NASA Running Low on Space Fuel

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
NASA Running Low on Space Fuel

Deep space expeditions may come to a halt if NASA cannot acquire more of a specific type of fuel.

NPR reports [http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=113223613] that NASA is running low on plutonium-238, the type of hot-burning fuel required for deep space exploration where solar power cannot be relied upon. Current supplies could get NASA through its next few missions or so, but once they are used up, deep space exploration could completely stall. It might not happen for a decade, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a sense of urgency behind NASA's need to restart production of plutonium-238.

However, Congress does not seem to place plutonium-238 production high on the budget list, as they've given no indication that any more than $10 million may be allocated, when more than $150 million may be needed. The U.S. has not created any plutonium-238 since the 1980s, when it was a byproduct of Cold War activities. Purchasing the fuel from Russia is no longer a possibility either, due to Russian supplies also drying up.

Alan Stern, chief scientist for NASA's New Horizons probe, says that the New Horizons would never be able to journey to "Pluto in the Kuiper belt, where the sunlight is a thousand times lower and the temperatures are close to absolute zero," without plutonium-238. 10 years may be a long time, but the sense of urgency is still there right now according to Stern and other planetary scientists. Maybe we should ask Doc Brown where he gets his?

(Via: Gizmodo [http://gizmodo.com/5372589/nasa-is-running-out-of-space-fuel-no-refills-in-sight])

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Uh-oh.
Time to gear back up for production.
I... *Ahem* we need that to survive! Damn you connngggreeeessss!

I first read it as they would put no more than $10 towards production... I actually thought "What a bunch of tight gits" :p
but still not enough... need more cash for fuel...
Auuuuhahahahaha!

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
How ironic. And here I've been wondering why NASA hasn't been doing all that much as far as exploring space- and the Moon- goes...they haven't had any fuel to use! I just hope they'll manage to find more without drilling in Alaska or somesuch. No one wants our oil reserves depleted.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Maybe North Korea can spare some, and I hear Iran is about to start up production...

JMV

Sep 25, 2009
Let's ask the aliens for some, they probably have a more efficient and safe fuel source anyway.

RomanLegacy

May 6, 2009
Come on guys. Nuclear power is bad in every way lol.

Honestly, I'm worried about NASA. In the current climate of "Spending money on anything is bad", Nasa could get left in the cold. Seeing as how the results they get out of the program usually come out decades later.

When will people realize without NASA we wouldn't have Temprapedic? :D

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Maybe we should ask Doc Brown where he gets his?
Uh, we already know he got it from the Libyans. Geez, try to remember your 80's movies a little better.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Khell_Sennet said:
I don't see deep space exploration as a priority while we still don't have colonies on the moon or mars, and only a joke of a space station in orbit. Yes it's nice to go out and see beyond our solar system, but first things first. Besides, if we focus on close-to-home space, maybe we will develop an alternate engine model to the one we need Plutonium-238 for, and could save ourselves the grief and radioactive mutants.
Seconded. If they can't explore deep space,they should go concentrate on expanding ISS or building a moonbase.

heyheysg

Jul 13, 2009
Noooooo...

Space exploration is IMO humanity's last hope

1) Space Colonisation
2) Environmental Preservation
3) World Peace (ha! who am I kidding)

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I'd care, but I get the feeling space exploration is useless. It's just a waste of money and resources. We're not much closer to colonizing other planets now than 20 years ago. Until we find a way to travel to other planets quickly, with little energy wasted, I don't see a point in running missions. Just do research in a lab or something...

grimsprice

Jun 28, 2009
The_Oracle said:
How ironic. And here I've been wondering why NASA hasn't been doing all that much as far as exploring space- and the Moon- goes...they haven't had any fuel to use! I just hope they'll manage to find more without drilling in Alaska or somesuch. No one wants our oil reserves depleted.
You must have gotten confused when you hear the word 'fuel'. Plutonium is what atomic bombs are (can be,although uranium is easier) made of.

Yay. Anyways, screw the keiper belt, thats just boring rocks and some freezer burn.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
Pffft... Just invent something better already. Might be time to get creative. We need another jump in advancement.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Funny, the USA's daily military expediture exceeds $150 million...
Maybe.
They should just invent those damn stargates already. And colonise Mars.