Buddhist Religious Leader Says Games Satiate Aggression

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Buddhist Religious Leader Says Games Satiate Aggression

The Karmapa Lama - the only high-ranking Buddhist leader recognized by Tibet, China, and India alike - thinks videogames should be used to help satiate natural human aggressive instincts.

Trinley Dorje may be considered the latest reincarnation of the the Times of India [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karmapa_Lama], His Holiness discussed the current political landscape in the roof of the world as well as more mundane things such as music and his fondness for playing videogames.

When asked if he thought it was inappropriate for a Buddhist monk - a man dedicated to peace and serenity - to play violent war games, Dorje said he did not, and in fact supported videogames as a way to healthily release and satiate feelings of aggression "in the illusion of the game":

[blockquote]Well, I view video games as something of an emotional therapy, a mundane level of emotional therapy for me. We all have emotions whether we're Buddhist practitioners or not, all of us have emotions, happy emotions, sad emotions, displeased emotions and we need to figure out a way to deal with them when they arise.

So, for me sometimes it can be a relief, a kind of decompression to just play some video games. If I'm having some negative thoughts or negative feelings, video games are one way in which I can release that energy in the context of the illusion of the game. I feel better afterwards.

The aggression that comes out in the video game satiates whatever desire I might have to express that feeling. For me, that's very skilful because when I do that I don't have to go and hit anyone over the head.[/blockquote]

When asked if his meditation should be taking care of these feelings instead, Dorje replied that games are merely a "skillful method."

So in the future, should any of us be faced with the type of angry talking head ranting about how games cause violence (As seen on TV), we should point them in the direction of His Holiness Trinley Dorje. Because come on - if a senior Buddhist Lama isn't an expert on peace and tranquility, who is?

(Via Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/buddhist-monk-recommends-games-for-treating-aggression-149304.phtml])

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Yay, Buddhism is now on our side!
I could hug that man. but He'd probably kill me (In an online game) If I did so.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
That is definitely a positive outlook at video games. Glad to see a major figure viewing video games in a positive light for a change

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
I've always felt this way about gaming that its safe way to release aggressive tendencies. Just like modern sport is a non violent way releasing competitive energy.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
+Points for buddhism :D

I agree actually, if I feel like I can kick someone's ass online then I don't feel the need to do it in real life :p

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
I have always been a fan of Buddhist philosophy. A kind of "shit is going to happen anyway, so the question is, what are you going to do to remain balanced?" kind of attitude.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
That's it, one more thing from Buddhism and I'm switching to their side.

Now I just need to know that Dalai Lama plays Batman: Arkham Asylum and I'm starting my meditations the next minute.

KazNecro

Jun 1, 2009
Of all the religions that have been thrown in my face over the years, I'd have to say Buddhism would be the way I'd go. And I think it was quite ballsy for His Holiness to give his opinion of video games in such a positive light. I'm starting to put my faith back in humanity, for once.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Every God-fearin' man knows that Buddhists are violent heathens and are not to be trusted..
The lines of reasoning will adapt to suit this latest development, mark my words.
Still, lovely man =].

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
D'oh, pWNED by a monk...

Now, there's a thought; Shaolin Clans on the Internet... hmm...

-- Steve

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
NoMoreSanity said:
I like this man. That's one of the best views on games I've seen yet, and I am totally becoming a Buddhist now if I'm ever forced into picking a religion.
Agreed on all counts.

It's good to see that someone recognizes the obvious health advantages that come from murdering dudes in a game.
Now, now, Batman doesn't murder people. Unless you count throwing them over tall bridges, exploding stuff under their feet or breaking arms and causing them to hemmorage to death.

But other than that, no, sir.