Twitter Support Suspended in Uncharted 2

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Twitter Support Suspended in Uncharted 2

Raise your hand if you saw this one coming: Uncharted 2 [http://www.naughtydog.com/] after the game began clogging reviewers' feeds with messages.

When Twitter [http://www.twitter.com] support is active, Uncharted 2 automatically generates a message every time a player connects to an online game, unlocks a Trophy or completes a single-player chapter. If that sounds like trouble to you, you'd be on to something; unfortunately, it took a more direct whack over the head for the guys at Naughty Dog to really wake up to the idea that letting the game Tweet at will might prove troublesome.

Sure enough, it didn't take long for "concern" about the amount of Tweeting the game was doing to come to light. "Some reviewers have had early access to the game and selected the option to update their Twitter accounts as they completed each chapter of the game," Naughty Dog Co-President Evan Wells wrote on the PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/09/twitter-update-uncharted-2/]. "This has resulted in some Twitter feeds being updated multiple times an hour. We obviously want to provide the best experience for everybody, so for the time being we've disabled Twitter updates on chapter completions."

The menu option still exists in the game but is no longer active. Wells said the situation won't be permanent, however; Naughty Dog plans to release a patch for the game sometime after it launches that will re-enable Twitter but put a limit on how often it updates.

"We're certainly sorry for the inconvenience," Wells wrote, "but I guess that's the risk you run when trying to blaze a new trail in the complicated world of social media!"

Feb 13, 2008
Malygris said:
"We're certainly sorry for the inconvenience," Wells wrote, "but I guess that's the risk you run when trying to blaze a new trail in the complicated world of social media!"
NHGH... So your idea of blazing a trail is by leaving spam everywhere? Here's my response:

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
All I can say to that is...

[http://photobucket.com/images/yoda%20fail]

No offense, but that idea was never a good one to begin with.

Nalarion

Apr 30, 2009
i dont even have a twitter... cause im a loser i guess... but oh well, so ya ill work on the twitter thingy and hope that this actually works so it is enabled :D

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Just be glad that Blizzard didn't think of this for WoW achievements.

Especially during seasonal events.

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
This does seem like the dumbest idea ever... well maybe not the dumbest but still pretty stupid. Actually it's not that bad of an idea when you think about it. They wanted to take a game that was online to begin with and let it link directly with your twitter account so that when you beat a stage or received a trophy you could... no wait... that is stupid. I can't decide whether or not this is brilliant or dumb.

I personally can't stand Twitter. Like I want all of my friends knowing what I'm doing every minute. I don't give a shit about what they're doing so why would I think they give a shit about what I'm doing.

Twits.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I would like to know why anyone would think this is a good idea in the first place. You already have trophies so if anyone really cared they could just check it couldn't they? I guess it really speaks volumes about the industry if this is what is now considered innovative.

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
I'm kinda glad they are re-thinking this. When I first heard about it, I rolled my eyes...and thought "Oh great, another way to get meaningless spam from my friends akin to chain letters".

If I'm walking around town, the last thing I want to get a Tweet about is how numerous friends are doing in a game I don't own every 10 minutes.

Horrid idea...epecially getting alerted that a friend has 'launched' the game. There is such a thing as info overload of crap.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
And why would you want to advertise to the world that you just spent the entire day sat inside doing sweet FA?

I keep my gaming away from all but a few friends, I have much better thigns to talk about.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Well thank goodness for that, I can't see why anybody needed something along the lines of this:

NDrake: Escaping Bus dangling over cliff
(30 seconds ago from Tweetdeck)

NDrake: On Bus
(20 minutes ago from Tweetdeck)

However I will give credit where it's due and say that it was kind of a neat idea although completely superfluous.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
AceDiamond said:
Well thank goodness for that, I can't see why anybody needed something along the lines of this:

NDrake: Escaping Bus dangling over cliff
(30 seconds ago from Tweetdeck)

NDrake: On Bus
(20 minutes ago from Tweetdeck)

However I will give credit where it's due and say that it was kind of a neat idea although completely superfluous.
NDrake: Used fat asian kid as cushion. Absolutely fine.
(5 seconds ago from Tweetdeck)

NDrake: Didn't make it. Gonna die.
(15 seconds ago from Tweetdeck)

This is fun! Now let's do one for Snake in Metal Gear Solid.

FernandoLs

Sep 24, 2009
Yeah, I didn't think the Twitter updates was such a great idea, it had too much potential to be very annoying. That aside though, Uncharted 2 is definitely my game to watch right now. Intense combat, great platforming, engaging storyline, and FREE online co-op over PSN?! If you don't have a PS3 yet, October is the time to get it!

Get a FREE PS3!:
http://www.gamesncs.com/rd_p?p=192108&t=9528&a=13190-splaystation&gift=13190