2K Announces Minerva's Den DLC for BioShock 2

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
2K Announces Minerva's Den DLC for BioShock 2

2K Games has announced Minerva's Den, an upcoming DLC expansion for BioShock 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Bioshock-2-Pc/dp/B0016BVYAM/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1281027179&sr=1-3] that will finally bring some meaningful new single-player content to the game.

The BioShock 2 DLC situation hasn't exactly been a non-stop cavalcade of awesomeness so far. Most of it has focused on multiplayer and the one single-player expansion that's come out, Protector's Trials [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101817-Protect-More-Little-Sisters-in-BioShock-2-DLC], was little more than recycled levels and pointless exercises in defending a Little Sister from onrushing Splicers. But now it looks like 2K is finally ready to come across with something worthwhile.

In Mivera's Den, players will explore Rapture Central Computing, a never-before-seen area of the city packed with deadly Splicers, upgraded security bots and even a brand new model of Big Daddy. Players will have access to high tech weaponry and a powerful new Plasmid as they join up with Dr. Tenenbaum to free the district from the clutches of a tyrant and uncover yet more dark secrets about Andrew Ryan, the increasingly villainous founder of Rapture.

"Minerva's Den is a substantial addition that will give players more of what they're looking for: more story, more narrative, more gameplay and more of Rapture," said 2K Games [http://www.2kgames.com/] President Christoph Hartmann. "The core team has created an exciting product that further enhances the mystery and allure of the world of Rapture. Minerva's Den will be a fitting conclusion to the BioShock 2 saga."

That "fitting conclusion" remark sounds a bit odd in light of the fact that last month, Hartmann described the Protector's Trials release as "just the beginning" for single-player DLC. Is it really the end for BioShock 2? We've dropped a line to 2K Games and we'll let you know what they say.

Minerva's Den was created by BioShock 2 studio 2K Marin for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Prices and release date have not yet been revealed.

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
I'm wondering how this is supposed to work. Are they going to add it to the actual game, like AC2's segments 12 and 13, or is it an "extra" area that doesn't properly fit into the original story?

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
I haven't played Bioshock 2, but I don't want Andrew Ryan to become "increasingly villainous". By the time I finished Bioshock 1 I felt quite bad for him, because he tried to achieve his dream and it just got warped on the way. I saw him as a great tragic figure rather than a villain.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
Broken Blade said:
I'm wondering how this is supposed to work. Are they going to add it to the actual game, like AC2's segments 12 and 13, or is it an "extra" area that doesn't properly fit into the original story?
I'm curious about that, too. I can't imagine how they'd be able to shoehorn an entirely new area into Bioshock 2 without going the route of the wholly-cut-off-from-the-main-game Challenge Rooms from the original.

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
Truly-A-Lie said:
I haven't played Bioshock 2, but I don't want Andrew Ryan to become "increasingly villainous". By the time I finished Bioshock 1 I felt quite bad for him, because he tried to achieve his dream and it just got warped on the way. I saw him as a great tragic figure rather than a villain.
I think Andrew's been characterised enough, but a new experience in Rapture sounds great.

magicman4443

Mar 25, 2010
Broken Blade said:
From the sounds of the trial, I think we'll be entering as a completely different character from Delta, as this one seems to be taking place after Tenenbaum left us in the main campaign.

EDIT: Here's a different article that states we'll be a new character, and that Tenenbaum will be the one leading us into Minerva's Den.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=258845

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Nice to see that we are getting some single player action...its about time

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
magicman4443 said:
Broken Blade said:
From the sounds of the trial, I think we'll be entering as a completely different character from Delta, as this one seems to be taking place after Tenenbaum left us in the main campaign.

EDIT: Here's a different article that states we'll be a new character, and that Tenenbaum will be the one leading us into Minerva's Den.
It makes sense that there would be more than one prototype Big Daddy (if you're still a BD at all). After all, what kind of research lab keeps only a single prototype? There's always previous versions, or perhaps "new and improved" ones. It would also explain where the hell Tenenbaum disappeared to for most of the game.

ronodar

Apr 22, 2009
At least we will finally find out what happened to Dr. Tennebaum. Though does this mean that I have to restart the entire game?

Mr Smith

Apr 22, 2010
I'm playing through Bioshock 2 at the moment. It hasn't quite gripped me the way the first one did, but I'm still enjoying it. It will be nice to have something to fluff out the story a little more.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
This sounds like what I have been waiting for. I know people are just head over heels about Multiplayer nowadays, but I personally am not. I don't have anything against it, I just don't tend to have the time to put in to get really good at it.

What made Bioshock standout was a solid single player experience. The first Single player DLC was just a set of challeneges and after I saw it, I didn't bother downloading it. If this expansion is new single player content and story, well that will probably earn my money.

The Ultimate 2

Lord Of Madness
May 13, 2009
Catalyst6 said:
magicman4443 said:
Broken Blade said:

It makes sense that there would be more than one prototype Big Daddy (if you're still a BD at all). After all, what kind of research lab keeps only a single prototype? There's always previous versions, or perhaps "new and improved" ones. It would also explain where the hell Tenenbaum disappeared to for most of the game.
Good point, maybe we will find out what happened to subjects Alpha, Beta, and Gamma. Or for that matter why Ryan's profile picture looks different from the first game. I mean look Bioshock 1 Bioshock 2. Care to explain anybody?

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
megs1120 said:
Broken Blade said:
I'm curious about that, too. I can't imagine how they'd be able to shoehorn an entirely new area into Bioshock 2 without going the route of the wholly-cut-off-from-the-main-game Challenge Rooms from the original.
Off topic: your avatar looks like a brunnete version of the main villian in bioshock 2. Creepy.

OT: looks good and personally i thought that Protectors trials was a bit of a dissapointment.

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
Just saw a picture of the new Big Daddy, and am I the only one (I am aware of the irony) who thinks it's a female type?

Maybe I'm just crazy....

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Hmm... sounds at least interesting.

However, only time will tell if it will be the glourios expansion that improves the game like the "General Zod" expansion for Borderlands, or if it will be to little to late for our little big daddy adventure.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
A new character? I do hope that atleast they have a good story behind it.

And will it fit in with the rest of the story of Bioshock 2?

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
Shockolate said:
Just saw a picture of the new Big Daddy, and am I the only one (I am aware of the irony) who thinks it's a female type?

Maybe I'm just crazy....

looks like its the LEAST modified big daddy. however big daddies are like fallout 1 super mutants, they can be changed into unrecognizable shapes but they are still male and female.
Looks a bit like the "Knight in Shining Armor" Big Daddy to me. And I don't know where the hell you got the idea that they look female.

OP: Yes, yes, yes! This DLC is exactly what I wanted to see. Even more of Bioshock 2's great story is revealed, though I hope 2K doesn't get sloppy with it.