Buy a Blu-ray, Watch it on Your PSP

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Buy a Blu-ray, Watch it on Your PSP

Sony will finally be allowing us to easily watch a Blu-ray movie on our PSPs.

Starting in November, select Sony Pictures Blu-ray movie releases will also include a digital copy of the movie that can only be viewed on a PSP. That's right, only a PSP, not a PC or any other device. Digital copies have been included on Blu-ray movie discs before, but were typically on a separate DVD and did not provide functionality to be watched on a PSP. The inclusion of a PSP-functional copy of a movie right on the Blu-ray is a feature that had been talked about and pushed for a while, but is only just now becoming a reality.

The confusing part about this is that some Sony Pictures Blu-Ray releases have already included a digital copy that could be played on a PSP. The difference here is apparently that the digital copy could only be transferred to a PSP through a PlayStation 3. While this might be annoying, it will hopefully make the process easier than previous transfer methods.

This sounds like a way for Sony to push the PSP if a separate digital copy compatible with other devices is not included. Basically, they're telling consumers that they are getting a better value if they own a PSP along with the PS3 they're watching their Blu-rays on. Still, its a nifty feature if you own both a PSP and a PS3 and want to get the most out of your Blu-ray purchases. The first movie to include a PSP-only digital copy will be Godzilla, releasing on November 3, 2009 according to Amazon [http://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Blu-ray-Matthew-Broderick/dp/B00164EAC8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1254250225&sr=8-1], while The Ugly Truth, releasing on November 10, will include both a PSP-only digital copy on the Blu-ray and a separate digital copy on DVD. Godzilla is on sale for $16.99 as of this posting, not a bad deal when you're getting the movie in two formats.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.homemediamagazine.com/digital-copy/sony-deliver-digital-copy-direct-blu-ray-disc-17162]

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
But still, to quote Yahzee, "Teenie-weenie Eye-strain-o-vision?"
Or can you hook the PSP up to a tv?

Kedcom

Feb 15, 2008
Erana said:
But still, to quote Yahzee, "Teenie-weenie Eye-strain-o-vision?"
Or can you hook the PSP up to a tv?
I actually don't mind watching stuff on my (very very small screened) ipod if I'm on holiday or on public transport or whatever. I thought it'd be really rubbish and I'd rarely use the video option as I'd bought it for music really, but it's not that bad to be honest. I have a PSP too which has a slightly larger screen but the battery life is too short for me to be bothered watching videos on that too. Particularly as I'd need more expensive SD cards whereas I can store 120GB on the other one without any extra expense...

Still, as I have a PSP and PS3, it's good to know about this BluRay extra for future reference!

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Having only bought a few DVD's in the last little while, I've only come across 2 or 3 with this "digital copy" on the disc.

Guess what? It doesn't work on any of my PC's. I'm inclined to believe it'll be the same with these PSP-only versions.

No sale here. If I want a copy for my PSP, I'll download the mp4 from PirateBay or something.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
I have thought for a while there should be a function for DVDs used with PS3 to be easily ripped to PSP format. It could be locked to the individual PS3-PSP partnership to prevent piracy.
This goes a small way to it but Bluray - wha?.

Someone should tell SONY I don't want Godzilla in any format.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Ooooh sweet :D nothing beats watching a movie while on the train-bus. Even at bed sometimes. There is something rly cool about watching a movie on PSP. I guess cuz u have to concentrate on watching while if ur on your PC you tend to look around sometimes.