Predator Returns to its Roots for Reboot

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Predator Returns to its Roots for Reboot

The new Predator movie will return the titular alien hunters to their original design, says the movie's make up artist.

The movie buffs amongst you are probably already aware of this, but the hunters in Predator looked different from those in Alien vs Predator, and for the reboot of the franchise, Predators, award-winning make-up artist Howard Berger, whose credits include Army of Darkness, Kill Bill and Sin City, is keen to go back to the series' roots.

"We wanted to have the Predator look as it did in the original film. We went back and looked at the original. I actually worked in the shop with Stan Winston [who designed the original Predator] on the first film. It was great to be able to go back to the series having not been involved in any of the sequels, and it was also great to be able to make sure we built them as Stan Winston did."

Normally the word reboot sends chills up the spines of fans, as directors miss the the point of the original source material, but the Robert Rodriguez's sequel is characterized by it's desire to respect and expand upon the 1987 movie. Will it pay off and be one of the few franchise jumps-starts that is actually worth watching? Let's hope so.

Source: Film Junk [http://www.filmjunk.com/2009/09/25/new-predators-looks-going-back-to-basics/]

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
I really hope they a great job of this. With the new games, Ridley Scott eyeing up a new Alien movie there could be some life left in both franchises.

Predator is one of the best political action movies ever made.

There are also rumours of Arnie being involved. But that always happens

E-mantheseeker

Nov 29, 2008
Another reboot eh? Batman Begins and The Hulk really has the film industry thinking Reboots are the way to go. I'm not sure how to feel about this one. I'd like it to be good, but I feel like the trailers will be the best part of the movie.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
E-mantheseeker said:
Another reboot eh? Batman Begins and The Hulk really has the film industry thinking Reboots are the way to go. I'm not sure how to feel about this one. I'd like it to be good, but I feel like the trailers will be the best part of the movie.
Gonna go with this. What's with all the reboots lately?

messy

Dec 3, 2008
E-mantheseeker said:
Hulk really? I was disappointed with that, but I never really liked the hulk.

I suppose it's easier then thinking of original ideas, make some ticket sales from the old die-hard fans straight away.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Geeeeeez is EVERYTHING getting a reboot now? What are they going to be rebooting next? Weird Science? The Outer Limits? The Twilight Zone? Full House?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? XÞ Feel free to stop me anytime.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
they better not disappoint me.
Build up my hopes on making a film as good as the old ones.
or the odd one nowadays.

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
Wait, they're making new Predator and Alien movies? Haven't the countless sequels been enough to prove that we don't need anymore of them?

[Cold-Shoulder]

Jun 5, 2009
I wish they could just end the Predator series. The first two movies were great but the predator vs alien movie was horrible which I see it as a sign saying that I shouldn't expect anything good to come from this movie.

WlknCntrdiction

May 8, 2008
nilcypher said:
Robert Rodriguez's sequel is characterized by it's desire to respect and expand upon the 1987 movie.
Anyone else heard Yahtzees' words about Monkey Island and them wanting to "respect" the original game reverberate around their head when they read that sentence?

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
I hope they do a good job with this, and I hope they don't just stick to the "look" of a Predator and ignore everything else..

Aug 25, 2009
Predator doesn't need a reboot, or a remake, or anything redone at all actually, stay away from remasters as well. It was a perfectly good 80s action movie that ended before it had a chance to get stale (I choose to refuse to accept AvP). Any attempt to further it will end in failure, I don't care who's involved.

E-mantheseeker

Nov 29, 2008
messy said:
E-mantheseeker said:
Hulk really? I was disappointed with that, but I never really liked the hulk.

I suppose it's easier then thinking of original ideas, make some ticket sales from the old die-hard fans straight away.
In terms of being better than the original, The Hulk reboot was a success. The original Predator didn't have any glaring problems, the series just went sour after a while, so I guess they're going for a Batman begins situation. I'm not too hopeful though

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Why tha fuck does everyone need to get back to the old shit every fucking time?

I loved the newer Predators. They were much cooler than the old ones, in my opinion. Unless they have a valid cosmetic reason to go back to the old, and not just playing off the nostalgia, they should stick with the newer design.

Byers

Nov 21, 2008
Isn't this actually a sequel, considering it's supposed to "expand on the original"? Or do we use the word "reboot" on any sequel coming out a significant number of years after the original now?