311: We Don't Need No Education

Tracey John

Nov 8, 2010
We Don't Need No Education

Media Molecule's John Beech shows that to be a game developer, sometimes all you need is a PS3 and a lot of creativity

Read Full Article

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
TL;DR version
This guy is living the dream.

This reminds me of the guy who was working on World of Starcraft, that got brought to the Blizzard studios...
Not sure what exactly happened to him after that, but I'm sure WoS will be out sometime in 2050.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
I'll just leave this here...

Who ever said that sitting around playing video games all day never got you a job?

Wilko316

Jun 16, 2010
"We Don't Need No Education".

Yes you do, you've just used a double negative. =D

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Wow that is one hell of a story, see kids you don't need school at all :p
Just need to win a lottery...

Anyone has a list of those levels?

AnonymouZero

Oct 23, 2009
Mr.K. said:
Wow that is one hell of a story, see kids you don't need school at all :p
Just need to win a lottery...

Anyone has a list of those levels?
this!

and, now that he has been corrupted, just how long can he dazzle and win the approval of his peers? sure enough he's gonna learn and maybe do some code or whatthefuckever game devs need to know. but then, wouldn't he be just another part of the dev team?

enough with the pessimistic view tho, i for one am happy about the fucker.

Nocta-Aeterna

Aug 3, 2009
I feel inadequate once again. John Beech, you have my deepest respect, and if I owned a PS3 with LBP, I would now hurridly download all your levels.

halka

Jan 4, 2010
"...From not having any experience to be working at one of the best game companies in the world, it was such a quantum leap for me. It absolutely blew my mind."
So, a smallest possible leap, then?

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
As someone who also did work on a game mod (NWN) and got contacted by the company for a job opportunity (BioWare), I can echo his actions, however I did go to a 2y comp.gfx course, as opposed to a game development one.

Going to a school isn't as important as actually making use of available mod tools and making your own stuff. A piece of paper doesn't mean much unless you can actually show you can do the job and show creativity in this industry.

The Stonker

Feb 26, 2009
Wilko316 said:

Guess what?!

Nobody cares.
This story is full of awesome! It even makes me inspired.

Wilko316

Jun 16, 2010
The Stonker said:
Wilko316 said:

Guess what?!

Nobody cares.
It was a joke from The I.T. Crowd ... I'm not even sure what else to say, your comment made me laugh alot.

sergnb

Mar 12, 2011
Torrasque said:
TL;DR version
This guy is living the dream.

This reminds me of the guy who was working on World of Starcraft, that got brought to the Blizzard studios...
Not sure what exactly happened to him after that, but I'm sure WoS will be out sometime in 2050.
This reminds me of this illustrator that did fanart for Star Wars all his life and got hired by Lucas Arts as a concept artist

Pontus Hashis

Feb 22, 2010
Wanna know something else about this guy?

He almost got killed right befor he got the jobb. He was crushed under a pile of dirt.
And that was just one of the many times he was close to die.

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
Pontus Hashis said:
Wanna know something else about this guy?

He almost got killed right befor he got the jobb. He was crushed under a pile of dirt.
And that was just one of the many times he was close to die.
Well, luckily Baron Munchausen got a job at Media Molecule.

Seriously though, awesome story. I remember seeing some postings on MM and thinking how awesome it would be to work there. Glad to see someone from the community made it.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Wilko316 said:
The Stonker said:
Wilko316 said:

Guess what?!

Nobody cares.
It was a joke from The I.T. Crowd ... I'm not even sure what else to say, your comment made me laugh alot.
The IT crowd? Isn't that show new? I remember that double negative joke existing usually tied down to some angry hispanic guy with a knife (or perhaps that's just my mind playing games with me)