222: Dude Looks Like a Lady

Brendan Main

Jul 17, 2009
Dude Looks Like a Lady

It's easy to feel sorry for the videogame princess: While the hero is off slaying dragons, her job is to wait around looking pretty. But one digital damsel refuses to be a victim. Brendan Main takes a closer look at the character of Sheik from The Legend of Zelda.

Read Full Article

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
An interesting read. I haven't had the fortune of playing the Zelda games, but this article makes it look mighty attractive.

It's like they say that the mask makes the person. Every superhero in history changes almost completely when they put on their hood, mask, cloak, etc. Point illustrated here [http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d110/Jacqland/1203184444621.png], with also an uncanny prediction for the then-future.

Newo

May 21, 2009
This was an enjoyable read as I'm a big LOZ fan but I must say I don't agree fully with it.
I know we all thought Shiek was a guy but thats because of the sterotypical princesses are helpless idea but LOZ games tend to ignore that. I know Zelda got kidnapped after she revieled herself but that's because she's wisdom and therefore not as powerful as Ganon but yet she still helped you before she got kidnapped. Also in WW, Zelda directly helps you defeat Gannon and seen from the cutscene in TP she also puts up a fight. These last two examples show Zelda in her princess form, not her Shiek/"male" form, so i must disagree with the idea that just because Zelda is more agressive than most princesses that she's suddenly transgender.

Also the line "What fun is a princess who saves herself?", it's not so much that you do it to save Zelda, you save Zelda to save Hyrule but if she could save herself you could then team up and destory Gannon...

Sorry about the length...

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
Sheik is a chick a kick ass chick but still female
it's also should be noticed that in TP she is devoid of pink and waering boots
Nintendo also created bad ass chick #1 Samus Aran

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
"Zelda-as-Sheik is free to wage a covert war against the forces of evil. During this time, it is Sheik, not Link, who is the hero of the tale."

I like that. Does that mean that we'll get to see a game that portrays Sheik's adventures whilst Link is asleep? I think that has great potential. At least it would reinvent the whole LoZ formula

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Meh, there are plenty of gamer heros who are also women these days.

The problem is that Zelda is a refugee from the age of Gaming when you were supposed to play the stalwhart hero of the land, and rescue the damsel in distress, because you're a Hero. The same problem with Mario.

Remember all the exitement in the first Metroid game when we find out that 'ZOMG, Samus is a Girl!' Now a days, there's usually enough female support characters that nobody really gives a shit anymore.

Unless you're playing a JRPG, in which case it's better not to look too closely into the characters' sexes (they certainly don't, being pre-teens)

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
Worst piece of dull garbage I've read on the Escapist yet.

Critical Research Failure.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
While it was an interesting read, your looking too deeply for something that isn't there. (In OoT anyways) To Nintendo Shiek is simply Zelda in disguise. While I understand your overall point, I seriously doubt Nintendo set out to make Shiek some sort of transgender character just so they could have her fill the role she does in the game. I can imagine their line of thinking was more of "oh lets do this cool plot twist" then "lets send a message about transgenders, male, and female archetypes".

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
This was an interesting read but this kinda looking more deeply about Zelda being a transgender person.

To me, Shiek is Zelda in disguise. The same goes for the Wind Waker when she was Tetra.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Tharticus said:
This was an interesting read but this kinda looking more deeply about Zelda being a transgender person.

To me, Shiek is Zelda in disguise. The same goes for the Wind Waker when she was Tetra.
I agree, i like how you pointed out the classic princess formula and showed how characters like shiek could reinvision it but, i really dont think Nintendo thought shiek's character would go farther than being a cool plot twist.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Pretty flowery prose. But it'd have been nice if you'd explored the issue of androgyny across a variety of games rather than confining the review to LOZ. You made some astute observations, but as it stand, they can't really apply much to anything else, since the whole "damsel in distress" archetype has become much more of a non-issue in recent years.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
I'm not sure when they drew up Sheik they imagined Zelda as transgendered. I think the artists were either simply trying to hide the fact that it was Zelda, or maybe Sheik was originally supposed to be male and halfway through development they changed their minds and decided making Sheik into Zelda was better.

Old traditions die hard, but they do eventually die and I think we've progressed fairly well with the women roles in games to add more variety. To me, as long as the gameplay and story are decent, it doesn't matter who needs saving. I would equally enjoy a game where a super hero was captured and a Goonies style group of kids had to combine all of their kid ingenuity to save him or a typical man saves woman pulp if the game and story were well polished.

JakobBloch

Apr 7, 2008
Bigeyez said:
While it was an interesting read, your looking too deeply for something that isn't there. (In OoT anyways) To Nintendo Shiek is simply Zelda in disguise. While I understand your overall point, I seriously doubt Nintendo set out to make Shiek some sort of transgender character just so they could have her fill the role she does in the game. I can imagine their line of thinking was more of "oh lets do this cool plot twist" then "lets send a message about transgenders, male, and female archetypes".
I am pretty sure that you are right in that the developers probably didn't want to make any kind of profound message about "damsels" and their place in fiction. But I think that Mr. Bain here illustrats that in fact that is exactly what they ended up doing. This is the case in many forms of both old and modern fiction. The creator may or may not have had lofty ideas put into his or her work intentionally but they end up there anyway. They become a reflection of the creator and and through their creation we can see the currents of thought and character in them. This is also why art is important to any culture that wishes to thrive.

/Jakob

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
Great article. I always liked Sheik because, like you said, she's the type of character who did break from the mold.

Another character who was like that, by which I mean she was never the damsel in distress, was Nariko from Heavenly Sword.

hyrulegaybar

Oct 6, 2009
Bigeyez said:
Well, regardless, the message is still sent. The simple fact of the matter is that Zelda can safely hide out as non-feminine Sheik, but she gets captured the moment she reveals herself to be her full feminine form.

I think it's always been an interesting proposition that Americans play games for a Japanese audience with their attitude and cultural perspective on gender roles and sexuality. For example, although there have been some progressive thinkers at Nintendo (for example, making Samus Aran female), there have still been some overtly sexist anti-feminist steps back (for example, the ability to play as Samus in a bikini).

Ytmh

Aug 29, 2009
I think it's funny that the article plays the "princess dresses differently to have a life outside of the confines of her palace!" plot as somehow making a point about gender issues. It's reading way too much into the material than is useful or even meaningful.

The deal with Zelda goes in the same direction of Samus' problem in that Zelda has to assume a different identity to actually do things that she may as well be able to do WITHOUT pretending to be a man/not herself. Samus' case was of course that the fact that people were surprised the guy in Metroid was actually a girl cemented the "Oh wow, girls don't really do that!" mentality. Otherwise, why even bother with the surprise to begin with? I mean nowadays it's a moot point considering everyone knows (and it gets milked for all the fan service possible, of course, just like you'd expect from a female game character.)

But then again, it seems to me the whole article is focusing on a particular franchise that has never been really that creative with gender roles to begin with. It would've been much more interesting to see more exposure to other games/characters and treatments of the same issues. However, I do think that the issues of gender are often nothing but caricatures whenever they're found in games. Yeah, maybe the topic can be alluded to or even show up directly, but doesn't mean it has any weight or consequence.

After all, for all the article talks about Sheik, she's nothing but Zelda's "cool sexy" mode now, much like Samus' zero suit nonsense. That is enough to signal how little point there is in trying to find any depth into that franchise or character when it comes to issues of gender and/or sexuality. Like I said before, even in OoT what they were doing was nothing new at all and actually an established plot with thousands of examples across all media.

If anything, we can use this article as an example that if people are overanalyzing something like this, trying to find the slightest hint of a mature topic to discuss it simply means that there's a general lack of maturity in the topics dealt with in the medium. This is of course nothing new and no surprise to anyone who sees the progression "to mainstream" of all these characters and franchises.

In that sense, expecting any games produced in that direction to deal with issues that require a certain level of intellectual maturity and cultural knowledge is hopeless. Maybe we'll see it as the culture in general becomes more accepting/open with the issues, but honestly I don't have all the time in the world to wait seeing that the real reason games are stuck so far behind is simply that artists/intellectuals/etc from other fields haven't really taken interest in the medium. I'm not talking about the gaming "industry," either, I'm talking about the medium in general. It can't mature if it's so completely isolated from the rest of the arts.

It's really an understatement to say that the medium as it is right now is in its infancy; I'd say it hasn't even technically been born. Not until it acknowledges the wealth of film/literature/music/etc around us in a meaningful and consequent way so that there is an exchange/flow of ideas will the medium attract people willing to take risks and make use the medium as a tool of expression. Only then, really, can we begin talking about the treatment of complex issues like gender identity or sexuality in games seriously, and not simply pretend that only because a game displays a set of breasts we have free pass into discussing sexuality in any depth while feeling intellectually smug that "our" medium is "mature," which I suspect is the general sentiment concerning efforts like this.

Further reading concerning the actual trope behind Sheik I mentioned at the start (and she's even mentioned there!) http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RebelliousPrincess

Yep, that's all there really is to it.

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
piscian said:
insanelich said:
Worst piece of dull garbage I've read on the Escapist yet.

Critical Research Failure.
Explain.
"to be female is to be a captive", plus making gigantic leaps of speculation. Most likely putting more thought into it than Nintendo, seeing it's basically a rehash of the old damsel in distress.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
DRTJR said:
Sheik is a chick a kick ass chick but still female
it's also should be noticed that in TP she is devoid of pink and waering boots
Nintendo also created bad ass chick #1 Samus Aran
he got a point

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
You play Shiek in orcharina of time?

I'm confused, is that the case?

I wanna play Sheik.

<-----has little experience with nintendo games.

As for the article, great read.

I'm kinda the same, an effeminate kind of guy. lol