2K Reveals The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
Bat Vader said:
I am happy to see that it will be a purely single player experience. Perhaps the well selling Bioshock Infinite and The Bureau: X-COM Declassified will show other developers and publishers that not every game needs multiplayer. I do like the idea of permadeath. Will that apply to the player character and their teammates or just their teammates?

It does sound like a pretty interesting game. I will most likely pre-order a copy in the next few days.
I really hope it's permadeath for everyone. Failing a mission and getting a squad wipe shouldn't end your game, just make it harder.

One of the things I like about XCOM. Also one of the reasons I try to make sure my backups aren't just a pack of noobs.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Pebkio said:
3rd-person squad-based real-time combat-sandwich? How does that... oh hell no... is this going to play like Dragon Age but with guns? I can't tell from the trailer because it's not even prerendered, thus even less useful than the sticky tissues Square Enix usually hands us... and I can't find any gameplay footage. Oh well, I guess I can wait for a while to decide if I'm going to hate the mechanics.

Btw, fighting off aliens in the 50s is about as appealing as playing as a big daddy in Rapture.
More likely, and/or hopefully at least, like Star Wars: Republic Commando, where your squad was completely controlled by the AI but you had a ton of context-sensitive actions you could tell them to perform, or switch their behavior between aggressive/defensive/etc.

OT: I would love for another tactical squad-based shooter. Outside of the Tom Clancy games I can't even think of one that's been released since 2005 (Mass Effect is discounted by the fact that the AI is utterly inept and you're better off leaving them to their own devices and doing everything yourself).

Glad to hear this hasn't been cancelled.

EDIT: Also, considering the gameplay of Bioshock 2 was far better than that of Bioshock, I'm looking forward to seeing how they handle this.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
The team based tactical shooter is also an endangered genre, therefore I am happy that this game still got released.

The date of august 20th is even better because that hits us right during the usual gaming drought and middle of summer holidays, so that means lots of free time to play this.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Live action trailer... yeah, I'm going to wait for some more before I make up my mind here. I would like a good squad based shooter with some twists such as should be expected in an Xcom game, but I'm going to be cautious here. I am intrigued though.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
hopefully this turns out well. The aesthetic and time period seem unique in the current market plus I already got a mainline XCOM so a spinoff that puts you in the middle of the action seems neat.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
*takes a gander around them forums*

Whoa. People are generally reacting to this in a sedate manner! Looks like all that was needed was a perspective change, then. First-person XCOM is a travesty, but a third-person game that reuses the first attempt's assets and setting, though? That's fine.

I don't have much hope for it, though. 2K burned its sympathy capital with that E3 showing, a few years back. I don't think I need to link to Noah Antwiler's fairly expressive (and excessive) reaction to it. My guess is it'll be compared to Enemy Unknown, judged to be inferior by the general press, and quickly forgotten about. This is, unfortunately, the attempt of a publisher that's at least trying to make *some* bank out of the capital it invested in the failed FPS.

I don't know. My reaction is a bit torn up between this:
<youtube=1TtGQnyPZ6g>

And understanding why 2K operated under the assumption that the strategy genre needed to be revitalized. I mean, the last five years have pretty much been Reboot Central, with publishers and dev teams deluding themselves into thinking that there's no market left for "classic" genres.

StashAugustine

Jan 21, 2012
So this looks to be exactly like Bioshock 2: could be good in its own right, but unnecessarily tied to a previous franchise.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
DaGobbo said:
Not interested in the least, this is the second time they are trying to market this game, just with a new title. Keep X-COM a non 3rd person shooter IP, thanks. There aren't enough X-Com style gameply as it is.
Too late.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-COM:_Enforcer

<youtube=3O0Z8Fv31l0>

I am utterly baffled by the sheer volume of people who are calling for "maintaining the status quo" and hating on experimental tangents of a series simply to maintain the "purity" of said series that it doesn't even freaking have.

Be ashamed of yourself, please.

OT: I'll need more than a live action trailer, but I see they're taking steps in an interesting direction.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
lacktheknack said:
DaGobbo said:
Not interested in the least, this is the second time they are trying to market this game, just with a new title. Keep X-COM a non 3rd person shooter IP, thanks. There aren't enough X-Com style gameply as it is.
Too late.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-COM:_Enforcer

<youtube=3O0Z8Fv31l0>

I am utterly baffled by the sheer volume of people who are calling for "maintaining the status quo" and hating on experimental tangents of a series simply to maintain the "purity" of said series that it doesn't even freaking have.

Be ashamed of yourself, please.

OT: I'll need more than a live action trailer, but I see they're taking steps in an interesting direction.
Agreed completely. This is why we get endless sequels and franchise tie-ins right here, because every time something that dares to change things around a little bit is announced, 'fans' of the series start bitching about how it isn't exactly the same as the last game. It's not exactly as though there's still a ton of uncharted waters for games to explore, and I for one welcome another shooter that finally dares to go back to having more depth than a point&click adventure.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
In case anyone's interested, IGN did a rewind video to point out the various easter eggs within the live action trailer. There's some pretty interesting stuff hidden in there.

OT: I'm accepting of this idea, but I need to wait and see more. Due to the development hell this game has been stuck in, it rightfully deserves skepticism as to whether or not it will actually be good.

Back when this game was first announced, I didn't want anything to do with it. From what I remember, there was no peep about EU even existing yet. And it seemed like the legacy, and memory of X-COM would be used to make another motherfucking FPS game.

Sure, X-COM: Enforcer would've probably remained the arguably 'worse' game with even less to do with X-COM. But the reason why XCOM (2010) was a far uglier game was because it was being used as an excuse to shit out another FPS game. Because: The Market, apparently.

Now that time has passed, EU came out and has been quite successful and the possibility for more proper TBS XCOM games to follow... I am okay with this game's existance. Because EU has taken that "torch", and will probably continue carrying it onward.

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't use XCOM's ideas to make spinoffs games in other genres. I mean, I absolutely loved Metal Gear Rising. A spinoff of a completely utterly different gameplay genre altogether, within one of my favorite game franchises. And I loved it.

Still, I need to see more of their new take on this game. It's bound to have changed significantly, and it seems like 2k Marin is taking this seriously now. I genuinely hope it will be interesting.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
I think I'd be interested in seeing a more human story with the setting. I just wonder whether they are going to create that.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
I Have high hopes for it. It's a time period that is criminally underused in media and I think it could have real potential. Not something I buy day 1, but probably something I would buy over the holiday Steam sale.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
It seemed really interesting until I read the part about having to keep the existence of aliens secret to the public.

I really hate those kinds of stories for their stupidity because guess what even in the sixties you can?t keep something that big a secret.

I?m not saying that I won?t pick up the game if its good just because of that one thing but I do think less of the game thanks to it.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
I wonder why they couldn't have just called it The Bureau.I mean a 50s Men in Black shooter with aliens that at least look on the surface to be completely different from the X-Com games proper should be enough to warrant its own brand.

I guess they felt they needed brand recognition but honestly, did they really think that people who were fans of the strategy games would just go out, look at the title on box, (which presumably has pictures of the not in any way turn based combat on the back) and do anything but rage?

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
If this ends up being an actual tactical shooter, a la Ghost Recon, SWAT, or Rainbow Six, I'd be happy about it, I think. However, we all know, in the current AAA game environment, that will most likely not happen. It'll be a boring third person chest-high cover game where every once in a while you have to tell your sniper AI buddy to shoot a certain far-away guy. I'm not writing this game off already, but my hopes are deep in a well right now.

Mark D. Stroyer

Apr 12, 2011
Okay, so guys? This game didn't actually get re-revealed. We saw this already, they just put it on the back burner for a couple years, because the last time it popped up, it was still "Mass Effect: 1962". Same gameplay, setup, enemy...

To be fair, it was kinda forgettable then, too.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
Staying true to the "classic XCOM formula," The Bureau will be a strictly single-player affair. I wasn't terribly impressed with the multiplayer component of Enemy Unknown, and XCOM has been a traditionally single player experience, so I'm not terribly distraught by the fact that the development time was spent focusing on the single player portion, rather than the requisite balancing act of multiplayer.
I'm not going to say yay or nay on this until more comes out but 1 thing I noticed was the lack of tacking on a crappy multiplayer mode just because some business exec thinks every game has to have one (ie. spec ops: the line). I'm the type that enjoys a good single player game and may not if ever touch the MP side of it.