3000 member EVE fight - What insanity looks like

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008

http://themittani.com/news/breaking-massive-super-fight-asakai-lowsec
(EDIT: That news site by the way is run by the CFC who got smashed here and it's their leader whose writing the post (the same guy who pulled off the spy scam, killing one of the biggest alliances in EVE with a backstab. That one EVE story that everyone knows)
So this is a more fair source: Scroll down to 'Number of super-caps killed this week'
http://jestertrek.blogspot.de/2013/01/kill-of-week-overly-aggressive.html )

Basically one of the big EVE coalitions (CFC) Fleet Commanders (DaBigRedBoat) made a massive mistake with a fleet of some of the most expensive ships in EVE and the entire world decided to dogpile on them. I don't play EVE but they sure make pretty pictures =D

Alliances involved: 262
Corporations involved: 715
Players involved: 3161

It looks like at the end of the battle, the CFC has lost ~44 Dreads, 29 Carriers, 5 Supercarriers and 3 Titans to 10 Carriers, 6 Dreads, and one Supercarrier killed:
EDIT: The amount of ISK lost is estimated at over 830 billion, which according to FelixG is worth about $29,000 USD at the moment =D (You can buy subscription time with a real ingame object, PLEX, that's stealable and tradeable meaning that EVE has an actual ISK to real money conversion)

EDITEDIT
Check out the video Cry Wolf posted on the second page

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I want to see a city raid of this size in World of Warcraft.

Although it is unrelated, I am reminded of the Falador Massacre here....

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
This is what I have in mind when I imagine the most big-ass space battle of all time.

EVE Online is a game for insane grinders and virtual tycoons, and I won't even put a toe into that game. But man, just watching these players...

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
How bad is Eve's lag nowadays with CCPs servers and time modulation? Some of those fleet battles from years ago were a laggy mess, been already logged into a laggy system wasn't that bad as atleast I could do stuff even though it was slow as sin. But jumping or logging on in the system was as much a battle against patience than anything.

EDIT ouch thats some ISK lost in those cap ships. 3 titans in one fight 0.0

However that's what makes PVP in Eve so interesting you lose a ship and it's gone for good. Each of those titans will be several thousand pounds worth of money and a lot of man hours down the the drain.

The game might play alittle slow at times but it's the only spreadsheet to have me shaking and sweating with adrenaline.

Whoever takes EVE's depth and high stakes gameplay and puts them into a more action based game will take the world by storm.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
I think Vaas should see this.
Terminate421 said:
Although it is unrelated, I am reminded of the Falador Massacre here....
I'm trying to forget about that... oh, the horror...

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
That didn't crash the server completely?

I'm impressed! I haven't heard of any MMO server that can handle those kind of numbers + spell effects and survive. Moreover how do people's computers handle that many ships and graphical effects at the same time? WoW always lagged out every time there were more then 3 40-man raids (120 people) in the same spot. Starcraft 2 servers start to lag out at around 700 units.

It must have been laggy as hell though.

Awesomeness.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
http://themittani.com/news/asakai-aftermath-all-over-cobalt-moon

Apparently total lost ISK was over 830 billion. I think that works out as tens of thousands of dollars in one fight =D

TrevHead said:
How bad is Eve's lag nowadays with CCPs servers and time modulation? Some of those fleet battles from years ago were a laggy mess, been already logged into a laggy system wasn't that bad as atleast I could do stuff even though it was slow as sin. But jumping or logging on in the system was as much a battle against patience than anything.
I've heard good things about it, but it didn't hold up here =D The fight was in Low sec so it had the cruddiest servers of them all, it was unplanned so CCP hadn't done anything to strengthen the servers and so they maxed out time dilation and it was still so laggy that it crashed some Dust servers. This was a fight large enough to crash servers for a completely different game ^^

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Ldude893 said:
This is what I have in mind when I imagine the most big-ass space battle of all time.

EVE Online is a game for insane grinders and virtual tycoons, and I won't even put a toe into that game. But man, just watching these players...
Dude Ive tried to get into it twice but while its so damned intriguing! I just cant let myself get into it really.

Cry Wolf

Oct 13, 2010
Oh hey, I use to base out of that system. Cool, too bad that fight would have been horribly boring to participate in unless you were one of the FCs.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Wow, that's impressive. I like how it's completely accidental as well, imagine being the guy that made the mistake. I reckon he won't be logging back on in a hurry.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Aww man, when I clicked the link, I thought you meant "EYE Divine Cybermancy". Ah, well, this is interesting too, I guess.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
rbstewart7263 said:
Ldude893 said:

Dude Ive tried to get into it twice but while its so damned intriguing! I just cant let myself get into it really.
Same here, I think it is the barrier to entry issue. You have to spend at least a month getting yourself set up to run anything of value in the game and you are bored to tears the entire time (or at least I was). That being said, I have watched my buddy play this game for years now and I would love to get to the point where he is, as it looks like loads of fun.

Brainwreck

Dec 2, 2012
'Did I ever tell you... what the definition of insanity is?
Insanity is... 3000 EVE online players... doing the exact same fucking thing... at once.'

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
This is such a trolololol move. I like it. Althougt I dont know much about the game except its PvP paradise.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
FelixG said:
barbzilla said:
rbstewart7263 said:
Ldude893 said:

Same here, I think it is the barrier to entry issue. You have to spend at least a month getting yourself set up to run anything of value in the game and you are bored to tears the entire time (or at least I was). That being said, I have watched my buddy play this game for years now and I would love to get to the point where he is, as it looks like loads of fun.
Actually in the CFC and HBC I know of atleast newbies can spend about a week training into a ship known as a Rifter and are very valuable in PVP for fleets like this.

They are known as "Rifterbros" and people will shower them with millions of isk (In game money) just for being new. When I joined my corporation I said "OMG A TITAN!" in my first big combat, and I made half a billion dollars because people thought I was so cute.
Well, I must get invited into one of these corporations next time I try Eve

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
And it only took the game being out for 5 + years for a battle like that to take place.

But in all seriousness the main problem with that game is that the pvp is too hardcore which it makes it so people are more apt to gank lowbies or run if they sense even the slightest chance of loss which is why ill never play it.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
rbstewart7263 said:
Ldude893 said:

Unlike most other games there are ways around the grind if you use you're brain, be creative or build up a good network of contacts.

And the lack of imagination is often the thing that puts many newcommers off, as most gamers who have played other themepark MMOs they go into Eve with pre formed notions that Eve plays much the same way.

Most MMO gamers will start a trial and play the same way as WoW. Ie do nothing but grind away a few boring missions or mine, fly into low sec alone expecting some easy pvp and get gang banged on the 1st gate leaving safe high sec. Now they have lost their ship they are back to square one, see the grinding as wasted time and rage quit.

Luckly Eve was my first MMO (and the only since I don't want to play another) so I was more flexible in learning how to enjoy the game.

Eve can be divided up into 2 major activities, Making isk and loosing isk in PVP both have more than one way of going about it, and the games sandbox nature means half the time you create your own fun. If you are going into the game expecting to grind for isk then thats alot of time spent grinding. Joining a good corp with fun ppl is a must, plus having 2 or more accounts to run alts at the same time will help greatly, it also allows you to diversify the things you can do as you can train different characters up to do different things, plus train a pvp character up to battleships to get you into a 0.0 owning corp, where all the interesting things happen and you can make isk very quickly.

For example PVP due to logistics can take a while to get going, having an alt run missions at the same time will keep you busy and make isk in the bargin, same goes for mining where normally you need someone to haul in a cargo transport, missions can be run much quicker so you make money quicker, flying an expensive ship? get an alt in a fast frigate or cloaker and scout out the systems ahead. Most easy kills are lone players jumping into a new system blind.

OFC you should be able to do all of this with other ppl in a good corp, but this allows you to be flexible which helps greatly. The best thing about running 2 accounts at the same time is that it gives you more to do and stops you from getting bored. Next time you play give it a try you should enjoy the game better. (2 monitors or 1 big monitor with 2 instances of Eve in windows is how to play)

Cry Wolf

Oct 13, 2010
TrevHead said:
EDIT ouch thats some ISK lost in those cap ships. 3 titans in one fight 0.0
I seem to remember a year ago (or perhaps two >.>) seing ~12 Titans lost in a single fight. The main power houses are extraordinarily rich these days.

Darks63 said:
And it only took the game being out for 5 + years for a battle like that to take place.
No, no it didn't. /facepalm

Darks63 said:
But in all seriousness the main problem with that game is that the pvp is too hardcore which it makes it so people are more apt to gank lowbies or run if they sense even the slightest chance of loss which is why ill never play it
/doublefacepalm

barbzilla said:
FelixG said:
barbzilla said:
rbstewart7263 said:
Ldude893 said:

Actually in the CFC and HBC I know of atleast newbies can spend about a week training into a ship known as a Rifter and are very valuable in PVP for fleets like this.

They are known as "Rifterbros" and people will shower them with millions of isk (In game money) just for being new. When I joined my corporation I said "OMG A TITAN!" in my first big combat, and I made half a billion dollars because people thought I was so cute.
Well, I must get invited into one of these corporations next time I try Eve
Heh, what he is talking about is being cheap cannon fodder =D

Ldude893 said:

Virtual Tycoons? Certainly. Grinders... not so much. The game is entirely about the interaction with other players, and it's hard to grind other players. =P