Tron's Light Cycles Get a Lego Facelift

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Tron's Light Cycles Get a Lego Facelift

Is there anything Lego can't do? Based on this strikingly apt recreation of the most famous scene from 1982's Tron, the answer is "no."

"But Nex," you say, "Tron's light cycles are hyper futuristic and Lego blocks are decidedly retro. That can't never ever work!"

That was my feeling when I originally read the headline in my RSS, but on taking a peek at the work, I'm extremely impressed. Everything from the solid wake following the bikes to the sparse, sterile environment of the film's virtual reality is spot on.

It's so well constructed that I'm left wondering how awesome it would be if Lego were to acquire the rights to the film. You have no idea how often I find myself in need of a tiny, plastic Bruce Boxleitner.

I'm sure Tiny Bruce would join me in giving an extra gold star to project creator "2x4," who was kind enough to offer instructions on how to put this thing together on the project's Flickr page [http://www.flickr.com/photos/-2x4-/sets/72157622265232646/].

(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/-2x4-/3909209784/])

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Holy crap, that's cool...

I may pull out my old Lego collection and try to make that myself :D

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Lego is freaking awesome.
It was the best toy I had growing up, and I'll pass that joy to my kids.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
I think Lego is right in line with Tron. Tron's always seemed more campy retro to me than "hyper futuristic" but that might just be because I was born after the film was released.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
...thus proving that Lego is the greatest resource in human history. Now if you'll excuse me, the Lego meter is running out for my Lego car.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
You have no idea how often I find myself in need of a tiny, plastic Bruce Boxleitner.
well then you could make a good Babylon 5 model, tho i think a lego Jeff Bridges would be a bit better. cause frankly i don't think there's a Lego Big Lebowski coming anytime soon