Your Chance to Help The Escapist!

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Your Chance to Help The Escapist!

Help us test out our Live Video Chat by talking with The Escapist Staff today at 4pm!

We're beta testing a new Live Video Chat feature that will let you, our lovely readers, interact with special guests in real time. But before we let you loose on Escapist celebrities, we figured we'd work out the kinks in the system with the Escapist Staff. (Hey, it's their job to put up with shenanigans like this.)

That's where you come in. Today at 4pm EDT, we need you to join us for the Live Video Chat. It's really easy - just click this link and you'll be taken right to the page where the chat will be held. On the bottom will be a special IRC chat room, where you can ask questions that you'd like the staff to answer. Up top, you'll see a video feed of them as they struggle to come up with an answer that doesn't make them look dumb. Simple! Well, assuming nothing blows up, that is. Please note, if you are already logged into IRC, your nickname will not show up in THIS chatroom.

What game is Russ Pitts playing right now? What's John Funk's Pokemon dream team? How would Susan Arendt fix Wet? Why do police continually receive reports of screams coming from Jordan Deam's basement? Now's your chance to find out!

Please join us today at 4pm EDT to help us test the system. There may even be...a reward...(cue dramatic music).

To start, Click Here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/videos/6300-Live-Video-Chat-Test]! We look forward to you seeing us LIVE! (This link will not be live until 3:45PM EDT - [timer=Sep 30, 2009 19:45] from now).

hansari

May 31, 2009
Spinwhiz said:
We're beta testing a new Live Video Chat feature that will let you, our lovely readers, interact with special guests in real time.
Well if this pans out, you must bring us Bobby Kotick!

...you know...for a thoughtful Q and A on the video game industry...and to watch him smile...

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
I don't have no fancy-schmancy video web cam for recording visual images. I do have a microphone for recieving and transmitting live audio. I could help test the audio front, but not visual, sorry.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
T-Bone24 said:
I don't have no fancy-schmancy video web cam for recording visual images. I do have a microphone for recieving and transmitting live audio. I could help test the audio front, but not visual, sorry.
Questions for the staff will be in the form of text, in an IRC channel. The staff will be answering said questions using the magic of streaming audio /video. No webcam or microphone is required to ask questions, but headphones or speakers and the ability to type is a must.

Gorbek said:
Oh fer, I thought I was late until I actually read the thing and googled EDT.
GMT -4 hours

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Exactly how long is this going for? I have class during that time and won't be done for 2 hours after that. : /

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Exactly how long is this going for? I have class during that time and won't be done for 2 hours after that. : /
We're shooting for less than an hour, sadly. Try to make the next one!

We're also (I think) taping this for posterity. If it isn't terrible, we'll probably post it on the site at some point in the future.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
wow, this is awesome, is it done with webcams? xD

and will this be available for members after the staff have tested it >.> cause if so I may need to buy a webcam, since mine doesnt work :/

But yeah, I should be there! :D

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Russ Pitts said:

We're also (I think) taping this for posterity. If it isn't terrible, we'll probably post it on the site at some point in the future.
Aww... Bananas.
Well you have an estimated date for the next one?

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Russ Pitts said:

Aww... Bananas.
Well you have an estimated date for the next one?
Not yet. Stay tuned!

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
CaptainCrunch said:
GMT -5 hours
You sure? Because it's almost 8pm GMT now and...

"04:00:00 p.m. Wednesday September 30, 2009 in Etc/GMT-5 converts to
11:00:00 a.m. Wednesday September 30, 2009 in GMT" -timezoneconverter.com

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I think it is smart that you guys don't have 2-way video. Wouldn't want all the hot gamer-girls flashing their bodies to Russ, Mr. Funk, and Susan...

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
Nimbus said:
CaptainCrunch said:
GMT -5 hours

So it was at 11 in the morning here in the UK?
damn

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Jedamethis said:
Nimbus said:
CaptainCrunch said:
GMT -5 hours

So it was at 11 in the morning here in the UK?
damn
Well this was posted at like 4 PM GMT, so I doubt it.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
GMT. EDT is 4 hours behind that (GMT - 4), so 7:45 GMT. At the linked site, pick your country, find the GMT +- # and apply it to that.

Also, I updated CaptainCrunch's GMT modifier to account for the 'D' in EDT.