301: No Later Than Monday

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
Blockbuster made some extremely bad decisions and now they are going out of business. It's the way things are supposed to work.

As a counter to the rental companies don't work argument, let me say this "Family Video".

Rental companies are going to exist for a while. The business principle just works.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
It is pretty depressing. The last time I was in a Blockbuster it actually made me sad at how dead it was, and the surprise of the employees when someone actually walked inside.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Blockbuster isn't the only video game rental place. There's online ones (gamefly) and other local rental stores as well. As sad as it would be to lose Blockbuster altogether (I used to work there) maybe it's time! Perhaps now is the era in which blockbuster is no longer needed. Just like how movie theaters are going to be soon.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Onlive and other things like that will take their place in the same way Steam took retail game stores

Undeadpool

Aug 17, 2009
I've used Gamefly for years and I really don't see this as a very big deal. I haven't had to rent a game in years and years, and yeah Gamefly's a little tricky but when you learn the intricacies (if you put only new games in your queue, you'll get something within a week) it's incredibly convenient. And Blockbuster had the same problem of running out of rentals of new titles, so it's really not that different.
And if you're one of those people who cares about when you play games and how long you have to wait, then you can probably afford to pre-order or buy. I haven't thought of Blockbuster as the place to rent games in a REALLY long time, and based on the lack of people in their aisles, I'm not the only one.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I miss places like Blockbuster and Hollywood Video. I miss the days when my brother and I would walk around the aisles, checking out what kind of games there are and what we should rent. Now, the place where Hollywood used to be is now an empty space that has yet to be bought for the past three or so years. My local Blockbuster was also taken down as well.

It's kind of depressing seeing some of the places from your childhood get taken away as you grow older. It just shows you don't know what you got till it's gone.

R.I.P Blockbuster and Hollywood. We'll never forget you.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
CyanideDream said:
So, did you guys know that there is a 1-week, FULL refund policy when buying used games at Gamestop? No strings attached. So it is like renting a game at blockbuster, except you get a better selection, for a longer rental time, and for absolutely free.

Knowing this makes this article irrelevant. At least until Gamestop discontinues this policy because, apparently, I blew their secret wide open.
Haha, that used to be their new game policy as well! I think I bought maybe 3 games for the first few years the PS2 was out, at least till they changed the policy. It was ludicrous... and ocmpletely awesome all at once.

OT: They have this service called Gamefly. It's Netflix for videogames. $10/month gets you a rental at a time with no late fees or anything..... I know you guys know what I'm talking about. This article is very dramatic, haha.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Shoggoth2588 said:
You can still rent games you silly billy. Play-N-Trade offers rentals (most of them anyway...as far as I know). Redbox is another, some of them offer games. Gamefly, the Netflix for game players. There's also Gamestop although it's a bit different for them. For gamestop, you buy a used game, play it then before those first 7 days are up, you take it back with the receipt for a full refund or another 'rental'. Just make sure you get it back before day 7...Also, I'm about 80% sure you can return merchandise from one store at another one, making the 'rental process' easier.
I definitely got into renting games with Blockbuster, especially with all these games worth only about 4-5 hours (i.e. NOT $60).

Yeah I need to check of the local Play-N-Trade near me offers rental, but I've heard of that little trick with GameStop (still waiting for Netflix near here to start doing games...). Ultimately, I suppose I'll switch to Gamefly once the Blockbusters near me go extinct...

googleback

Apr 15, 2009
UK residents don't fret! we have CEX for nostalgic box browsing. They sell everything, REALLY great if you're a broke gamer.

googleback

Apr 15, 2009
At the end of the day I feel the most sorry for people who will lose their jobs over this, I know some people who work at bb because They like the benefits they have as movie buffs. sucks for them the most.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
Direct2Drive seems to be on the right track here, though their pricing is badly set-up.

http://www.direct2drive.com/Search.aspx?SearchTerm=rentals

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
These on-demand streaming services haven't taken off in Ireland, apparently. There are plenty of rental stores around, which is great. Facilitated that grand old college ritual of buying a few beers and playing through the latest release on a Friday night..

Jjkaybomb

Nov 22, 2009
My library has games that you can check out for a week, but those are always gone. And I'm sure smaller libraries wouldnt even bother stocking games, they're just barely beginning to accept comic books on the shelves.

More importantly, I saw one of Redbox's competitors with a game rental thing attached to it. Game rental is probably just going to shift to the dollar-a-day machines, like movies have.

googleback

Apr 15, 2009
similar.squirrel said:
These on-demand streaming services haven't taken off in Ireland, apparently. There are plenty of rental stores around, which is great. Facilitated that grand old college ritual of buying a few beers and playing through the latest release on a Friday night..
Which is always awesome. I think a streaming service could replace the issue of waiting for the post in the areas where rental stores have died out.
I think there will always be a way of having that kind of get together. Here's to many more haha!

Drake_Dercon

Sep 13, 2010
I will definitely think of renting next time I want a game. Thankfully, Netflix only came to Canada this year, so I have some time before the option is gone forever.