Blur Delayed Until 2010

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Blur Delayed Until 2010

Blur [http://www.activision.com] has been pushed back into 2010 in order to give the studio more time to work on the game's multiplayer features.

Blur will be the first racing game from Bizarre Creations, best known as the studio behind the Project Gotham Racing series, since it parted company with Microsoft and moved to the Activision banner in 2007. The game will feature a wide range of licensed cars from the Ford Transit Van to the Audi R8 but will combine them with purely arcade components like vehicle combat and powerups.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to wait a little longer than expected before you'll get to see it in action. While it was only a month ago Activision announced that Blur would come out on November 3, the game has now been pushed back to sometime in 2010 "to give the development team more time to enhance the game's innovative and distinctive online multiplayer gameplay."

"We are committed to making Blur a great new racing franchise, and we are very encouraged by the game's design," said Activision Publishing President and CEO Mike Griffith. "The additional time will allow the studio to fully optimize the vision they set out to create for Blur including a distinctive and groundbreaking multiplayer mode that will appeal to a broad audience."

So there goes another one. Activision didn't specify exactly, or even approximately, when in 2010 Blur would be released but given how crowded next year has become, the company is probably looking for a nice open spot on the calendar where it won't be jockeying for space with at least two other hot new games. 2010 is looking like it's going to be a hell of a year for new games. As for 2009, let's just say I hope you've kept your magazine subscriptions up to date.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Seems to me that Modern Warfare 2 has taken another victim. Everything's spilling over into 2010 because of it.

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
To be honest I thought Blur was the sequel of Haze when I saw the title >.<

Modern Warfare 2 is a behemoth alright.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
dang, there goes another one

modern warfare is so big, its own company is dodging it

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
I'm gonna laugh if MW2 turns out to be just a very poor cash in attempt on CoD4 and everybody changes their release dates back to late november/december.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
I can't figure out whther or not it's appropriate to dance in the streets here-- on one hand, Activision's money is down the tubes; but on the other hand, that frees up more potential victims for MW2...

I'm still rather bitter about the whole 'Brutal Legend' thing.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Crud. I was rather looking forward to this since I read about it in Edge a few months ago. Oh well. Extra dev time can't hurt.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
well at least they're taking time to fix the games and make them better instead of turning out the crap they normally do

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Russian_Assassin said:
To be honest I thought Blur was the sequel of Haze when I saw the title >.<

Modern Warfare 2 is a behemoth alright.
Two things:
1: Your right, MW2 is pushing lots of stuff back because it would chew the other competing games up and spit out code fragments.
2: If Haze gets a sequel I'm going to lose the last ounce of faith in humanity I have. Fortunately, the developers went out of business, so I don't think that will happen.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
I seem to be one of the few people whose actually heard about this game. Also, that sucks because I was actually looking forward to it. -_-

Charley

Apr 12, 2008
Asehujiko said:
I'm gonna laugh if MW2 turns out to be just a very poor cash in attempt on CoD4
Warm up your chuckles.

Doesn't mean it won't experience colossal sales though, look at Halo n+1 or any EA game.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Well, I fail to see the ultimate significance of it in the broad scheme of things; it's just another racing game, a genre which has already been oversaturated with numerous Need For Speed and Burnout titles. Sure it looks pretty enough, and the Mario-Kart-esque type weapons are a nice enough hook, but I don't see the point in drooling over it.

I doubt the christmas rush would have had much impact on Blur's sales in the long run, and it gives them more time to fine tune the controls and everything. Still, it had better shine like a beacon if it wants to find a place among the millions of Need For Speed fans. Besides, I think I'll stick to Burnout and Wipeout.