater, and this information will be reflected in the gamer profile, both on Xbox.com and in the Xbox Dashboard on the console."

So not only will you lose all your precious gamerpoints, but you'll have to suffer the stigma of being branded a cheater for the world to know. I suppose whatever kind of crazy fool gets off on cheating just to get to the top of a leaderboard in an XBLA game might not really care no matter what Microsoft does to them, but whoever would consider it, consider this a warning.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
I expect people to start blaming Microsoft for discovering their cheating and taking appropriate measures.

hansari

May 31, 2009
I guess this is the worst thing Microsoft can do to a cheater...you know, without costing the company money.

Banned for life [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94315-Monster-Hunter-3-Cheater-Banned-Until-9999] would have been more powerful, but then again, you also lose any further Xboxlive subscription payments...

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Meh heh heh.

You just know this has already happened to some poor sucker who his now most likely writhing in pain over losing is perfect Halo/GoW/COD 4 gamerscore.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
wow...no gamerscore and branded a cheater?

but i dont care what live tards think of me and haveing my GS wiped would allow me to play all my old games and unlock them all again...

if only i had shadow complex, i could get a cheater tag fr my gamertag and then id have a custom profile without poaying for anythin
yay!

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
I'm assuming they'd brand you a cheater by replacing your "zone" like Pro or Underground with just the word "Cheater". Glad I never cheated - never even knew about cheats for the game and I could care less about the leaderboards. I'd be devastated if my 50k+ score went away. Let's hope they have some really good detection and insight to brand cheaters, because it would suck to be falsely accused and have everything reset for nothing.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Angron said:

but i dont care what live tards think of me and haveing my GS wiped would allow me to play all my old games and unlock them all again...

if only i had shadow complex, i could get a cheater tag fr my gamertag and then id have a custom profile without poaying for anythin
yay!
Can anyone actually make sense of this?

Anyway, you can't re-unlock any of the removed achievements. Ever.

And you have a custom profile for free? You do know you don't pay to edit your profile, yeah?

Knonsense

Oct 22, 2008
Keane Ng said:
"Those accounts determined by the Xbox enforcement team to have their gamerscore reset will be branded on Xbox LIVE as belonging to a cheater, and this information will be reflected in the gamer profile, both on Xbox.com and in the Xbox Dashboard on the console."
Kinda reminds me of how they would change your name to "Thief" in Link's Awakening if you stole from the store. I wonder if anyone will do this on purpose.

Textbook Bobcat

Sep 9, 2009
Not really a punishment, but then again I'm not the target.

I expect if I was sad enough to glitch Gamerscore onto my card it would bother me. Wiping gamerscore AND placing cheater seems a bit overkill really. I would just start a new account if I was reset to zero anyway.

Let them keep the Gamerscore but brand them a cheater, much better punishment.

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
Keane Ng said:

So not only will you lose all your precious gamerpoints, but you'll have to suffer the stigma of being branded a cheater for the world to know. I suppose whatever kind of crazy fool gets off on cheating just to get to the top of a leaderboard in an XBLA game might not really care no matter what Microsoft does to them, but whoever would consider it, consider this a warning.
I know I shouldn't... But...

... Nazi-Germany much? I mean the part about "branding" the cheaters.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
Joshimodo said:
Angron said:

yay!
Can anyone actually make sense of this?

Anyway, you can't re-unlock any of the removed achievements. Ever.

And you have a custom profile for free? You do know you don't pay to edit your profile, yeah?
u do realise people pay stupid amounts for things like avatar clothes to stand out right?

and my point was, i dont care about gamerscore, cause all it proves is ive got nothing better to do to a bunch of random people on the internet

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
Am i the only one who wouldn't care?, gamer score doesn't do anything and proves nothing
though no one would want to play with someone branded a cheater, one would think your friends IRL would still play with you

I'd only worry if it was a perma-ban

(okay some people don't care either, awesome)

CLEVERSLEAZOID

Mar 4, 2009
I think cheaters get what they deserve. If they are going to go against the rules of the game merely to be number one on a list of people they'll never ever meet [which is why I think leaderboards in general are pointless], then they deserve to be categorized and set aside from everyone else [Yes, Xvito, JUST like Nazi-Germany] just so people can see how pathetic said cheater really is.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Textbook Bobcat said:
Let them keep the Gamerscore but brand them a cheater, much better punishment.
I agree, except lock their gamer score so they can never get another point. That would be more torture than a simple reset. That would almost force them to make a new account because their life of getting achievements would be rendered meaningless.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Angron said:
u do realise people pay stupid amounts for things like avatar clothes to stand out right?

and my point was, i dont care about gamerscore, cause all it proves is ive got nothing better to do to a bunch of random people on the internet
What has avatar clothing got to do with what you said? The edits made to your profile simply make your name/location/bio and motto all say "I'm a dirty cheater", and your gamerscore set to 0, and achievements permanently locked. How is that anything like an avatar?