Infinity Ward: Modern Warfare is a "New IP"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Infinity Ward: Modern Warfare is a "New IP"

Modern Warfare 2 [http://www.infinityward.com/] as a "new IP" and is committed to sticking with the franchise for as long as it can.

Bowling was responding to comments made by Gearbox [http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/] CEO Randy Pitchford in June, when he suggested that Infinity Ward is trapped within the confines of the Call of Duty games. "It's too big of a risk for Infinity Ward to do anything but what they're doing," Pitchford said," because there's too much value and there's (a) really big scope for it."

Bowling denied Pitchford's claim, however, telling VideoGamer.com [http://www.videogamer.com/news/infinity_ward_modern_warfare_3_not_in_development.html] that Infinity Ward will do something else "eventually" but that for the moment, the studio wants to tap the potential of the Modern Warfare games.

"When we feel like we can't innovate any further in the Call of Duty franchise, then we'll do something else. A lot of that mentality went into Modern Warfare 2. That's why it's Modern Warfare 2," he said. "It is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, but you'll never see that in game. We never call it that. It's because we think of this as a new IP. This is our Modern Warfare 2 game. So we are constantly doing new stuff."

"We're doing stuff in this game that you've never seen before, which is awesome," he continued. "We're going to new locations in single player that you've never seen before. We innovate in our own way. But yeah, eventually we'll do something else, and it will be fun and it will be awesome and it will be fresh and it will be great."

At this point, however, that sort of long-term planning isn't even on the table; he said the team is completely focused on Modern Warfare 2 and doesn't even know what it's next project will be. "Right now, 100 per cent of the team is dedicated on Modern Warfare 2," he said. "Honestly, we have no clue what our next game is. I'm planning on taking a nap for three months. And then maybe I'll wake up."

Call me crazy but innovative or not, I'm betting that Modern Warfare will have something to do with it.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
So they are going to carry on making generic fps games then? Claim its a new IP all you want but its not, and I am starting to tire of these fps's. I am all willing for modern warfare 2 to prove me wrong, but if its just more of cod 4 in different places then I wont be impressed.

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
.....But it's not.....it's Call of Duty. Whether you call it that or not it's still Call of Duty.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
How exactly can a direct sequel to a game be a new IP?

EDIT: I understand they only "think" of it as a new IP, but its still a stupid comment to make...

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Cool. Nintendo are changing the next Zelda so it's called "Link's war" and Microsoft are calling Halo Reach just "Reach". they're new IPs don'tcha know?

:/

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
D_987 said:
If anything this will be even worse because they could be spawning about six sequels from this mythos. Something I really don't want.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
what does IP mean?

I think that they should work on something else before they even consider a new Modern Warfare. Perhaps something to use the strealine combat and such but witha new setting and the like? likea mass effect style RPG, with they style of story telling they had in the first one combined with multiple rpg elements cand they combat could prove to be a very good game.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Simalacrum said:
I like the idea of a 3 month nap. Mind if I join him?
Kinky.

I mean-

Uh...

I think that Modern Warfare could be a new IP, but that's a very far reaching claim to make. Covering the entirety of modern warfare cuts out a huge number of possible games.
Then again, I have no idea how Intellectual Property rights work, but I'm sure it's far more complicated than I can fathom.
I'm half-hoping the patent officers steals the idea like Einstein did with his theory of special relativity.

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
funksobeefy said:
what does IP mean?
Internet Protocol...Intellectual Property....Image Processing...it's one of those...

Also, more sequels from the good maker of CoD games.

Standby

Jul 24, 2008
Didn't they remove themselves from the 'CoD' name a few months back briefly before quickly swapping back? Something to do with brand recognition falling through the floor.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
As much fun as this game is going to be, I really hope they don't turn Modern Warfare into their next big batch of games subccumming to the "George franchiseicide Lucas" Disease. CoD 4 was "new and original" back in 2007, Modern Warfare 2 is just expanding on this premise and hopefully add some closure like what lead up to the event of Mile High Club at the end of CoD 4. At most, the Moder Warfare series should stop at the 3rd installment if they absolutly feel there must be a another game after this one. If they go 4, then I'm going to start saying it's "old and been done before."

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I'd actually count it as the true CoD series whilst the rubbish that Treyarch churns out is a (far) lesser series.

johnman said:
D_987 said:
How can the 8th game in the series be a new IP?
I think he meant Modern Warfare 2 is a continuation of the new IP that Modern Warfare was. If that makes sense.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Translation: MW2 has a cliffhanger ending so they can sell you MW3 too.

I wonder how many years it'll take for this particular franchise to e beaten to death...

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
TheTygerfire said:
.....But it's not.....it's Call of Duty. Whether you call it that or not it's still Call of Duty.
yeh, its still part of series, they got their fanbase from COD and when they took COD out the title they lost interest, so theyre clearly not on theyre own...

D_987 said:
thast the first thing that came into my mind

at the end of the day, they can say its not a COD game and they can even think of it as not a COD game, but it is, i bet it plays alot like COD4...maybe when they make theyre new games in the future they will understand what a new IP is :p

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
that's pretty funny, it's not innovative, it's not a new ip. i would like to know what he's been smoking and where i can get some

iJosh

Nov 21, 2007
What kind of IP are you talking about? Unless it was in the topic and I totally missed it. Just because I am that tired