Borderlands' Replay Features Will Keep You Busy

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Borderlands' Replay Features Will Keep You Busy

According to developer Gearbox, Borderlands' length and replay features are is going to keep you busy for a while.

Borderlands is not going to be a quick run through the desert if Mikey Neumann, Creative Director at Gearbox Software, is to be believed. Players will cap out at a level of 50, but will beat the game at around 31-35. It can then be replayed in a "New Game Plus" mode that is much harder, where all of the enemies' levels are raised to 35-50, and rare spawns like the Brutes and the Badasses (which also drop the best loot) are much more common.

Neumann has played to level 50 twice, and says that it took him 100 hours the first time, and even more the second time because he was trying to complete all of the game's missions. 100 hours is a huge amount of time to play any game, but if Borderlands can really deliver that type of lasting experience and remains fun throughout, it could end up becoming a classic. To my knowledge, nobody has pulled off the FPS-Diablo hybrid, which Borderlands appears to aspire to.

Hitting the cap of 50 could be a problem if gamers run out of stuff to do, but Neumann hinted that Gearbox plans to extend the life of Borderlands with DLC. DLC feels like a natural fit for a game like Borderlands, as new missions and areas wouldn't seem too hard to just drop into the world for players to tackle. I hope Gearbox can make good on these claims, because Borderlands sounds like a dozer-load of fun. Expect to pick it up on October 20, 2009 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and on October 26, 2009 for the recently slightly pushed back PC version.

Source: MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/09/23/exclusive-gearbox-discusses-borderlands-new-game-plus-total-length/]

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Wow. Sounds awesome. I haven't really heard all that much about Borderlands, but if it is really going to have this amount of replay value, I'm definitely picking it up. It looks like what would happen if Fallout, Diablo, and the currently unreleased Rage had a threesome.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Sounds good, I've always been a big fan of the special second play through, I certainly wouldn't have put so many hours into games like Mass Effect and Metal Gear Solid if it weren't for the bonuses you got on multiple play throughs.
Borderlands sounds more and more appealing to me everytime I hear something new about it. But then that's why the hype machine is for after all.

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
Oh man, this game is on the "things to kill for" list right now. I really hope the DLC comes out in a timely fashion.

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
I don't think this is new info, the stuff about the enemies probably is though. Hmmm... Well I'm gonna go tell everyone over at the Gearbox forums.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
I really hope this game will be EPIC! Not bugged like Fallout 3 is.

(Note, I love Fallout 3, but 70 shotgun blast's to the head to kill one of the super radiated glowing zombies in the sewer? really?)

Ethereal87

Apr 2, 2008
I really hope this game delivers on all fronts. I haven't been this excited for buying something on release day in quite some time.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Four-player co-op, a massive world, a class system and replay value?

Gearbox know what they're doing.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Reuq said:
100 hours isnt alot. I have 200+ on my main Sacred 2 account, and if my friends maths are to be believed then I have played Halo 3 for 50days ish (I dont play it any more), not to mention my TF2 time on console and PC. Games are getting to short - but then I dont think that borderlands will be good enough to hold my attention for that long anyway, so its all a bit futile.
For a single player game (which seems to be what Neumann is referring to), 100 hours is an incredibly long time. Compared to a multiplayer* game, then yes, it is short.

*EDIT: Multiplayer as in not related to the main storyline.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
For a single player game (which seems to be what Neumann is referring to), 100 hours is an incredibly long time.
But the question is, will it remain interesting, or will it eventually yield to feeling mundane and repetitive?

I mean, Fable 2 is technically 100+ hours long...you know if you factor in replaying as every (melee, ranged, magic) then combine with moral choices (good, evil)...you beat the game once, you can play it again five different times!! (o_O unless you get bored...)

The only thing Neumann highlighted is the fact that the game would become considerably harder after beating it once...to me, that sounds akin to unlocking "insane" mode after beating a game once or something...

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
hansari said:
Heart of Darkness said:
For a single player game (which seems to be what Neumann is referring to), 100 hours is an incredibly long time.
But the question is, will it remain interesting, or will it eventually yield to feeling mundane and repetitive?

I mean, Fable 2 is technically 100+ hours long...you know if you factor in replaying as every (melee, ranged, magic) then combine with moral choices (good, evil)...you beat the game once, you can play it again five different times!! (o_O unless you get bored...)

The only thing Neumann highlighted is the fact that the game would become considerably harder after beating it once...to me, that sounds akin to unlocking "insane" mode after beating a game once or something...
I think that's more of a case of personal preference. I mean, I logged over 100 hours into Oblivion, and while it does feel samey at times, it hasn't gotten to be *too* repetitive yet.

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
Hell yeah! This game is going to be so awesome. It's going to be released on the same day that our Autumn-Break starts in Sweden.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
So far I have been thoroughly impressed with what I have seen of Borderlands combination of the fast action/skill of the FPS with the item hording, constant reward, character building ActionRPG Diablo series.
With Bioshock 2 stuck in 2010 this is my Favourite pick for Game of the Year.

Octorok

May 28, 2009
Ptoy. I spit on your "100" hours - Fallout 3 has provided me with 950+ hours of replay value, and continues to be enjoyable.

However not every game can be Fallout 3, so on the videogame meter this is up there on "OMG OMG OMG, pants shit Christ" with Modern Warfare 2 and Dead Rising 2.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Oh jeez. At the rate the good news keeps pouring in, I'm going to need to take drastic measures to remind myself about why listening to hype can be bad.

Time to whip out my copy of Spore.