Stonking Great Game Contest Update

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Stonking Great Game Contest Update

Since August 5th, eager game designers have been hoping to be found worthy by Yahtzee Croshaw, by submitting their browser-based "Zero Punctuation" games for his review as part of the Escapist's Zero Punctuation Stonking Great Game Contest.

Today, The Escapist has announced that 13 members of the game industry elite will be joining Yahtzee at the judges' table to add their years of game design expertise to the evaluation of the contest's entries.

"When we created the contest, it was our hope to just have a little fun and give aspiring game developers a chance to show us what they could do with the Zero Punctuation IP," said Russ Pitts, Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist. "When we mentioned the contest to some of our developer friends, the response was overwhelmingly positive. It seems like the professional developers really wanted to see what our audience could do - and then judge them harshly."

The Contest will cease accepting submissions in just under a month, and the winners will be announced in November. The celebrity judging panel, led by Yahtzee, will evaluate each submission on the strength of various factors, as well as delivering a final "judgment". Pitts says the developer response to the contest has completely changed the tone of the event.

"Instead of the little Flash game contest we envisioned, now we've got this world-class competition shaping up. Designers who submit their games for this contest, will be getting their work in front of some big-name people who could really give them some monumental advice. This could potentially be a life-changing event for some young aspiring designer."

The Escapist is proud to announce the Stonking Great Game Contest judges panel:

Dan Teasdale: Design Lead, Harmonix
Richard Dansky: Central Clancy Writer, Red Storm
R. Michael Young: Professor, North Carolina State University
Chad Dezern: Studio Director, Insomniac
Nate Fox: Game Director, Sucker Punch
Richard Lemarchand: Design Lead, Naughty Dog
Greg McClanahan: Director of Games, Kongregate
Kelly Zmack: President, Radical
Rusty Buchert: Senior Producer, Sony
Nick Earl: SVP Visceral Games, EALA
Brian Bright: Project Director, Neversoft
Joby Otero: Chief Creative Officer, Luxoflux
Guha Bala: President, Vicarious Visions

The Escapist will be accepting entries until 12:00 PM (noon) EDT on October 19th. To find out how to submit a game, check out the main contest page HERE [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contests/register/stonkinggreatgame_09].

Feb 13, 2008
Uh...

Does anyone else think that Yahtzee should be wearing armour to this meeting?

As well as Dan Teasdale wearing earplugs over ears for the repeated screams of "What the fuck happened to Clive Winston?" from Yahtzee.

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Uh...

Does anyone else think that Yahtzee should be wearing armour to this meeting?

As well as Dan Teasdale wearing earplugs over ears for the repeated screams of "What the fuck happened to Clive Winston?" from Yahtzee.
I think both of those things, and would voice my opinion about Mr. Winston as well. Then again, Yahtzee is leading this merry troupe. It would be cool to meet all of these people.

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
I don't like how they force you to make a game based off of Zero Punctuation. It's hard to make a good game when you can't even choose what it's about.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Quadtrix said:
I don't like how they force you to make a game based off of Zero Punctuation. It's hard to make a good game when you can't even choose what it's about.
That's one of the main points of the contest...

Interesting panel of judges. This contest looks like it could turn out pretty cool.

Kuliani

BEACUASE
Dec 14, 2004
That's definitely a very wide range of judges. Going from academic to casual to high volume, across executive, creative, and development backgrounds.

To those that have yet to submit a game to be judged, this is looking more like a "foot in the door" than just some random contest.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Quadtrix said:
Welcome to the commercial industry, where you find ways to do what you're told to the best of your ability regardless of whether you care about what you're working on or not. ;)

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
I think all the people who have already submitted their games just swallowed really hard, and all those people still working on one started to sweat a little... i certainly would if i were staring down this list of big shots...

bright side: whoever wins is about to have one hell of a 15 minuets of fame.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
notoriouslynx said:
I got bored making my ZP game but I might go back into it. I use game maker, is that alright or do I have to get flash?
It has to be in flash format for us to view and play.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Maybe someone could make Duke Nuk'em Forever, and make it like Yahtzee wanted it to be :p
but seriously, whatever game wins will probably be the most epic game of the year...
maybe...

Aqualung

Mar 11, 2009
...Duuuuuuuuuude...

This really makes me wish I knew how to design games. I'm no techie, all I can do is write. I think. Damn.

Spleenbag

Dec 16, 2007
Kuliani said:
That's definitely a very wide range of judges. Going from academic to casual to high volume, across executive, creative, and development backgrounds.

To those that have yet to submit a game to be judged, this is looking more like a "foot in the door" than just some random contest.
No kidding. If I'd have known I'd have attempted to pick up Flash and make something (I hear Java and ActionScript are pretty similar) but no regrets.

Best of luck to all contestants!

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Kuliani said:
... this is looking more like a "foot in the door" than just some random contest.
Too bad it's only flash based or else I'd try my hand at creating a 3D game, but that might look weird.
[small]Would have to enlist my friends who can code though, all I can do is model and to a small bit of animating.[/small]

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Yeah, but he was back in World tour, so I think he's past that now.

Feb 13, 2008
Megacherv said:
Yeah, but he was back in World tour, so I think he's past that now.
This is Yahtzee we're talking about, he's still hung up on Dizzy.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
And people say the Escapist doesn't love its members.

I mean, uh.

OF COURSE THEY DON'T NOBODY SAYS THAT

*sweats*

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
...Don't do it Yahtzee! It's an evil scheme to assassinate you!

Seriously though...really? Wow...