3000 member EVE fight - What insanity looks like

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
That reminds me of Planetside somehow, looking over a ridge and seeing bad guys as far as the game world was rendered, then legging it...

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
^ This person gets it, been in a good corp and been creative in mindset to create your own fun is Eve. Sadly most ppl are tainted by other MMOs to understand this off the bat.

Like I said in my last post if you go into Eve expecting to grind that's what the game will be and nothing more.

Plus while PVP is deep you don't need to be a master to enjoy it. There are many, many different ways to go about it plus many different roles in a well balanced fleet. Very different from the usual tanks and DPS of other MMOs too. Plus the fact you will lose you shit for good if you die takes play to a totally different level.

deviltry

Nov 18, 2009
There's still a problem, if you want to be a part of such massive battles, you have to work in EVE. And don't get paid.
Like people here posting how much real money it has costed...

Also, "ABSOLUTE SOUL CRUSHING LAG". :D

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
Man, EVE is totally nuts. I wish I had the time to invest in getting into it. The stuff going on in that game is always fun to read about.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
skywolfblue said:
That didn't crash the server completely?

I'm impressed! I haven't heard of any MMO server that can handle those kind of numbers + spell effects and survive. Moreover how do people's computers handle that many ships and graphical effects at the same time? WoW always lagged out every time there were more then 3 40-man raids (120 people) in the same spot. Starcraft 2 servers start to lag out at around 700 units.

It must have been laggy as hell though.

Awesomeness.
Probably not all that laggy, considering the amount of players.

EVE's servers have something called time dilation. If there are too many players in one system the server will put that entire system into slow-motion, meaning the server will have the time it needs to process all the different actions players take.

In this case it reached 10% time dilation meaning everything slowed down to a tenth of normal speed, the slowest it can possibly go. With this many players there will still be lag but the combination of slow-motion and EVE's servers probably being the most optimized in the genre it would be as minor as it can possibly get with 3000 players.

As for people's own PCs lagging out. There's an option to stop rendering almost everything and only render the red/blue/white squares you see in the second screenshot. No effects, no ships, no nothing. That way even the crappiest computers can handle large scale fleet battles reasonably well.

The screenshots that do display all the ships are probably made by people flying relatively cheap ship that briefly turn all the graphics back on, make an amazing screenshots and then turn it back off. And perhaps a single guy using a PC with 4 water-cooled GPUs.

Yellowfish

Nov 8, 2012
Well, wow. Things like that make me want to give EVE another chance. Then I usually honestly try to give it another chance and after a week or two decide that I'd rather be a filthy casual gamer and have fun rather than endure this MS Excel reskin any longer. Well, to the game's website it is, then!

fix-the-spade said:
That reminds me of Planetside somehow, looking over a ridge and seeing bad guys as far as the game world was rendered, then legging it...
Too bad that's not possible in the second game - if there's more than forty or fifty people nearby the game chickens out and stops rendering infantry more than 10 meters away. This is kinda ironic, as it makes large-scale battles impossible and robs the game of its' main selling point.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
FelixG said:
BrotherRool said:
http://themittani.com/news/asakai-aftermath-all-over-cobalt-moon

Apparently total lost ISK was over 830 billion. I think that works out as tens of thousands of dollars in one fight =D

TrevHead said:
How bad is Eve's lag nowadays with CCPs servers and time modulation? Some of those fleet battles from years ago were a laggy mess, been already logged into a laggy system wasn't that bad as atleast I could do stuff even though it was slow as sin. But jumping or logging on in the system was as much a battle against patience than anything.
I've heard good things about it, but it didn't hold up here =D The fight was in Low sec so it had the cruddiest servers of them all, it was unplanned so CCP hadn't done anything to strengthen the servers and so they maxed out time dilation and it was still so laggy that it crashed some Dust servers. This was a fight large enough to crash servers for a completely different game ^^
At the current exchange rates they lost $29,033.40 USD in assets ^.^
snip
Is that real money?

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
deviltry said:
There's still a problem, if you want to be a part of such massive battles, you have to work in EVE. And don't get paid.
Like people here posting how much real money it has costed...
While you can swap 30 day subscription cards for isk or vice-versa it isnt how most ppl make isk (atleast it was when I played). How you make isk separates the grinders from those who use their brains or go about it in creative ways.

Me I went about it various ways, abit of trading of commodities, mission running or most of the time mining or ratting in one of best 0.0 systems in the game (at the top of the map)where I have to be alert to avoid getting gang banged. High sec mining isnt that bad too, get a gang together on vent have a laugh and multitask doing other things, like running an alt or web browsing or watching TV.

Just sitting in safe high sec for hours playing the game running lv4 missions or mining alone without doing anything else is grinding. We are both doing the same activities but i'm far from grinding I'm having fun.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
spartan231490 said:
FelixG said:
BrotherRool said:
http://themittani.com/news/asakai-aftermath-all-over-cobalt-moon

Apparently total lost ISK was over 830 billion. I think that works out as tens of thousands of dollars in one fight =D

TrevHead said:
How bad is Eve's lag nowadays with CCPs servers and time modulation? Some of those fleet battles from years ago were a laggy mess, been already logged into a laggy system wasn't that bad as atleast I could do stuff even though it was slow as sin. But jumping or logging on in the system was as much a battle against patience than anything.
I've heard good things about it, but it didn't hold up here =D The fight was in Low sec so it had the cruddiest servers of them all, it was unplanned so CCP hadn't done anything to strengthen the servers and so they maxed out time dilation and it was still so laggy that it crashed some Dust servers. This was a fight large enough to crash servers for a completely different game ^^
At the current exchange rates they lost $29,033.40 USD in assets ^.^
snip
Is that real money?
Nope.

It's calculated using PLEX. PLEX is an in-game item you can buy with real money (20 bucks) which can be traded on the player-market or converted into a month of subscription time or character services (like reshaping your character's facial features).

Using the average PLEX price in the game you can calculate how much real money would have to be spend on PLEX to instantly recover all the losses made. In this case that'd be nearly 30k.

99% of that money won't be earned using PLEX though, it'll be gained through normal gameplay. But 1%, from players with good jobs who prefer spending say 10 minutes working in real life over 10 hours of work in EVE, will recoup their losses using PLEX.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Cry Wolf said:
TrevHead said:
EDIT ouch thats some ISK lost in those cap ships. 3 titans in one fight 0.0
I seem to remember a year ago (or perhaps two >.>) seing ~12 Titans lost in a single fight. The main power houses are extraordinarily rich these days.

Darks63 said:
And it only took the game being out for 5 + years for a battle like that to take place.
No, no it didn't. /facepalm

Darks63 said:
But in all seriousness the main problem with that game is that the pvp is too hardcore which it makes it so people are more apt to gank lowbies or run if they sense even the slightest chance of loss which is why ill never play it
/doublefacepalm

barbzilla said:
FelixG said:
barbzilla said:
rbstewart7263 said:
Ldude893 said:
This is what I have in mind when I imagine the most big-ass space battle of all time.

EVE Online is a game for insane grinders and virtual tycoons, and I won't even put a toe into that game. But man, just watching these players...
Dude Ive tried to get into it twice but while its so damned intriguing! I just cant let myself get into it really.
Same here, I think it is the barrier to entry issue. You have to spend at least a month getting yourself set up to run anything of value in the game and you are bored to tears the entire time (or at least I was). That being said, I have watched my buddy play this game for years now and I would love to get to the point where he is, as it looks like loads of fun.
Actually in the CFC and HBC I know of atleast newbies can spend about a week training into a ship known as a Rifter and are very valuable in PVP for fleets like this.

They are known as "Rifterbros" and people will shower them with millions of isk (In game money) just for being new. When I joined my corporation I said "OMG A TITAN!" in my first big combat, and I made half a billion dollars because people thought I was so cute.
Well, I must get invited into one of these corporations next time I try Eve
Heh, what he is talking about is being cheap cannon fodder =D

Ldude893 said:
This is what I have in mind when I imagine the most big-ass space battle of all time.

EVE Online is a game for insane grinders and virtual tycoons, and I won't even put a toe into that game. But man, just watching these players...
Virtual Tycoons? Certainly. Grinders... not so much. The game is entirely about the interaction with other players, and it's hard to grind other players. =P
so rather than say why im wrong about those things you instead decide to be a jerk about it, reason 3 why i didnt get into it the playerbase sucks.

TecnoMonkey

Jul 2, 2012
You know I was playing Dust 514 and the battles I played were unusually laggy. Since Dust and Eve use the same servers I think this huge fight is the reason the game was so choppy. I had an fucking space war going over my head and I didn't even realize it.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
TheSapphireKnight said:
Man, EVE is totally nuts. I wish I had the time to invest in getting into it. The stuff going on in that game is always fun to read about.
This. Exactly this.

I've never played EVE - I don't have the time to commit to the MMOs I do play, let alone adding another to the list - but I find it fascinating to read about. One of these days I will take the plunge... well, maybe.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Cry Wolf said:
Ldude893 said:

Virtual Tycoons? Certainly. Grinders... not so much. The game is entirely about the interaction with other players, and it's hard to grind other players. =P
*active/tired imagination gets best of me, start thinking about spaceships grinding*

A Bit More OT: This event is the perfect example why I will never play EVE Online but always want to learn about it. In no other game could a three thousand PVP match occur and in no other game would I feel inadequate about every action I take.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Terminate421 said:
I want to see a city raid of this size in World of Warcraft.
Couldn't happen due to the way servers are setup. The city servers would crash well before you made it to 3000 active combatants. I imagine any more than 300-400 people in combat would crash the servers. One of my well-known guild members (Towelliee) ran a city raid of level 1s and crashed the servers with a little under 1000 people. He was suspended for it too, although it was reversed when he inquired about it.

Cry Wolf

Oct 13, 2010
V8 Ninja said:
*active/tired imagination gets best of me, start thinking about spaceships grinding*
I'm damn sure I've seen a .gif of Eve ships grinding somehwere before, actually. /shudder. Pretty sure it was the punchline of a joke about 'bumping' tactics.

JimmyC99

Jul 7, 2010
skywolfblue said:
That didn't crash the server completely?
from what ive read no. some people dis-co'd, and they crashed the DUST 514 server node (which is on TQ now btw)
but its better then the old days yes TiDi and better infrastructer

someone somewhere, eve-kill i think, Eve-Online; the only game with pvp so epic they crash a different game.

Fell

Apr 10, 2012
http://youtu.be/TLqb-m1ZZUA?t=6m

seriously, you could make a movie out of this

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
barbzilla said:
rbstewart7263 said:
Ldude893 said:

Dude Ive tried to get into it twice but while its so damned intriguing! I just cant let myself get into it really.
Same here, I think it is the barrier to entry issue. You have to spend at least a month getting yourself set up to run anything of value in the game and you are bored to tears the entire time (or at least I was). That being said, I have watched my buddy play this game for years now and I would love to get to the point where he is, as it looks like loads of fun.
Then you always have the option of just logging in only to train your character (since you don't have to grind to lv up), plus you can make use of the trial account to do this too, that or buy a character (if they still sell them on the Eve forums)

Comocat

May 24, 2012
The game is as boring as fuck to play, but damn if I don't love reading about it. EVE is the only game that I really bat an eye when somebody posts a story about it. A new boss in rift or QQ botters in GW2, but 3000 people blowing each other up with huge sums of money in play, tons of fun to hear about.