Martyrdom Perk Changed for Modern Warfare 2

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Martyrdom Perk Changed for Modern Warfare 2

Modern Warfare 2 [http://www.infinityward.com/].

If you've played Modern Warfare online then you've probably been caught by a live grenade tumbling out of a freshly-killed opponent at least once. That's the Martyrdom perk at work, a sort of last-chance flip of the bird from players as they shuffle off their virtual mortal coil. Naturally, not everyone is a fan, particularly those who suffer unavoidable death as a reward for coming out on top of a close-in fight.

But things will be different in Modern Warfare 2, according to Lead Character Artist Joel Emslie, who told VideoGamer.com [http://www.videogamer.com/news/martyrdom_perk_treated_differently_in_mw2.html] that Infinity Ward has heard the complaints. "We are very, very aware of the community and what they like and don't like, and Martyrdom has caught our attention," he said. "I'm happy with how the game is."

While he couldn't reveal any details, he did throw a bit of a bone to fans by confirming that the perk has in fact been changed. "It's treated differently. And I will say this - it fits in perfectly," he said.

He also dismissed claims that the addition of the Riot Shield, which takes up a primary weapon slot but makes the player "almost invulnerable" when used, will throw multiplayer games out of balance. "There's always a counter-measure to everything in the game," he said. "Every element that's been added and is brand new to multiplayer has been painstakingly tested by us, our own worst critics. We've had shouting matches about changes, very passionate heated debates about what works and what doesn't work."

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is scheduled for release on November 10 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Well, I wasn't too bothered by martyrdom, I just want the new game to come out :)
hehehe, I want to spill blood in the name of ME!

Curtmiester

Jan 13, 2009
Another good reason to buy this game. Screw you life and your costly items!
And now I don't have to hear all those MW fans complaning all the damn time about it.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
I honestly though the Martydom perk wasen't so bad. Mainly because I sniped from a distace over running around with a close quarters weapon.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
[HEADING=1]YES! OH GOD YES![/HEADING]

NoMoreSanity said:
I don't see the problem with Martrydom really. I mean it's a legitamate way to get kills, and you have a good chance to get away from it, so why complain?
Legitimate? You have to die in order to kill, that's hardly legitimate. It's not always difficult to get away from, but it can be frustrating.

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
Never plated CoD4 online.

But Martyrdom sounds like an easy kill system for people who suck at the game.

51gunner

Jun 12, 2008
Interesting. I find Martyrdom tiresome, but not really that broken. I'd like to see what the change is.

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Legitimate? You have to die in order to kill, that's hardly legitimate. It's not always difficult to get away from, but it can be frustrating.
Which is why it's great for less experienced players. If your good you don't need to use it.
I agree with you, it's good for the new people and it's the great equalizer against the shotgun(or LMG)-juggernaut move.

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
Sounds cool, but I wish they told us how they changed it. Sounds like they're keeping it under wraps because they know the changes will be controversial.

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Which is why it's great for less experienced players. If your good you don't need to use it.
Exactly. You're essentially rewarding them for sucking. They'll be thinking "Why play well when I can run like mad, get a kill with my shotgun, and 3 more when I die?"
Something like Last Stand works, because you have to aim from an uncomfortable position while you're in it.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
Zac_Dai said:
But Martyrdom sounds like an easy kill system for people who suck at the game.
yep! It was just a pain in the ass, I am so glad they are getting rid of it!

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
I have to say when first playing these COD games i found everyone and i mean everyone in free-for-all used this perk and to be honest they still do. Its a cheap way of getting kills and for me defeats the point of a deathmatch let alone an FPS.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
I don't see the problem with Martrydom really. I mean it's a legitamate way to get kills, and you have a good chance to get away from it, so why complain?
Maybe if it didn't make you shit a grenade out of your arse when your actual Frag Grenade had been used up so people actually had to think about whether they wanted to throw a grenade or chance a martyrdom kill after they did.

But no, magically appearing greandes makes far more sense >_>

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
yea, you just gotta watch the gernade icon.
i dont play very often, only when im at my buddys house so it is a problem for me.
but its fair, i may not like it but with any game where you have ability and power choices the player who is smarter about his choices wins.
in my eyes martrydom is a good choice but i like double tap and stopping power better.