PSPgo Will Launch With 16,000 Pieces of DLC

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
PSPgo Will Launch With 16,000 Pieces of DLC

Sony has announced that 16,000 pieces of digital content will be available for the PSPgo [http://www.us.playstation.com/psp/systems/pspgo.html] when it launches in North America on October 1, 0.014 percent of which will actually be games.

The PSPgo isn't even out yet and it's already something of a controversial system. Sony's decision to make content for the console available exclusively via digital distribution has convert their existing UMD games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94805-UK-Retailer-Says-PSP-Go-Will-Be-Dead-on-Arrival] to digital format.

Now, Sony appears to be trying to assuage fears that the platform will be a barren wasteland by announcing that roughly 16,000 pieces of DLC will be available for the Go when it launches. The content will include 2300 movies, 13,300 television episodes and 225 games, a combination of "full PSP titles, PSN exclusives, UMD legacy titles and Minis," a reasonably healthy selection that will include Gran Turismo, Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny and God of War: Chains of Olympus. Sony will also have PSN Game Cards, a series of gift cards that can be purchased and used to download specific games, available in stores on launch day.

Do we feel better now?

Source: IGN [http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/102/1028647p1.html]

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
I want Mortal Kombat Unchained. If it's available for Go - I'll buy it, if not - 3000 model for me.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
16,000 pieces of DLC! Neither of which will improve the damn thing in anyway to prevent it from being the bomb of this generation.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
If you are able to convert your UMD drive games to digital format... Well you've just cracked the game haven't you? I get why they are stopping to think for a moment.

PSPgo seems neat-o. I prolly won't buy it, unless I stumble on some hidden treasure, but I might save up Lockerz PTZ and buy it =P.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
Malygris said:
0.014 percent of which will actually be games
I think you mean 1.4 percent. 0.014 is just the integer representation of the ratio of games to total DLC. To turn it into a percent, you need to move the decimal to the right two places.

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
Well this just sweetens the deal. I need a new PSP anyway my launch PSP is getting on and most of my UMD game are pants (excluding: God Of War, FFT: War Of The Lions, Daxter and MGS: Portable Ops). Besides I have been downloading PSP & PS1 games for a while and the Dl games will probably be cheaper because they dont have to account for packaging and shipping costs.

Crikey I really am trying to hard to convince myself.

Sephiwind

Darth Conservative
Aug 12, 2009
Last time I checked isn't the PSP Go supposed to be a video games system? With games being the smallest portion of the DLC for it the dman thing seems less like a portable gaming system and more like Sony's version of the IPod video.

I mean seriously it's like the old PSP mated with and IPod, and produced some weird contraption. Then Microsoft kidnapped it in the middle of the night, took it back to their corperate office, then slowly syphoned out its soul and replaced it with Micheal Bay.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Problem with an all-DLC system? For starters, lose your PSP? Say goodbye to ALL the games you ever bought for it. I can live with losing my save files. But losing all my games? That was a $480 investment if I bought them new!

hansari

May 31, 2009
Krakyn said:
Malygris said:
0.014 percent of which will actually be games
I think you mean 1.4 percent. 0.014 is just the integer representation of the ratio of games to total DLC. To turn it into a percent, you need to move the decimal to the right two places.
Haha...yeah you might wanna fix that. Unless Sony will only have 2.25 games available at the handhelds debut...

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Hmm...sounds interesting - I might get this in 6 months seeing as how my other PSP is near-dead...

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
Hurray for the GO! Now I can upgrade from a 1000 to a 3000, as many 12 year old kids will be selling their 3000's so their parents will allow them to get a GO.

Also, UMD's will be very cheap on ebay. I can see it now, the week following the launch of the GO, whole UMD collections going for sale cheap. I can't wait.

DistinctlyBenign

Dec 24, 2008
The only thing I use my PsP for is playing Final Fantasy 7... which I can do on my PS3 if I'd like.

Or my PS2. Or my PS1.

Maybe if the Converting my UMD games to digital thing was still in effect... and I got 3 free games... and it cost me less than $30 out of pocket I would upgrade. Otherwise I'm fine playing my PS1 Classics on my 2000 model. I would still have my 1000 model but my brother bricked it.

Also... that picture has the PsP playing Fat Princess? I didn't know there was a PsP version of that. Is that out or upcoming?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Nieroshai said:
Problem with an all-DLC system? For starters, lose your PSP? Say goodbye to ALL the games you ever bought for it. I can live with losing my save files. But losing all my games? That was a $480 investment if I bought them new!
To be fair, I'm pretty sure they're going to work it the same way they do now. You purchase the software under your account name and you can re-download it. For example if I went into my ps3 and deleted echocrome, I could go right into psn and download it again without paying.

They would have to make it that way or else what would you do when it fills up, get a new one?

Still, at this point I doubt that all the overpriced dlc in the world couldn't save the go. It's going to bomb quicker than the Game Boy Micro which is too bad, because it had potential. It's just too bad that they've made everything about it overpriced.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Man, the news keeps getting worse. What's next? The Go requires the blood of innocents instead of batteries?

Actually, that's a bit extreme, even for satire's sake. However, I just thought of something REALISTIC that could be worse: exclusive games for the PSP Go. If that ever happens... ugh.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
All this effort Sony is going to it makes you wonder why they didn't just make a completely new hand-held console, with more processing power and BETTER CONTROLS. Basically a PSP-2.

Of course it would be backwards compatible with PSP games via download but I'd accept that if it was a brand new and more powerful console with better controls. The price would also make sense.

But this is NOT a brand new console, this is just mutton dressed up as lamb with the same old bullshit as before and even more problems and difficulties and way more expensive too, ridiculously expensive even.

Sony should ditch the PSP-go NOW as it is shit like this that has caused gaming companies in the past to go under. Cut your losses while you still can.

And only an idiot would buy into this as it is pretty much guaranteed to fail though no doubt Sony will puff it up with as much cash for gimmicks as possible but that can't compensate for lack of innovation.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Sephiwind said:
Last time I checked isn't the PSP Go supposed to be a video games system? With games being the smallest portion of the DLC for it the dman thing seems less like a portable gaming system and more like Sony's version of the IPod video.

I mean seriously it's like the old PSP mated with and IPod, and produced some weird contraption. Then Microsoft kidnapped it in the middle of the night, took it back to their corperate office, then slowly syphoned out its soul and replaced it with Micheal Bay.
Best assessment of the PSP-go I've heard yet.