"Epic Mickey" May Not be Wii Exclusive After All

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
"Epic Mickey" May Not be Wii Exclusive After All

Alterations to the Game Informer story about Warren Spector's "Epic Mickey" project suggest that the title may not be exclusive to Nintendo's Wii as previously reported.

In case you were asleep earlier this week: Monday, we concrete details emerge [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95209-More-Details-About-Epic-Mickey-in-November-Issue-of-Game-Informer]. Overall, the game's reception amongst gamers tended to fall somewhere between "Hella Cool" and "F'ing AWESOME" with the one caveat being the title's apparent exclusivity toward the Wii (apparently, gamers don't like the Wii at all or something).

While all the previous information and rumors pegged the title as a Wii exclusive - as did yesterday's source "close to Disney" - information about the platform is Wired visitors [http://gameinformer.com/mag/mickey.aspx] pointed out that this was not always the case:

"Update: Many commenters point out that the story, as originally published, did indeed say that the game was a Wii exclusive, although this has been scrubbed from the version currently online. You can't unring a bell, and you can't erase the Internet."

As we learned yesterday, the Wii was chosen for its ability to mimic the painting techniques Mickey Mouse will be using in his adventure - but with Sony and Microsoft preparing their own motion-control equipment, it seems odd to exclude the other two consoles entirely.

Of course, it's entirely possible that this will remain a Wii exclusive, and people are making much ado about nothing (as happens every now and then on the internet), but it's still intriguing to wonder. You have to imagine that the text was taken down for a reason, after all... no?

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Fingering painting using Project Natal! Finally, an application I can get on board with! I need practice!

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Now thát'd be an awesome introduction game for Natal, unlike that strange pedo training simulation, as Mister Thompson would call it, called Milo.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Considering Disney's tendency to be a money hungry giant, even more so than most game companies, I found it odd they would limit their title to one platform.

Maybe they're planning ports?

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
That would be cool. I don't have a Wii so I wouldn't have gotten it if it was a Wii exlclusive. (Duh.)

If they do release it for the 360 or PS3 I might get it.

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
Oh well. More power (and money) to Disney and Mr. Spector, then. The game will still most likely be awesome. Of course, this is coming from a guy who is interested in a Disney version of Streets of Rage (Imagine Goofy beating down Mr. X. You may see what I mean.).

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo why not keep it on the wii it needs exclusives that are not mini games and are not made by nintendo. nintendo has always been there for Disney kingdom hearts for ds and gba for example, or chip and dale rescue rangers.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Marq said:
Well, it's not like Metal Gear or Final Fantasy with an established, ongoing association and loyalty to one console.......
Yeah I noticed how Final Fantasy is only on the NES/SNES/PSX/PS2/GAMECUBE/WII/GBA/DS. Damn them for only putting their stuff on sonintendoy. ;)

As for MGS...less extreme but still BOTH sony and nintendo. I believe we have NES/PSX/PS2/GAMECUBE/PS3 for MGS.

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
That's weird, this page [http://gameinformer.com/games/disney_epic_mickey/b/wii/default.aspx] says it's still a Wii-title only. Of course, it also says it will be released on January 1st, 0001 A.D., but there's still some doubt as to if it's going to be multiplat.

And I'm not too worried about this title getting ported to other systems. Everything we've heard and seen of this game so far indicates that it is being built specifically with the Wii in mind, so even if it does get ported, there likely won't be any huge differences between each version.

And as to why the text was taken down, it could be because Disney/Junction Point didn't want that to be known just yet. If that's the case, then oops, too late?

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
zombie711 said:
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo why not keep it on the wii it needs exclusives that are not mini games and are not made by nintendo. nintendo has always been there for Disney kingdom hearts for ds and gba for example, or chip and dale rescue rangers.
That wouldn't do much good, it's not like Nintendo will lose money if it's a Wii exclusive. Besides, this is DISNEY they dig the money thing. And from your reaction I assume you have a Wii.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
SilverHammerMan said:
zombie711 said:
That wouldn't do much good, it's not like Nintendo will lose money if it's a Wii exclusive. Besides, this is DISNEY they dig the money thing. And from your reaction I assume you have a Wii.
yes i do have a wii and its hard to see multi platform reviewer who favor the wii so this was a nice little treat to see a hyped game turn out to be on the wii, and disney doesnt alwasys make games multiplatform just for money, look at spectrobes or PURE.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Why the hell is everybody forgetting about the platform that had(2d, unless you count the mousewheel) motion tracking before anybody even thought about the Xbox, PS2 or GC?

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
It's not that I don't like the Wii as a console, but I was also saddened at the thought that this game would be a Wii exclusive. Don't get me wrong, though, I like the system and there are several good games on it - not to mention the virtual console that I would shamelessly abuse - it's just that I don't own one. I'm also not going to any time soon because I'm saving for a Ps3.

I would absolutely love this game to come to 360 and Ps3 because then I could play it.

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
If it will be for other consoles then that would make me be more interested in it. I already thought the concept was cool but I'll stay more updated on it if it's not going to be Wii exclusive.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
*crosses fingers in hopes of a non-Wii exclusive* You know, legend has it every time someone says "I don't believe that Wii's exist" a Wii poofs out of of existence, if this is said enough times its rumored the Wii will disappear from history.

I better get started to prevent this from being a Wii exclusive.

I don't believe that Wii's exist..
I don't believe....