Annoy Your Friends With Uncharted 2 Tweets

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Annoy Your Friends With Uncharted 2 Tweets

Naughty Dog's Uncharted 2: Among Thieves will be the first PS3 game to include automated Twitter support to give your friends live updates on just how well your Nathan Drake is doing.

Our colleagues over at TheBBPS [http://thebbps.com/articles/content/uncharted-2-features-twitter-integration.html] have been spending some time in the Uncharted 2 beta, and while messing around with the options discovered something very interesting - the ability to synchronize your game with your Twitter account and let your buddies know as you progress through the game.

There are six available options right now according to the screencaps, meaning that Uncharted 2 will Tweet for you every time you:

-Connect to Multiplayer
-Upload a Cinema File
-Complete a Chapter
-Earn Money in Multiplayer
-Earn a Trophy
-Reach a Level Milestone

This functionality seems to already be live, as seen in this Tweet [http://twitter.com/arne360/status/4047654998] by Naughty Dog's own Arne Meyer. It's certainly an interesting idea, and might well help foster a sense of community and/or competition between friends who both have Uncharted 2 - I need to catch up, Frank's a chapter ahead of me! - but it could also just make people want to stop following people who are playing the game lest their Twitter list get flooded by dozens of Nathan Drakes.

(Via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=223551?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS])

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
Thats kinda cool, but I imagine peoples followers would get quite annoyed with this.

Woem

May 28, 2009
For the voyeurs among us (don't look at me!) you can follow all these automatic tweets live: http://twitter.com/search?q=%23UNCHARTED2

And it looks the tweets are internationalized. I see this one for instance:
monstertrakesp ha alcanzado el nivel 10 jugando a #UNCHARTED2: http://www.naughtydog.com/stats/index/monstertrak

Roamin11

Jan 23, 2009
Its actully very smart advertisment idea, until people get sick of seeing the damn tweets.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
I like the concept but it's going to be annoying as fuck if you have a lot of gamer friends on Twitter.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
I don't like David Cameron, I find most things about him annoying, hollow or offensive BUT "too many twits make a twat" is a good summary of my feelings towards this narcissistic bullshit.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Yay! It's not like we have enough Twatter spam (and spam in general) yet.

Sigh. Would they just get back to Jak and Daxter? I don't find this Indiana Jones ripoff particulary intresting or original. And you can't exactly find good platformers just lying around.

hansari

May 31, 2009
I'm pretty sure this is just an opportunity to promote Twitter. Especially now that recent studies suggest people 25 and under don't make up more than like 16% of all twitter accounts...

Kind of a shame...I would have thought this was something that would be in the alley of those who created "XFire"

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Kollega said:

Sigh. Would they just get back to Jak and Daxter? I don't find this Indiana Jones ripoff particulary intresting or original. And you can't exactly find good platformers just lying around.
Well cut them some slack. they have a hard choice to make. stay fuzzy, or save the world

fuzzy, of course means rolling in precious MONIES and saving the world means saattempting to only make good games.

DRADIS C0ntact

Mar 26, 2009
I don't use twitter, but this is an interesting thing. I just recently started playing Champion's Online and found out you can make twitter updates from in-game there as well.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
i hate twitter, i really do

i'm not sure which one i actually hate more, twitter or people who update their facebook with every single thing they are doing during the day.

i guess it can be useful but i really don't see how it can be

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
8-Bit_Jack said:
Kollega said:

Well cut them some slack. they have a hard choice to make. stay fuzzy, or save the world

fuzzy, of course means rolling in precious MONIES and saving the world means saattempting to only make good games.
You know what? I don't blame them. But still,it's slightly disappointing - Jak's franchise was original,Uncharted is not. Also Jak wasn't a racist.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Kollega said:
8-Bit_Jack said:
Kollega said:

You know what? I don't blame them. But still,it's slightly disappointing - Jak's franchise was original,Uncharted is not. Also Jak wasn't a racist.

as far as we know anyway. He never did seem too terribly thrilled to work with Sig...

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Hmm this could give great and terrible power to gamers
tweets whenever you kill someone on halo or cod
Or whenever you switch places in forza 2

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
I think I'd have less friends all of a sudden. That is, if I used Twitter in the first place.