3 years later... what happened?

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Vault101 said:
imahobbit4062 said:
I feel the forums have changed a lot on here. Especially since late 2011. I used to frequent this site all the time, post a lot and generally spend a good deal of time here.
that was when I started posting more frequently....I cant really remember much change... maybe the topics became more asinine?

OT: I think about the site and how I'm on it so much as second nature (its always the first site I go on) I'm beggining to think this place is some kind of addiction, but to be fair I havnt found a better forum
I'm not addicted, I only visit the site 350 times a day, it use to be less before I got a smart phone, but still not addicted...... well there was this one time I had no net, and well..... let's not talk about that ok XD

Yabba

Aug 19, 2012
TopazFusion said:
Vault101 said:
can somone tell me what it is?
It just seems that lately, hostilities and vitriol here have been pretty bad.

I mean, I can't create a thread thesedays without boatloads of passive-aggressive snark, no matter what the topic.
And I can't make a post, no matter how innocuous, without getting an inbox full of angry quotes.
Actually that makes sense, I spent years lurking and not making account but around that transition period I made an account and started posting, but getting respones I did not expect from my past experiences from lurking.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Sassafrass said:
imahobbit4062 said:
I feel the forums have changed a lot on here. Especially since late 2011. I used to frequent this site all the time, post a lot and generally spend a good deal of time here.

Nowadays I can't stand a majority of this sites users and their attitude towards things.
This is also how I feel.
I pretty much come here out of habit and I spend most my time in one user group nowadays. More fun, less hassle.
I know dem feels.

I don't know what happened to the forums in the last 6 months, but I don't like it.

I can't even put my finger on it, something just changed for the worse.
If you ask me, it's that there has been more political and religious like threads that have slipped onto the Off-Topic section. So all that hostility that was once contained in the R&P board is able to flow through the other boards. Which is sad really. I for one use to only post in there[R&P], as I found there were some good debaters worth doing just that with, but recently it just sort of wore on me all the people that had no idea what they were talking about or just couldn't make a point without spewing hate towards any opposition. When there is a political type thread on this board, however, it's seemed to be mostly the spewing of hate when met with opposition, without many people actually in it for a debate. Though, the hostility may be displaced from the fact that currently the media is turned more so against us, EA and Activision have been acting more greedy than usual, and the community itself has its defining issues(DRM and such) to deal with that divides it more than ever.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Capitano Segnaposto said:
People have become whiny doomsayers. Every other thread now is "Gaming is going to die!", "Game X sucks!", "Fuck those fans of X!", or "Company X is the devil and is destroying the industry and I won't cater to me and blah blah blah *starts foaming at the mouth*".

This should HOPEFULLY subside in the coming months... maybe.
and your saying things have changed? :p

PsychicTaco115 said:
You didn't hear? It was canceled this year
whoa...seriously!?

hahah well I guess did kind of evoke the "this voting thing does not conform with my opionion..therefore I DEEM IT BULLSHIT!! ARRRGGHHH!!!"

OT: mabye the reason I'm unfazed by the aparent "hate" here is because I kind got over that back when I first came and nowdays I tend to be kind of snarkey/passive agressive myself

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
TopazFusion said:
JoJo said:
I mean this in the least offensive way posssible Topaz but there's been several times this year when you have acted rather hostile in my eyes, such as the recent banned-avatar prank or back in the thread when the Bro-Injustice war was declared over. Have you considered the possibility that your own attitude sometimes colours your interactions with other users?
If I've come across as overly hostile, I apologize.

I'm going with what Zhukov said on page 1 of this thread. It sorta has a "rub off" effect.
Put it down to the fact that I've had too many run-ins with people like The Cool Kid, fapper plain, etc.

[small]On the subject of that, I am eternally grateful that assholeish users like them always get banned relatively quickly.[/small]
Heh, it's fine, I'm no innocent flower myself, though I was surprised when you said you'd laugh if we were banned. That kinda hurt. I do feel strongly though if we are to improve as a community we all need to look at our own posts first and be proactive in bringing back the fun we had last year :)

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
As probably one of the oldest members n this thread, I can certainly say that things have changed dramatically. Shows have come and gone (Lisa Foiles, Extra Credits)and Yahtzee has kinda dropped in popularity over the years and of course, the forums have completel changed. Is it all for the better? Probably not, but change is inevitable. Maybe I'm just an old geezer.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Dude, this is so trippy. I just got my Landmark badge TODAY!

I hadn't realized I had been on these forums for so long. Kinda weird, when I think about it. Glad I stuck around, though. You guys are gentlemen and scholars, all.

Sh1nobu

Nov 23, 2009
Long time lurker here, and I have to admit that there are less and less threads that I read from top to bottom. All the sexism and rape threads just bore me to tears.

I did like the "I'm about to be dumped." thread this week tho, lots of good life advice there.

I also really miss Extra Credit threads. The new site's comments are really tough to read.

Elftrash

Nov 15, 2008
Would it be ironic for me to point out that, given the content, contributors and writing in this thread, that it is one of the more interesting, thoughtful and well articulated I have seen in some time ? :)

Did I mention polite ?

Guffe: Congrats, strange how those little things always make you look forward to your inbox.

Sh1nobu

Nov 23, 2009
Elftrash said:
Would it be ironic for me to point out that, given the content, contributors and writing in this thread, that it is one of the more interesting, thoughtful and well articulated I have seen in some time ? :)

Did I mention polite ?

Guffe: Congrats, strange how those little things always make you look forward to your inbox.
I'd probably blame all the lurkers who have come out of hiding.

:p

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Gonna agree with the remarks on the hostility of the forums. With that and the fact that I just don't really feel connected to this place anymore, I'm just not around so much anymore. I maybe get like 10 posts a month here anymore, far less than my past involvement. Some of the posters I used to like have disappeared. I've found other outlets that fit me better. I dunno. It was a good run. Thanks, Escapist. Nothing lasts forever, though.

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
imahobbit4062 said:

Nowadays I can't stand a majority of this sites users and their attitude towards things. A friend of mine felt the same and he just stopped coming to this site all together.
Not gonna lie...haven't even been here a full year and I went through the same motions. Just on a smaller scale.

...I feel, odd in the off-topic section. Like any little thing will just set everyone off. And whenever anyone tries to address a problem with a popular view, they don't just get shot down or insulted, they get DOGGED for it, and get accused of conspiracies or some kind of false-equivelent sexism/homophobia/racism/whatever of some kind, with no evidence at all.

It's getting kinda....awkward.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
TopazFusion said:
Yep, put me down as another user with a 5-digit post count who's none-too-impressed with how hostile the forums have become lately...
I hav'n't noticed o_O

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
TopazFusion said:
Evil Smurf said:
TopazFusion said:
Yep, put me down as another user with a 5-digit post count who's none-too-impressed with how hostile the forums have become lately...
I hav'n't noticed o_O
You sure? Didn't you get flamed a bit recently?

I'm sure you had to equip your flame shield a couple of times not so long ago...
Eh I suppose I did. Yeah I did get flamed. It is only the rare odd troll though.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
I still find it hard to believe that i've been on the Escapist for over 12 months, even with a post count as low as mine, sometimes i just find it better to walk away from the arguments.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Well, congratulations. Still another year or so before I get there, but I'll get there eventually if I stick around. Not sure I want that badge so much as I want the Neo one though, just 'cause its got Neo. And the Morpheus one. And the Trinity one. There needs to be a Smith one. There probably is. I need to find it and acquire it.

Got to agree with others on the topic of the forums becoming more hostile. People on the forums always disagreed with you, but it was often a nice, fair and good argument between two people, at least in my experience. I got into a 20 wall-length post argument with one guy, and we decided to call it off and join forces against a third faction for a bit of a laugh at that point. Whilst there were still a lot of crap threads, there more user reviews that got into the top section of the site from time to time, and it at least seamed that a lot of people back then behaved more like they do in this thread, and go on and talk about how in their experience things have always been this way, and asking why everyone else thinks they weren't.
These days I try not to post most of the time. If I post anything I know I'll get into an argument that I'd really rather not have, with someone who so obnoxiously claims that they're right that I can't help but argue back against them. Even then, in the arguments, more time is spent calling the other person a troll, claiming they're stupid or otherwise just saying that they're wrong, or calling strawman at the slightest misunderstanding, rather than being polite and saying "Maybe you misunderstood me". Its done in a way that it doesn't break the rules, but its not much better TBH. Hell, I've even received PMs from time to time that DO break the posting rules just in an attempt to circumvent punishment. I mean really, there were always a couple of people that were like this but these days it feels like the aggressiveness that used to feel largely contained by the Religion and Politics subforum has spilled out into the rest of the site. Probably 'cause a lot of notable posters who did things right and were often polite and kind have disappeared. Still like a lot of the stuff this site puts out, and there are some nice threads to hang around in, but it does slowly seem to be fading into more hatred instead. Just my opinion though, and experience will vary.

Jul 5, 2009
Speaking as a lurker who reads most threads posted, the main reason for the "negativity" goin' round is more to do with crappy topics(feminism and just general hatin') and debate topics, the later of which become the former from the second post onwards(I'm so optomistic!)

On topic: Kinda wish I posted once each month so I'd get the badge with 36 posts exactly, but seeing my first 2 posts again in the ol' keyboard warrior days I think I have no regrets.

Off topic: Anyone else looking forward to soul sacrifice? Just asking...

Posting's such a pain.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
ToastedCorpser4Lunch said:
Kinda wish I posted once each month so I'd get the badge with 36 posts exactly
Now this would be cool!
Then again I think they should have it under 72 posts since if you get quoted you'd have to answer that if someone throws a question at you?
But that would be some feat :D

Elftrash said:
I guess it is xD
Maybe something in this thread made it go backwards 3 years in time? :p

Leemaster777 said:
Dude, this is so trippy. I just got my Landmark badge TODAY!
Congratz!! It's a nice feeling isn't is? :D

TacticalAssassin1

Elite Member
May 29, 2009
imahobbit4062 said:

Nowadays I can't stand a majority of this sites users and their attitude towards things. A friend of mine felt the same and he just stopped coming to this site all together.
My thoughts exactly. This site used to be great. It's still fine as a news source, but the forums have turned into a wasteland of sludge.