New 360 Wireless Network Adapter Confirmed, Holiday Bundle Rumored

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
New 360 Wireless Network Adapter Confirmed, Holiday Bundle Rumored

An over-priced replacement to the currently over-priced Xbox 360 wireless network adapter is coming.

The Xbox 360 wireless network adapter could be considered a sore-spot in the system's accessory offerings, widely believed to be priced too high at $99.99 in North America. However, Microsoft has confirmed a replacement to this adapter that will have two mini-antennae instead of one, and will use 802.11n instead of 802.11g. What does that mean? It will be better. Specifially, it should provide better reception and increase the ability to stream 1080p content.

Rumors began swirling around the new gadget when it was revealed through FCC filings and when it appeared on a promotional advertisement that was packaged inside the Italian version of Gears of War 2: GOTY Edition. Microsoft responded to TeamXbox [http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/20999/Xbox-360-Wireless-N-Networking-Adapter-Confirmed/]'s inquiries about the rumored new wireless adapter with this statement:

We can confirm that Xbox 360 will offer a Wireless N Networking Adapter that will enable Xbox 360 owners to seamlessly connect with their home network with the highest wireless 'N' technology. The Wireless N Networking Adapter will provide another choice to consumers and creates an easy way for Xbox 360 owners to fully enjoy the added benefits of Xbox LIVE. We look forward to sharing more details on this product soon. Stay tuned.

The best part is that, according to a source speaking to Ars Technica, the new 802.11n wireless adapter will replace the existing adapter at $99.99. The old adapter will drop to $79.99 if the source is to be believed. While this means that the old wireless adapter could almost drop to a reasonable price, purchasing it will make you feel like you're buying the "Lame-O Edition(TM)" if you don't get the 802.11n for another $20.

Ars Technica's source also believes a new Xbox 360 Elite holiday bundle, that will start being sold in the middle of October, will include Pure and Lego Batman. If true, the games will likely simply be included in all 360 Elites, similar to the way the holiday bundle worked last year that included Kung Fu Panda and Lego Indiana Jones.

Source: Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/09/the-250-elite-microsofts-50-rebate-begins-now.ars]

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
I don't get it. Aren't wireless dongles for the PC only like $5? How can this be so much more expensive?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Nimbus said:
I don't get it. Aren't wireless dongles for the PC only like $5? How can this be so much more expensive?
Because it's proprietary.
It's like how psn is going to charge original retail prices for games on the psp go even though you can find the umd for half the price.
Because you can only buy it from them, they can charge whatever they want.

MS should at least give you a free year of live or something to make it almost worth it. I guess if you get a 360 you just have to expect to keep paying.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Thanks, Microsoft. This is exactly what we need; another overpriced little gizmo for those of us who would only be able to access Live with a wireless connection.

Thanks a lot, assholes.

Seriously, why couldn't they just focus on making a cheaper, more effective variant of the original device? If I'm not mistaken, technology has advanced a bit since the first 360 wireless adaptor was released.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
While I like the idea of a 802.11n adapter, I still think the $99 price point is too high. The old adapter should drop to about $39 and the new one about $59 - $69. When both the Wii and the PS3 have built-in Wireless, making your adapter $99 is not a way to win.

DRADIS C0ntact

Mar 26, 2009
Nimbus said:
Because Microsoft knows that people who don't have their 360's near their modems will want one.

This is probably the only real beef I have with Microsoft concerning the 360. I know they want to make a profit, but it's really kind of insulting to have this thing priced at 100 dollars.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Huh. I guess with the Wii and PS3 having built-in wireless, I just assumed the 360 had it as well.

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
This type of shit is why I hate M$. And the lack of wireless peripherals is retarded. I wish they'd just let 3rd parties go to town.

PsiMatrix

Gray Jedi
Feb 4, 2008
And this is why i stick with wires. £10 for a 25 metre cable and only network issues to worry about

MSTJedi

Feb 25, 2009
PsiMatrix said:
And this is why i stick with wires. £10 for a 25 metre cable and only network issues to worry about
Yep, that's my solution, too. Although I have heard that you can get the original Xbox wi-fi adapter to work on the 360. You can get one of those for about half the price as the 360 one . . . as long as you don't mind it being even slower than the current 360 adapter.

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
Fucking stupid. Bite the bullet and price these things at market friendly prices or bundle them. This shit is strait up insulting.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
CarrionRoc said:
The goddamn 360 should have one built-in!
Cryo84R said:
Fucking stupid. Bite the bullet and price these things at market friendly prices or bundle them. This shit is strait up insulting.
Both true. I refuse to pay up my original wireless adaptor works just fine, thank you MS.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
25' of Cat-5 cable; $12. That's how my 360 is hooked up, and I didn't even go shopping for the best price on cabling.

The way I see it, the $99 price tag is a tax on the trendy and the ignorant. The former I'm alright with, given that Luludemon has built an entire business model around it; the latter makes me feel uncomfortable.

-- Steve

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
Of course, you can buy a regular USB wireless N adapter for $30 or less, it just won't work on the XBOX. Kinda like their 120GB 2.5" hard drive that you could buy for $40 at a computer store (add $10 for the XBOX-style case).

Incidentally, you can buy an ethernet to wireless bridge for less than $99. It can be used for many other things too.

Screw Microsoft.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
DRADIS C0ntact said:
Nimbus said:
Because Microsoft knows that people who don't have their 360's near their modems will want one.
Or you can do what I did. Buy 25 feet of LAN Cable for $25 (seems a bit expensive in retrospect but still), run the cable to my router. Tread Lightly. Problem Solved. $74 saved, and the PS3 crowd automatically loses any "we get the free wireless" argument.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Anton P. Nym said:
25' of Cat-5 cable; $12. That's how my 360 is hooked up, and I didn't even go shopping for the best price on cabling.
I had a similar arrangement back home.

Seriously people: CABLES ARE CHEAPER. And if you have even a MINIMAL amount of home repair knowledge, you should be able to find a way to hide it, if you're that obsessed about letting the cable hang out.