2K Games Finally Announces The Darkness Sequel

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
2K Games Finally Announces The Darkness Sequel

The Darkness 2 is a "beautiful nightmare," says 2K Games boss.

After years of rumors, 2K Games has finally announced that 2011 will see a sequel to the 2007 shooter The Darkness [http://www.amazon.com/Darkness-Xbox-360/dp/B000HX1P72/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1297205575&sr=8-2]. The game will continue the tale of former mafia hitman Jackie Estacado, who gained malevolent supernatural powers on his twenty-first birthday, and racked up a few deaths [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/unskippable/551-The-Darkness] in the process.

The Darkness 2 takes place three years after the events of the first game. Jackie is now the head of the Franchetti family, and has avoided using his powers as much as possible. The situation soon changes however, when an attempt on Jackie's life erupts into a full-scale gang war. The Darkness uses the situation to re-emerge, apparently setting Jackie on a path that will lead him to hell and back. 2K has brought award-winning comic book writer Paul Jenkins on board to write the story. Jenkins also helped to write the first game, as well as many issues of The Darkness comics.

2K president, Christoph Hartmann, described the game as a "stylized and beautiful nightmare." Marc Silvestri, co-creator of The Darkness comics, said fans of the comics had nothing to worry about. "Us fans have come to expect the worst," he said. "And sometimes we get it. But not with The Darkness 2. Yeah, call me biased, but this second installment of Jackie Estacado's epic saga is - in my humble opinion - one of the most brutally cool games I've ever played."

The game will apparently differentiate itself from other shooters through its light and dark mechanics, and the fact that players will be able to "Quad Wield," which is like dual-wielding, but with more limbs. As you can see from the screenshot - which is the currently the only image of the game - The Darkness 2 also sports stylized visuals that looks like the designers have infused the first game with the art style from Borderlands [http://www.amazon.com/Borderlands-Xbox-360/dp/B000WMEEB2/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1297205680&sr=1-1].

Sadly, Starbreeze Studios won't be returning to the series. Instead, development duties will fall to Digital Extremes. Digital Extremes has worked on a number of high-profile games, either pitching in on the multiplayer aspects - as with BioShock 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Bioshock-2-Xbox-360/dp/B0016BVYA2/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1297208825&sr=1-1] - or porting games to the PC - as with Homefront [http://www.amazon.com/Homefront-Xbox-360/dp/B003Q53VZC/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1297208851&sr=1-1]. It's solo games are few in number, but include the likes of Pariah [http://www.amazon.com/Pariah-Xbox/dp/B000784XGM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1297205619&sr=1-1] and Dark Sector [http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Sector-Xbox-360/dp/B000KLNLV4/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1297205655&sr=1-1].

The Darkness 2 is scheduled for release on Xbox 360, PC, and PS3 in the Fall.

Apr 28, 2008
Bitchin'

I loved the first one to death. The story was fantastic, and using The Darkness was just gleefully fun.

Although I'm curious as to how they're going to deal with the ending to the first game. Seemed like a pretty full ending there without much opening for a sequel.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
The first game was a hell of a lot of fun. Really looking forward to the second (hopefully with some brushed-up mechanics, too).

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Your kidding me!
I just re-rented this game 2 days ago and started wishing for a sequal.
Its.... so beautiful. I dont care if this game bombs or not, i want it. Now. Please?

Arluza

Jan 24, 2011
I enjoy the first game, the sequel may be fun too. Maybe the faces will work this time though?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I misread this and now I'm upset. I thought it was an Eternal Darkness sequel, you know a good game compared to that studios own Too Human garbage...Uhh...something to contribute to this thread...

The demo to the first one was cool? I liked the monsters sticking out of your ...out of your camera angle?

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Now I really need to finish the first one. It was one of the first game I picked up for my PS3, and after all these years I have yet to see the end credits.

BeastofShadow

Jun 29, 2009
Really enjoyed the first one at the time so this is good. I aslo liked Dark Sector (flawed as it was) so I'm now pretty happy.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Finally! Though it not being made by Starbreeze gives me pause, but I adored the first one, and can't wait.

XtremeMuffin

Dec 16, 2009
Friggin' finally! The Darkness is definitely my favorite Xbox game and I've been doubting a sequel since the updates were so far apart.

Mr Binary

Jan 24, 2011
Took them long enough. Loved the first one and I hope the second will be just as awesome as the first.

SplashyAxis

May 1, 2010
YES! I have looked forward to this news for a long time. I'm a little disappointed to read Starbreeze weren't working on this one, but Pariah is a great game so I'm not too concerned the folk at Digital Extremes are working on it.

Time to add another game to my must-buy list of 2011.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
The Darkness is Image Comics, is not?
I was taught to always distrust everything that come for Image... So... The Darkness is really good?

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I hope that they keep what made the first game interesting (the mechanics, the deep character involvement, Mr. Patton, Hell) and remove the things that didn't (boring small areas that pretend to be New York by Oblivion and are actually Generic City #22 by Pretentious Quake Mod, the main character's leisury gait). I hope they don't make the game any more like the thousands of generic modern shooters with a vague supernatural gimmick or like the Darkness comic (which is great on its terms, but the character development of the game makes it look like, well, a videogame by comparison).

If future developments suggest so, my only response will be \o/.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Yay, the first one was great!

Plus it had that scene, which is one of the best I've played in a game. And story was great.

I didn't think it left itself that open to a sequel though, given that
It's more or less implied that Jackie's thirst for revenge allowed the darkness to completely consume him.

ultratog1028

Mar 19, 2010
The first game was alright. In any other industry, it wouldn't have been sequel worthy. However, apparently that isn't the case here. Can't we just let some games stay at 1 (Bioshock *cough)?

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Diablo2000 said:
The Darkness is Image Comics, is not?
I was taught to always distrust everything that come for Image... So... The Darkness is really good?
The Walking Dead is also an Image comic. Not every comic they've published is bad. The game is good. I don't know about the comic.