Japanese Robot Fish To Help Prevent Car Crashes?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Japanese Robot Fish To Help Prevent Car Crashes?

A Japanese car company has developed a robotic fish that can move in shoals and hopes it might contribute to road safety.

Robots have been humanity's friends since their inception, despite what you might have seen in anti-robot propaganda movies like Terminator. The list of friendly robots is a long and illustrious one, including such luminaries as Johnny 5, Lieutenant Commander Data, The Autobots, and now joining that list, the Eporo.

The Eporo are three-wheeled robots designed by Nissan in Japan that can move in a shoals like fish. They keep track of the distance between themselves using laser rangefinders and are in constant radio communication with their neighbors.

Nissan hope that the Eporo will help in developing technology that would cut down on car accidents.
"We, in a motorised world, have a lot to learn from the behaviour of a school of fish in terms of each fish's degree of freedom and safety," said Toshiyuki Andou, Eporo's principle engineer.

Source: BBC [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8286500.stm]

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
This could pave the way for unlicensed drivers to drive by letting computers drive for them. This would mean that under aged as well as handicapped would be able to drive. Although without the ability to manual overwrite unless you got some kind of license card. Think about the possibilities!

LockHeart

Apr 9, 2009
Wow, that's pretty nifty, and it seems like a damn good idea. Maybe this could lead to something like automatic driving - just put in your destination and the car, maybe with help from a city-wide or satellite system, goes there itself.

On second thoughs, maybe that's where Skynet's inevitable rise will occur...

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
I didn't even have to read the title, just seeing that picture makes me want one of those things.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Let's just hope these cute little machines don't suddenly reminisce and feel homesick, and attempt to return to the sea while driving our cars.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
This assumes everyone is willing to buy something like that... People don't like to wear seatbelts, which are free in every car, and they expect anyone to buy this? ;d

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Wait, I'm confused how do these robot fish prevent accidents? Do you mean to say that the technology within the robot fish prevents accidents?

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
Wait, I'm confused how do these robot fish prevent accidents? Do you mean to say that the technology within the robot fish prevents accidents?
The technology yes.

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
Awww, it looks so cute!
Technology is just amazing. Even though I have doubts that big masses of fishes can swim all toguether without hitting each other.
But who cares if we can make it better? Go go fishy!

Insomniactk

Nov 11, 2008
Aedes said:
Awww, it looks so cute!
Technology is just amazing. Even though I have doubts that big masses of fishes can swim all toguether without hitting each other.
But who cares if we can make it better? Go go fishy!
They can, so can those green insects that can fly (Forgot the name <.<)

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
its SHWEEEEET! look at the thing its adorable!

*ehem* OT, I think that this is another great innovation in robotics. Thing is though, when are they going to start seeing them impact our every day lives? Sure, they make nearly everything thats mass produced, etc... but I'm yet to see a robot walking around saving people's lives all over the place.

KazNecro

Jun 1, 2009
I'm surprised no one has commented on how these things look similar to Bloopers from the Mario games.

An interesting bit of tech, but I'm not quite convinced that this will improve our day to day lives. So far, I'm still looking at this as simply flashy technology that makes us all go "Ooo, Shiny!". I'd hate to think of the mayhem caused if these devices went glitchy during heavy traffic times, or while driving on mountain roads, or during a bad storm.

Warhobo

Oct 17, 2008
nilcypher said:
Robots have been humanity's friends since their inception, despite what you might have seen in anti-robot propaganda movies like Terminator.
...you're one of them, aren't you? Everyone, they have infiltrated The Escapist! RUN!

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Furburt said:
Robot fish help people escape from car accidents? Hollywood blockbuster awaits!
Narrator: "One fish thought today would be like any other day. Until... All hell broke loose"

*Montage of car crashing into each other*

Nissan scientist: "We need to stop all these crashes. We need... ROBOT FISH!"

Narrator over a factory forging a cybernic parts for fish: "Now this fish is going to show the world how to DRIVE!"

*Rock music to image of hundreds of cyber-fish floating fast over the streets*

Narrator: "This summer, the fish are coming onto the land in CYBERFISH!"

Dan Shive

Jun 9, 2008
The idea isn't that you put one of those little robots in your car. The idea is that the technology these robots use to keep track of each other could one day be applied to cars to help prevent accidents.