2TB Xbox One S Arrives Next Month

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
2TB Xbox One S Arrives Next Month

The bigger/smaller console hits shelves on August 2.

Microsoft kicked off its E3 presser this year by showing off its newest console [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167703-Microsoft-Shows-Off-New-Xbox-One-S-at-E3-Presser], the Xbox One S. Despite being 40% smaller than its predecessor, the unit is capable of 4K Ultra HD video, will support 4K Ultra HD Bluray, and will include an upgraded version of the Xbox One controller, with textured grips on the back and Bluetooth wireless. Oh, and it features a 2TB hard drive.

At the time, Microsoft stated that the launch edition would be available in early August, and they weren't kidding - a post on Xbox.com [http://news.xbox.com/2016/07/18/xbox-one-s-august-2/] has now confirmed that the $399 console will be available in select regions starting on August 2. In addition, Microsoft promises that all pre-orders will also arrive on August 2 - and they're still accepting pre-orders, although "availability is limited and demand is high." Two other versions of the console - 1TB ($349) and 500GB ($299) - have not received release dates yet.

"With the biggest blockbuster lineup of games in Xbox history coming to Xbox One and Windows 10 this year, platform updates to help you stay connected with friends on Xbox Live with even more games across your favorite devices and more hardware options available, 2016 and beyond is looking to be an incredible time to be an Xbox gamer," the post reads.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Wow, that was quick.

I know its been the butt of many joked for the past few years, but I do think that this version of the Xbone is pretty great. Obsolete because of the Scorpio, definitely, but still better than the VCR they are selling now.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
For the love of god, please tell me it uses 3.5 inch drives and they're user replaceable? We're probably not getting that info for a while and it's likely a no, but a man can dream.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
All this storage wouldn't be necessary if you didn't have to install EVERY SINGLE GAME on it. I got the 1TB Xbox and am almost tapped for storage on it. My 360 lasted entirely on 20Gigs because I only had to worry about the actual save data.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Saelune said:
All this storage wouldn't be necessary if you didn't have to install EVERY SINGLE GAME on it. I got the 1TB Xbox and am almost tapped for storage on it. My 360 lasted entirely on 20Gigs because I only had to worry about the actual save data.
360's were hideously noisy contraptions, to varying degrees, sure, but every iteration I owned made a veritable racket. I installed all games after the option was made available.

Do you really need all games on a drive at the same time, though? Deleting and sometimes reinstalling was a hassle, sure, but there were many games I just never returned to, so never missed (the Mass Effect trilogy was a particular nuisance, as I could never really just play one entry, so had to accommodate the trilogy plus all DLC. I think L.A. Noire was the largest install across multiple discs, but two runs of that was more than enough).

I have an Elite XB1 with the 1TB hybrid, and I'll probably just get an external when it starts to get full. The new S's seem pretty decent, and frankly I prefer the white colour scheme on both console and pad. Maybe they'll release a white Elite pad to match.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Darth Rosenberg said:
Saelune said:
360's were hideously noisy contraptions, to varying degrees, sure, but every iteration I owned made a veritable racket. I installed all games after the option was made available.

Do you really need all games on a drive at the same time, though? Deleting and sometimes reinstalling was a hassle, sure, but there were many games I just never returned to, so never missed (the Mass Effect trilogy was a particular nuisance, as I could never really just play one entry, so had to accommodate the trilogy plus all DLC. I think L.A. Noire was the largest install across multiple discs, but two runs of that was more than enough).

I have an Elite XB1 with the 1TB hybrid, and I'll probably just get an external when it starts to get full. The new S's seem pretty decent, and frankly I prefer the white colour scheme on both console and pad. Maybe they'll release a white Elite pad to match.
Maybe if they installed quick enough. Xbox wants their consoles to be like PCs, well, my laptop installs bigger games faster than my Xbox One does. I liked consoles cause they were easy to use, but in their quest to be more like PCs, they have lost all the positives that consoles had.

I don't want to buy new things for my Xbox to fix it's problems. I don't want to "just get an external when it starts to get full". I want to be able to play a game on a whim when I feel like it.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Saelune said:
Maybe if they installed quick enough. Xbox wants their consoles to be like PCs, well, my laptop installs bigger games faster than my Xbox One does. I liked consoles cause they were easy to use, but in their quest to be more like PCs, they have lost all the positives that consoles had.

I don't want to buy new things for my Xbox to fix it's problems. I don't want to "just get an external when it starts to get full". I want to be able to play a game on a whim when I feel like it.
I think the slight compromises to the console experience have, greatly, been for the better - games like Elite Dangerous couldn't have existed, nor could mod support be possible on stuff like Fallout, ditto dash and feature updates.

My console still gets me into a game quickly and effortlessly (better than any PC I own or have owned, kit or stock), and it doesn't come with the ancillary baggage or nagging irritations of PC's. Despite the myths of multi-role design it still functions as an efficiently dedicated gaming machine. Plus, PC gaming still requires essential upgrades as the years roll by (particularly if someone wants to hit specific benchmarks), so I don't see any issues with requiring another drive down the line.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Darth Rosenberg said:
Saelune said:

I think the slight compromises to the console experience have, greatly, been for the better - games like Elite Dangerous couldn't have existed, nor could mod support be possible on stuff like Fallout, ditto dash and feature updates.

My console still gets me into a game quickly and effortlessly (better than any PC I own or have owned, kit or stock), and it doesn't come with the ancillary baggage or nagging irritations of PC's. Despite the myths of multi-role design it still functions as an efficiently dedicated gaming machine. Plus, PC gaming still requires essential upgrades as the years roll by (particularly if someone wants to hit specific benchmarks), so I don't see any issues with requiring another drive down the line.
Except they have been moving toward the constant upgrade style PCs have. Its why we have tons of different Xbox Ones coming out in rapid succession. And while I don't know about you, Ive noticed most of the people supporting Xbox's changes are PC people anyways who are so used to the BS they deal with on PC, they don't see the issue. (Totalbiscuit being a relatively famous example).

And I really don't care for mod support honestly.

I liked that consoles were more simple and consistent. That is no longer the case.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Saelune said:
Darth Rosenberg said:
Saelune said:

Except they have been moving toward the constant upgrade style PCs have. Its why we have tons of different Xbox Ones coming out in rapid succession. And while I don't know about you, Ive noticed most of the people supporting Xbox's changes are PC people anyways who are so used to the BS they deal with on PC, they don't see the issue. (Totalbiscuit being a relatively famous example).

I liked that consoles were more simple and consistent. That is no longer the case.
I've been an Xbox owner since autumn last year, and I find it to be an enjoyable and easy to use experience. After using Steam for over a decade, I'm used to digital downloads and have gone so far without a single physical purchase on my Xbox. The loading times from a physical Bluray simply aren't viable anymore, being much slower than that of the hard drive. Meanwhile, starting up and switching between installed games is a breeze. Also, buying and installing my games digitally works flawlessly. I can purchase a game while on my way home, and have it ready and downloaded by the time I arrive. A lot of my games have even been able to launch before the download has finished.

As for releasing new hardware, I see no problem with that. We've had "S" versions from both Sony and Microsoft for a while now, and I'd rather they improved on the consoles a few years down the line, rather than keep selling the same old cheap hardware for the same prize without fixing any potential areas that could be improved. I'm probably not getting an Xbox One S since I already own my Xbox One, but if I were to buy an Xbox next month, I'd appreciate some updated hardware.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
NLS said:
Saelune said:
Darth Rosenberg said:
Saelune said:

I've been an Xbox owner since autumn last year, and I find it to be an enjoyable and easy to use experience. After using Steam for over a decade, I'm used to digital downloads and have gone so far without a single physical purchase on my Xbox. The loading times from a physical Bluray simply aren't viable anymore, being much slower than that of the hard drive. Meanwhile, starting up and switching between installed games is a breeze. Also, buying and installing my games digitally works flawlessly. I can purchase a game while on my way home, and have it ready and downloaded by the time I arrive. A lot of my games have even been able to launch before the download has finished.

As for releasing new hardware, I see no problem with that. We've had "S" versions from both Sony and Microsoft for a while now, and I'd rather they improved on the consoles a few years down the line, rather than keep selling the same old cheap hardware for the same prize without fixing any potential areas that could be improved. I'm probably not getting an Xbox One S since I already own my Xbox One, but if I were to buy an Xbox next month, I'd appreciate some updated hardware.
I still by physical games for console. It may not be an issue for everyone, but I personally find digital games on consoles have limited me in ways. Plus I like owning physical copies. Digital isn't so bad on PC cause...I don't lose my collection. If I knew the digital copies of my games on Xbox were permenant, that whatever is after the Xbox One wont start me over, sure, Id be more embracing, but that is not likely the case. They are starting to do that on Xbox, which is certainly an advantage it has over PlayStation, but I doubt my digital 360 games will continue after the Xbox One.

Updated consoles with larger storage or slimmer design is fine, but it is starting to look like actual software changes will be coming in the future. If my Xbox One cannot play all Xbox One games, well, that's not ok.

Maybe physical games load longer, but its preferable than getting it all out at the start. A bit of extra seconds here and there isn't so bad if I don't have to spend an entire day not using my console as it installs.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Saelune said:
I more or less loathe PC's[footnote]No, dear Master Race advocates - that has nowt to do with assertions of 'better' or worse value judgements, simply a matter of lifelong preference.[/footnote] - to me they're work/office equipment, and a keyboard designed for typing has absolutely no use as a gaming device [given I don't play games which function and sometimes look like spreadsheets]. And yet I agree with TB that what MS seem to be offering the consumer is choice; as deranged as Mattrick's shortlived reveal-era was, that failure has arguably forced MS towards a more sensible route (or it's just a tactic to ensnare people with/into their OS's... ) with regards as to how they really treat their PC roots and resources (though Play Anywhere needs to be as generous/progressive as the initial response perceived).

You may not value mods (on console? or in general?) but they've consistently been cited as significant failing in terms of--- well, giving the consumer of media more choice and agency. A platform capable of supporting modding - regardless of personal opinion about them - is clearly a positive development for gaming culture in general.

(one could argue that Fallout 4 having mods isn't the same as 'mods on console', given Bethesda are in a unique market position when it comes to mod support. 'mods on console' won't quite be true unless other IP's start to feature them, and at a guess I'd say that could end up being very rare. still, given Bethesda's twin key IP's are often seen as frameworks for community support/improvement, the 'big' IP's which most benefit from community involvement being accessible to console users is still hugely welcome)

I'm currently playing Fallout 4 and it takes literally two idle jabs of a button (Power, A) to boot the console and get into the game. How is that not simple or consistent? Add in the single button press install/activation of mods, and you have the kind of experience and versatility no other console generation in history has matched.

And, as I mentioned, something like Elite Dangerous could never have existed on console before now (fundamentally iterative when it comes to features/content and visuals, and presenting a shared, dynamic economy and world). Consoles are still demonstrably simple and straightforward to use - but they're also far more capable than ever, hence why I can't see any real negatives to how things have progressed.

...I mean, I'd rather there was a single unified platform for the medium, but that's a whole 'nother subject.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Darth Rosenberg said:
Saelune said:
I more or less loathe PC's[footnote]No, dear Master Race advocates - that has nowt to do with assertions of 'better' or worse value judgements, simply a matter of lifelong preference.[/footnote] - to me they're work/office equipment, and a keyboard designed for typing has absolutely no use as a gaming device [given I don't play games which function and sometimes look like spreadsheets]. And yet I agree with TB that what MS seem to be offering the consumer is choice; as deranged as Mattrick's shortlived reveal-era was, that failure has arguably forced MS towards a more sensible route (or it's just a tactic to ensnare people with/into their OS's... ) with regards as to how they really treat their PC roots and resources (though Play Anywhere needs to be as generous/progressive as the initial response perceived).

You may not value mods (on console? or in general?) but they've consistently been cited as significant failing in terms of--- well, giving the consumer of media more choice and agency. A platform capable of supporting modding - regardless of personal opinion about them - is clearly a positive development for gaming culture in general.

(one could argue that Fallout 4 having mods isn't the same as 'mods on console', given Bethesda are in a unique market position when it comes to mod support. 'mods on console' won't quite be true unless other IP's start to feature them, and at a guess I'd say that could end up being very rare. still, given Bethesda's twin key IP's are often seen as frameworks for community support/improvement, the 'big' IP's which most benefit from community involvement being accessible to console users is still hugely welcome)

I'm currently playing Fallout 4 and it takes literally two idle jabs of a button (Power, A) to boot the console and get into the game. How is that not simple or consistent? Add in the single button press install/activation of mods, and you have the kind of experience and versatility no other console generation in history has matched.

And, as I mentioned, something like Elite Dangerous could never have existed on console before now (fundamentally iterative when it comes to features/content and visuals, and presenting a shared, dynamic economy and world). Consoles are still demonstrably simple and straightforward to use - but they're also far more capable than ever, hence why I can't see any real negatives to how things have progressed.

...I mean, I'd rather there was a single unified platform for the medium, but that's a whole 'nother subject.
I'm glad we agree about using a type writer as a game controller.

That said, the "choice" TB advocates is a splitting of players. That my Xbox is the same as everyone elses means we don't have the same technical issues that plague PC gaming. Outside of internet provider, there is no need for high and low settings. There are better, more inclusive ways to offer choice.

I don't like mods cause I don't like cheaters. Its one thing for a single player game, but modding definatly opens a lot more cheaty doors. It probably wont be an issue for consoles for awhile, but I don't doubt it wont happen (unless consoles actually do have a doomsday failing, but again, the future is unclear).

I just click play on any of my installed games on Steam, and I'm playing it. You're comparing something else to what I am talking about. I am more talking about that consoles you plug them in and play. To use my N64, I plug it in, pop a game in, push the switch and (outside of the fact its old and dusty now and requires a few smacks) plays. That is the simplicity I am speaking of.

Though I would also argue that Xbox One is far less simple in your regard too, compared to the 360. I feel bogged down in way more menues. I used to be able to while playing a game, press the center Xbox button, quickly check my achievements, then press it once to go right back to my game. That is just not true anymore. I hate the widget clip things One forces onto you. And its only gotten worse.

EDIT: Also I never played and don't know Elite Dangerous, so its not really a viable example of anything to me.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Saelune said:
I still by physical games for console. It may not be an issue for everyone, but I personally find digital games on consoles have limited me in ways. Plus I like owning physical copies. Digital isn't so bad on PC cause...I don't lose my collection. If I knew the digital copies of my games on Xbox were permenant, that whatever is after the Xbox One wont start me over, sure, Id be more embracing, but that is not likely the case. They are starting to do that on Xbox, which is certainly an advantage it has over PlayStation, but I doubt my digital 360 games will continue after the Xbox One.

Updated consoles with larger storage or slimmer design is fine, but it is starting to look like actual software changes will be coming in the future. If my Xbox One cannot play all Xbox One games, well, that's not ok.

Maybe physical games load longer, but its preferable than getting it all out at the start. A bit of extra seconds here and there isn't so bad if I don't have to spend an entire day not using my console as it installs.
With digital, I can still play other games while installing new ones. In regards to game compatibility, all Xbox One (S/Scorpio) games will work on your "old" Xbox One. Microsoft will likely keep backwards compatibility in the future for Xbox Two or whatever comes, as I doubt they would move away from x86-64. Digital copies are bound to your account, so you can always redownload them on your current or future Xbox One. In the case that they don't do backwards compatibility in the next generation, your physical copies would or would not work as much as digital. You would have to "start over" as much with either option.

The increased loading times are a potential issue though. With strict and short level-based games you could perhaps compromise with longer loading times, but what about open world games or games with larger levels? In a game with seamless loading of level data, we already experience short hiccups as the game loads in more data in the background. This would only get worse when loading directly from the disc. Worst case scenario, developers would have to design the game around this limitation, with smaller linear levels or less detailed environments.

Saelune said:
I'm glad we agree about using a type writer as a game controller.

That said, the "choice" TB advocates is a splitting of players. That my Xbox is the same as everyone elses means we don't have the same technical issues that plague PC gaming. Outside of internet provider, there is no need for high and low settings. There are better, more inclusive ways to offer choice.

I don't like mods cause I don't like cheaters. Its one thing for a single player game, but modding definatly opens a lot more cheaty doors. It probably wont be an issue for consoles for awhile, but I don't doubt it wont happen (unless consoles actually do have a doomsday failing, but again, the future is unclear).

I just click play on any of my installed games on Steam, and I'm playing it. You're comparing something else to what I am talking about. I am more talking about that consoles you plug them in and play. To use my N64, I plug it in, pop a game in, push the switch and (outside of the fact its old and dusty now and requires a few smacks) plays. That is the simplicity I am speaking of.

Though I would also argue that Xbox One is far less simple in your regard too, compared to the 360. I feel bogged down in way more menues. I used to be able to while playing a game, press the center Xbox button, quickly check my achievements, then press it once to go right back to my game. That is just not true anymore. I hate the widget clip things One forces onto you. And its only gotten worse.
Official mod support in games won't open the door to hacking. I suppose people with modded consoles back in the day could, but that's something different.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this and see it as part of the issue, but: Double tap on the Home button, which brings up the Guide, go down two times, and you'll see your achievements in progress.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Saelune said:
I don't see, in terms of a possible shift in mindset or/and culture, how closer ties between PC and console will split anyone. And going from Phil Spencer's remarks the Scorpio is an oddly niche machine intended for 4K screens, nothing more. Every game will still run on the Scorpio, the S, as well as the vanilla XB1's and Elite's.

Well, mods aren't cheating at all in an SP game, and if someone does want to spawn items or craft an OP weapon that's their creative approach to enjoying the product. More importantly with mods it's possible to experience the kinds of games many feel Bethesda should be making (or at least something much closer).

As for MP? Eh, it's human nature for scumbags people to try it on. Stopping one set of players having their game's immeasurably enriched just because other people might spoil some MP games isn't exactly a solution. MP on PC isn't exactly a dying culture.

You're comparing something else to what I am talking about. I am more talking about that consoles you plug them in and play. To use my N64, I plug it in, pop a game in, push the switch and (outside of the fact its old and dusty now and requires a few smacks) plays. That is the simplicity I am speaking of.
Ah, well isn't that akin to pining for the horse and cart - or a Model T Ford - over a contemporary vehicle? Who cares how simple they are - they're objectively worse in terms of what they offer (compare 1984's Elite [https://youtu.be/x6m4DwkYgGs] to 2016's).

I grew up with tape loading games... and so to me modern consoles are the best of both worlds; simple, fast, and ridiculously versatile in terms of what kinds of games they support.

Though I would also argue that Xbox One is far less simple in your regard too, compared to the 360. I feel bogged down in way more menues.
We're talking about a console as a games focused machine, right? Well upon booting it takes a single press of Rt then a quick A (done in a quick one-two) to get into the games/apps screen. I actually just timed it; from the boot screen - hitting the buttons as soon as the dash popped up - it takes between 2.5 to 3secs to get to your games collection... How is that being bogged down? (and obviously getting into a game you've recently been playing requires no menus)

I used to be able to while playing a game, press the center Xbox button, quickly check my achievements, then press it once to go right back to my game. That is just not true anymore. I hate the widget clip things One forces onto you. And its only gotten worse.
I certainly feel Achievements have almost been sidelined with the XB1 (which is fine by me), and having been used to the guide button's pop-up tabs throughout the 360 era I don't like how it's changed - double tapping to bring the sidebar up is a bit of a nuisance, frankly. However, double tapping also allows screenshots or clips to be taken as well as the sidebar's options browsed, whilst being able to go to Home with a single press allows for a far more versatile and agile system (every time I get a new game I create a new layout for the Elite pad, so dive back and forth between the game and the Accessories app).

I will say I don't like the horizontal, tiled dash layout at all, but then that's par for the course - I don't think any of MS's console dashes have been particularly well designed. However, judged as a gaming machine the XB1 is faster and easier for the various aforementioned reasons.

EDIT: Also I never played and don't know Elite Dangerous, so its not really a viable example of anything to me.
Well it's an incredibly relevant example for showing just how far console's have come, and what they're now capable of. It was part of the Games Preview program, and has massively iterated with subsequent seasons worth of content and free updates, all of which have transformed the game - there will be a few more years worth of seasons, too.