30,000 Users Cut From Dating Site Because They Were "Ugly"

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
30,000 Users Cut From Dating Site Because They Were "Ugly"

A virus let a ton of uggos join Beautifulpeople.com, but it's OK: The site has managed to ban them and protect its pretty members from the horrible sight.

Beautifulpeople.com has a habit of pissing people off on a regular basis, but this latest occurrence is pretty epic. The site just dumped approximately 30,000 members because they were deemed too damn ugly for the online community.

If you haven't heard of the site, Beautifulpeople.com is an online dating site for "beautiful men and women" that screens its applicants. However, the site was hit last month by the Shrek Virus (named for the animated ogre), which attacked the software used to screen new members. As a result, the site suddenly had a massive number of new people join its community.

Of course, Beautifulpeople.com wasn't happy about this little development. Several thousand of these new community members didn't measure up to the Denmark-based site's stringent beauty requirements, so it's being reported 30,000 "ugly" members were dropped from the roster.

Speaking to The Guardian, Greg Hodge of Beautifulpeople.com had this to say: "We have to stick to our founding principles of only accepting beautiful people -- that's what our members have paid for." Reportedly the site has set up a counseling hotline to help people who were dumped because, "we can't just sweep 30,000 ugly people under the carpet."

Up until the hotline bit, this story is fairly believable. The site made headlines earlier this year when it dumped 5,000 users who'd gained weight during the Holiday Season. But the whole hotline bit seems a little too sensational to be true; not only that, but the site seems to be down right now, so who knows what's actually going on over in that particular corner of the Web.

Source: <a href=http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/jun/20/dating-website-beautiful-people-members>The Guardian via <a href=http://www.myfoxny.com/dpps/news/offbeat/dating-site-causes-outrage-by-dumping-ugly-people-dpgonc-20110620-fc_13763177>My Fox NY

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
bah. Last line got edited before witty "you're just jealous they didn't let you join" comments could proliferate.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Well I was banned from the Sexy Mutants dating site for not having a mutant ability. I am sorry I am not THAT SPECIAL!

HTID Raver

Jan 7, 2010
LOL is this for real? xD thats too funny!
i wonder if im beautiful enough to join the site :p

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
It's about time we ugly people accept that we are just hunchbacked quasi-humans who are simply here for the beautifuls to laugh at, and throw tomatoes at when they get bored. It's a hard job, but somebody has to do it.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Again, they were screening applicants, the process got ruined, they banned the people who got in who weren't supposed to get in.

This could happen to a guild where they get hit by a virus and applicants who weren't supposed to get in did, they could kick them out after and we wouldn't bat an eyelid, but because this is a dating site and we're geeks we're all meant to point and laugh at them?

(yes, I realise they're horrible people, but I fail to see why this is interesting in the slightest)

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Beautiful people my ass, probably filled with narcissistic airheads who sign up to caress their own egos.

Edit: What the hell is with all the pitchforks and torches? Overreacting much?

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
The Great JT said:
I vote we kill anyone registered with Beautifulpeople.com (not counting the 30,000 that signed up because of that virus). They deserve it.
Killing innocent people because they've done nothing wrong?
Maybe not.
All in all, it's just a vain site for vain people and people that aren't vain should stay well away from this disgusting place.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Quoting myself:

emeraldrafael said:
hey I heard of this site, I'm a member. I'm glad us beuatiful people have a place to go where you... Normies, should not be, defiling our sanctum to bask in the warmth and glow of what you could only hope obtain. begone from here those descended of shrek, how dare you try to steal credit and look good by even being in my presence.

Besides, ugly people have their own site. its called the people of walmart. HI-O!

Oka, but seriously (all sarcasm and joking aside), I'm not sure how to feel about this. One part of me wants to say its nice tehre's somewhere in the world where it teaches you the harsh reality that not everyone is beautiful (physically) and that I dont hav eto pretend that the girl with acne, coke bottle glasses, and bucked tooth braces is on the level of the slut that looks like a model (call me a bad person, go ahead, but its true, and I'm rather tired of it just so I can spare their feelings). BUt on the other hand, it makes me rather upset that this place exists, because beauty is subjective, and the girl with acne, coke bottle glasses, and bucked tooth braces is a much nicer person in personality then the model slut.

I suppose int he end, I'm glad this site exists, cause it makes it easier to identify who I want to be involved in horrible debilitating accidents.
EDIT:

dogstile said:
Again, they were screening applicants, the process got ruined, they banned the people who got in who weren't supposed to get in.

This could happen to a guild where they get hit by a virus and applicants who weren't supposed to get in did and we wouldn't bat an eyelid, but because this is a dating site and we're geeks we're all meant to point and laugh at them?

(yes, I realise they're horrible people, but I fail to see why this is interesting in the slightest)
Its kinda scary youre right. I remember the story of the deaf guy who wasnt allowed in the guild and he was hurt, and alot of people said that hte guild was in the right.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
The Great JT said:
I vote we kill anyone registered with Beautifulpeople.com (not counting the 30,000 that signed up because of that virus). They deserve it.
Don't kill me, bro!

Or, at least try to avoid my face. Obvious reasons, and all. :p

Prince Regent

Dec 9, 2007
This is the 3rd Escapist news story today that already existed in the Escapist forums. (The others being the "Go books Obama" and the "Halo/Kinect" storys.) The news gathering community is gaining on the official Escapist authors. ^^

OT: You have to give whomever did this credit for the name though: The Shrek Virus

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
I feel sad I can't get on to the site; my beautiful face deserves to be on there!

Joking aside - I see no problem with the website, there's sites out there for "ugly" people so why not "beautiful" people?
If people do get that upset and stuff over being rejected, then they honestly need a reality check, sorry. We can't except everyone for everything because it's a nice thing to do.
There are other dating websites out there that accept literally anyone.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
One of funnier hacks lately really. The ego of many "BeautifulPeople" surely got hurt by the fact their profiles were so close to those filthy apparition-challenged second-class inferior beings...
Messing with one's vanity is always approved.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
The Great JT said:
Just because we're prettier than you?

OT: The hotline bit sounds like a joke, I don't think it negates the rest of it.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I assume you have to submit a full length photo every 3 months so they confirm you didn't get smallpox or something?

Anyway this is hilarious, and I'm sure it is a publicity stunt.

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
Didn't know dating sites were run by trolls. Sounds hilarious.

I think I will actually visit this site, but not sign up for fear of insta-ban. ^^