Like a MOBA version of MUGEN.

"WHICH FANDOM WILL REIGN SUPREME?"
"FIND OUT TODAY!"

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Strazdas said:
Yep. Make a mod with copyright material and it gets banned="omg evil companies"
Make a mod and rut in under a different name=lawsuits are coming in.
Do you remember when we could play digimons in Starcraft? i do. and there was nothing wrong about that. not in todays world though.
You do bring up a good point about mods, only for it to be shot down by the fact that this is a game designed to make money.

Fair Use clauses only go so far.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Man, if this wasn't in China, it could be the most sued thing in all of existence.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
That's hilarious. They're outright just using characters from other properties. It's so incredibly blatant I'd be inclined to believe they did it as a sort of character aggregation game. Play as all your favourite characters from any property. In fact, let's get a few skins together and just end up with LoL featuring every character from every game.

Ah, China. At least Japan's insane content originates there.

EDIT: Although there are a lot of things that get C&D, sued or taken down elsewhere that don't deserve it. Maybe we need more of this.

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
Lethos said:
Pyrian said:
Oh, Therumancer, always looking for an excuse to start the next apocalypse.
I've always wondered how many people read those huge essays about starting WW3 that he always posts in any thread to do with China.
I used to. I stopped when he started writing essays about glassing the entire Arab Peninsular and Iran because "If we are at war with the Terrorists, which are all Muslims, it should be a total war against Muslims, therefore..."

Which annoyed me. Because along with genocide (Which he argued was not genocide) and the sheer insanity of it, aside from the basic reasons... I grew up out there, my mum lives out there, a lot of my friends live out there, Yeah.

EDIT: I sometimes wonder how Theru has dodged the ban hammer so expertly. But, *sigh*, he never insults particular members and he mostly avoids using racism.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Ed130 said:
Strazdas said:
Yep. Make a mod with copyright material and it gets banned="omg evil companies"
Make a mod and rut in under a different name=lawsuits are coming in.
Do you remember when we could play digimons in Starcraft? i do. and there was nothing wrong about that. not in todays world though.
You do bring up a good point about mods, only for it to be shot down by the fact that this is a game designed to make money.

Fair Use clauses only go so far.
Thats a fair point, they shouldnt be profiteering of it.

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
gigastar said:
At this point I'm sure they're just doing it to see how many lawsuits they can provoke at once.
The answer is none, since China does not follow international copyright law, as long as the game is not released to foreign markets they will face no legal repercussions.

China has developed a rather large internal market based around copying existing IP and selling it to the Chinese market. This has actually caused a lot of economic stagnation for China, since they are copying existing ideas rather than developing new ones. Japan was in a similar situation in the 50s and 60s, largely being used for cheap labour by the west, but because they innovated and created new and better products, the Japanese economy was able to take off.

Anyway, basically China is kind of screwing themselves long term by continuing this practice. Sure they may make a decent profit in the now, but taking other peoples ideas and rebranding them isn't a winning long term strategy.

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
Mr F. said:
Lethos said:
Pyrian said:
Oh, Therumancer, always looking for an excuse to start the next apocalypse.
I've always wondered how many people read those huge essays about starting WW3 that he always posts in any thread to do with China.
I used to. I stopped when he started writing essays about glassing the entire Arab Peninsular and Iran because "If we are at war with the Terrorists, which are all Muslims, it should be a total war against Muslims, therefore..."

Which annoyed me. Because along with genocide (Which he argued was not genocide) and the sheer insanity of it, aside from the basic reasons... I grew up out there, my mum lives out there, a lot of my friends live out there, Yeah.

EDIT: I sometimes wonder how Theru has dodged the ban hammer so expertly. But, *sigh*, he never insults particular members and he mostly avoids using racism.
There is also the fact that nobody actually reads his posts anymore, since they tend to be long-winded and poorly explained. He can get away with it because most of us just ignore him now and skip on to the next post when reading something. I'll read his posts for a laugh but that's about it.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
AC10 said:
lol I kind of want to play this. It's awesome in a weird way.
I'm with you on that. I mean how many games allow me to beat up these highly loved Shonen anime characters with Shrek. XD

OT: Ah nothing like Chinese bootlegs giving the middle finger to Copyright Lawyers. Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to deal with a company falsely flagging videos under the notion that the part they flagged has copyrighted music, when in fact the part of the video they have flagged has no game audio or commentary.

Insane Guy of DOOM

Aug 7, 2008
There are some other videos floating around which some sort of cross between a piranha plant and Toad, Sylvannas Windrunner from World of Warcraft, the dwarf from Dragon's Crown are also among the heroes, while the the Magika wizards are lane creeps, with the red one having the same coloration as the player character from Journey.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
Micah Weil said:
Hell, if they throw in Bob Ross, I'm sold!
"We're gonna paint a happy little tree right here, and that happy little tree is going to go out to mid and pwn Starscream's face."
...and for a second there, I was desperately searching for a "like" or "upvote" button...