Half-Life 2: Now With Vocal Sound Effects

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Half-Life 2: Now With Vocal Sound Effects

An enterprising (and dedicated) modder has replaced the sound effects in Half-Life 2 with ones that give the game a slightly more ... "human" touch.

Making sound effects for guns is something that humans have been doing since ... well, probably since guns were invented. "Pew pew pew!" That's either a laser, or a YouTube [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HollywoodSilencer] video.

With the exception of some ambient sound effects and the voice acting, his mod (available here [http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=79093]) will replace every sound effect in Half-Life 2 with one generated by his own voice - all in all, he ended up recording and replacing an impressive 1327 sound files in total. Weaponry, footsteps, vehicle noises - they're all man-made, and while it strikes me that this mod is something that could wear on you very, very easily, it's pretty amusing to watch. The first half of the video or so is just him demonstrating the various sound effects - skip to about 3:35 to see some gameplay.

I think my favorite part about this is just imagining Gordon Freeman fighting the Combine while making machinegun noises as he fires. I guess he's not such a silent protagonist after all.

(Via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5362193/half+life-2-mod-is-all-pew-pew-pew])

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
Haha thats great. My favorite part is the sound effect for the handgun.

"Bah, bah, bah, bah."

Aug 25, 2009
That's pretty nifty, must have took a lot of comitment. I would like to see someone do somthing similar for Fallout 3, all those squishy head explosions would be hard to imitate.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
And now whenever I ever see Gordon Freeman again I'm going to be imagining him making gun sound effects.

I'm not sure whether to thank the mod maker for the hilarity that offers or slap him for permanently putting a slightly silver lined black spot in the character :p

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Wow, that must've taken alot of time and dedication.

Perhaps Valve should hire him to work on HL2: Episode 3. Maybe it'll cut down the 40 year wait time to only 35 years. Wouldn't that be wonderful.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
This is the greatest mod my eyes have ever witness.

ae86gamer said:
Haha thats great. My favorite part is the sound effect for the handgun.

"Bah, bah, bah, bah."
Hahaha mines to.

CLEVERSLEAZOID

Mar 4, 2009
It's nice to see a modder actually providing something different from your usual mods, quite a funny touch to the game, but I too imagine it getting to the point you want to pull your own ears off.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Oh my god, after watching this video I will never see Half Life the same way again.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I'm so getting this mod.

Anyone else notice that the bombs that the helicopter dropped sounded like those weird little imp things from Zelda: Wind Waker?

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
What's intresting is that he's Russian. He says "next" when picking weapons.

Sometimes it looks like entire territory of the former Soviet Union is a natural habitat of all things Crazy Awesome.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I think the weapons sound kinda cheap. We need a Bruce Campbell BOOM for the shotgun and rocket launcher.