EA Trademarks The Ripper

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Trademarks The Ripper

Electronic Arts [http://www.ea.com] has filed two trademarks for "The Ripper," seemingly confirming a rumor that surfaced earlier this year that Visceral's next game would be based on the infamous London serial killer.

The Dante's Inferno [http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=77838073], which is slated for release in early 2010.

Assuming that the report is accurate and that the game won't be based on some other, less famous "Ripper," I have to wonder exactly how EA is going to pull this off. Are we going to be Jack? That seems unlikely; putting players into the shoes of history's most famous homicidal maniac is an iffy proposition at best and even if EA was willing to push that envelope, Jack is credited with killing less than a dozen people - some say as few as five - and in most games I rack up that sort of body count just walking into a room.

An adventure game would seem more appropriate, but I don't see that as something Visceral would take on. Something else entirely, then? Perhaps Jack is not a person but a wicked spirit of murder that's threatening to rise again and the player, as some sort of Supernatural [http://www.cwtv.com/shows/supernatural]-esque ghost hunter, must battle through the mean streets of modern London to put it down for good.

Or something like that. Who knows? We've dropped a line to EA asking if they'd like to throw some real answers our way and if they actually get back to us, we'll let you know.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/06/ea-trademarks-the-ripper-could-be-viscerals-next-game/]

lee1287

Apr 7, 2009
hmm... adventure game AS jack the ripper? harharharr..

and that picture annoys me, Damn hippies.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Interesting, I like how EA is pushing different things. I like this new EA, can we keep him? Pwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaassssse?

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Malygris said:
Assuming that the report is accurate and that the game won't be based on some other, less famous "Ripper,"...
Is that a Rupert Giles reference I see there? They really never did say why that was his nickname...
EDIT: Though I am assuming the "ripper" you're talking about is the dude in the picture...

So a game about Jack the Ripper. If they have you play as him, I can only imagine the GTA-esque controversy the game will bring. Which means it'll sell like hotcakes. And who knows? Maybe it'll be fun :p

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Yay, one of the less celebrated British celebrities!
ha, this is how crazy they can get... I can feel it coursing through my blood... hehehe...
Hell, at least if I play a game like that I don't need to clean up afterwards.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
We have a lot of Rippers in England. We name Rippers in between invasions of France and elevenses.

KazCos

Oct 1, 2008
For a minute there I thought EA were remaking the FMV point and click game "Ripper" that starred Christopher Walken

Marvel at his incredible acting! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFKylgGk73I&feature=player_embedded

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Jumplion said:
Interesting, I like how EA is pushing different things. I like this new EA, can we keep him? Pwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaassssse?
maybe they're realizing that doing the same title over and over isn't a good thing, cause i remember when EA was a sequel machine, so maybe they've learned their lesson

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
KazCos said:
For a minute there I thought EA were remaking the FMV point and click game "Ripper" that starred Christopher Walken

Marvel at his incredible acting! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFKylgGk73I&feature=player_embedded
Curses, you beat me to it!
Yeah, there was an FMV adventure game of the same name. If you want to see more check out the play-through on The Spoony Experiment. Bad acting, needlessly complicated puzzles and swapping discs: the power of 90's gaming!

ladymatsuya

Jul 27, 2009
KazCos said:
Haha, yes! I thought the same exact thing. I totally would buy a remake of that. Actually, I'd buy anything with Walken in it. =P

Museli

Nin!
Aug 12, 2009
It's clearly a game about the creation of the Judas Preist song The Ripper:

'You're in for surpriiiiiiseee, you're in for a shock! (Press X to scream ridiculously).

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
KazCos said:

I thought the exact same thing when I saw the title of this thread.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
Malygris said:
Assuming that the report is accurate and that the game won't be based on some other, less famous "Ripper,"...
So a game about Jack the Ripper.

If they have you play as him, I can only imagine the GTA-esque controversy the game will bring. Which means it'll sell like hotcakes. And who knows? Maybe it'll be fun :p
I have a bad feeling about this.

If this is really a game about playing AS The Ripper or an ally of the Ripper, assuming we're referring to Jack The Ripper of course, Jack Thompson and his cretins are going to have a field day.

If it's not about playing as Jack- the serial killer, not the insane lawyer- then EA will be safe. But all the same...I hope this doesn't turn out badly.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
The_Oracle said:
ZeroMachine said:
Malygris said:
So a game about Jack the Ripper.

If they have you play as him, I can only imagine the GTA-esque controversy the game will bring. Which means it'll sell like hotcakes. And who knows? Maybe it'll be fun :p
I have a bad feeling about this.

If this is really a game about playing AS The Ripper or an ally of the Ripper, assuming we're referring to Jack The Ripper of course, Jack Thompson and his cretins are going to have a field day.

If it's not about playing as Jack- the serial killer, not the insane lawyer- then EA will be safe. But all the same...I hope this doesn't turn out badly.
Naw, no one will give a crap as long as you don't have visible sex with the prositutes before you kill them.

If they show the sex, expect so much RRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEE from the crazy lawyer, Clinton and Fox News.

minoes

Aug 28, 2008
Stubee said:
DVD Ripper?
I can see a lot of potential in this one.

But how is this news? I mean Viseral hasn´t even released their God of War "inspired" game yet, so who cares about what are they going to do next.