Easy Achievements Can Boost Game Sales, Says Gearbox Boss

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Easy Achievements Can Boost Game Sales, Says Gearbox Boss

Gearbox [http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/] big cheese Randy Pitchford says game makers can increase their sales by tens of thousands of copies just by tossing in some easy Achievements to attract the relentless Achievement Whore demographic.

It never occurred to me that Achievement whores could actually represent a discrete market demographic, nor that there might actually be gamers out there who base their purchasing decisions on how quickly a game will help them boost their Achievement scores. But I guess that's why Pitchford is calling the shots at Gearbox while I can't even get my dog to do what I want him to; he puts a lot more thought into this sort of thing that the average person.

"The Achievement hunter, who's going to make purchase decisions around the Achievements per minute ratio - he's probably buying ten to twenty titles a year, or at least playing that many. He's playing a lot. So he's a very frequent customer, and you want to be in that pile. That's just business," Pitchford said

"The time it takes [to include easy Achievements] is minimal, because you're designing Achievements anyway, and you can probably affect your sales by something like 10 and 40 thousand units," he continued. "If you're talking about a triple-A game selling between 1 and 2.5 million units. You're talking tens of thousands of units of impact there."

My first reaction when I read this was disbelief. Are there actually people who buy and play games just to ratchet up their Gamescore? After a moment of reflection, however, I was forced to conclude that he's almost certainly right. Badge Hunters [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/the-needles/5585-A-Dirty-Little-Secret]" user group.

So why aren't more games packed with easy Achievements? Pitchford said the problem is that Achievements are designed by, of all people, game designers. "Unfortunately most people in the industry don't think through it that much," he said. "You have designers designing achievements, and they're the worst."

Source: OXM [http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=14388]

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Malygris said:
It never occurred to me that Achievement whores could actually represent a discrete market demographic, nor that there might actually be gamers out there who base their purchasing decisions on how quickly a game will help them boost their Achievement scores.
Really? Why did you think everybody and their dog did it? Xbox's Achievements, PSN's Trophies, Steam's Achievements... Wii's... Erm... Wii's... Whatever the fuck...

They're, generally, stupidly easy to code, add a bit of "artificial but ultimately optional and thus forgivable" game length and, better yet, reward a gamer's behavior of playing the game. We're very simple minded creatures really. Even something as simple as a box of text saying "congratulations, you did something!" makes you feel slightly better about ourselves. "I achieved something!... Something stupidly easy and arbitrary perhaps! But I managed to do it!"

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
MorteSphere said:
That is a wonderful achievement. Now all we need is a "Ragequit" achievement.
I'm sorry but that already exists. Look under the achievement named "BarbeQueQ". [http://www.steamgames.com/tf2/pyro/]

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
That's actually a really good marketing idea. I know tons of people that will ask "How easy is it to get achievements?" to determine whether they buy it or not. I even rented some games for the achievements. I don't know why... there's something just entrancing about them.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
achievements never did it for me, I don't even pay attention to them. How long until they start treating gamers even MORE like retarded.

"dawww, you took your first steps in the game!"
"You just pushed the X button for the first time!"

Standby

Jul 24, 2008
Surely this has been mentioned before, i mean isn't it obvious?

How many copies of Avatar would have been sold if it weren't for the achievements?

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I figured it would have an impact on rentals but people paying 60 bucks for a game they don't like just for achievements is crazy. It happens alot but still.

I have also begun to notice a correlation between bad games and easy achievements. Now my theory isn't 100% yet but the base of it is most games with easy achievements are usually bad to begin with. I think the industry has already passed Pitchford. I hope he didn't give away thier trade secrets.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Nurb said:
achievements never did it for me, I don't even pay attention to them. How long until they start treating gamers even MORE like retarded.

"dawww, you took your first steps in the game!"
"You just pushed the X button for the first time!"
Well considering that immediate feedback is the most effective teaching method in the entirety of written human history I think they'll stick with it for quite some time.

Every organism is looking for the most immediate feedback it can get, often overlooking more effective tactics that return feedback at a much further along point.

I LOVE achievements (or Trophies where I tend to play) but I'm not a big fan of easy ones. Course on the other end of the spectrum I HATE the "Play the whole game without saving, continuing, getting shot, sneezing, or clicking R2" ones. Especially when there are 8 hours of gameplay between me and the end of the game.

Caliostro said:
Malygris said:
It never occurred to me that Achievement whores could actually represent a discrete market demographic, nor that there might actually be gamers out there who base their purchasing decisions on how quickly a game will help them boost their Achievement scores.
Really? Why did you think everybody and their dog did it? Xbox's Achievements, PSN's Trophies, Steam's Achievements... Wii's... Erm... Wii's... Whatever the fuck...

They're, generally, stupidly easy to code, add a bit of "artificial but ultimately optional and thus forgivable" game length and, better yet, reward a gamer's behavior of playing the game. We're very simple minded creatures really. Even something as simple as a box of text saying "congratulations, you did something!" makes you feel slightly better about ourselves. "I achieved something!... Something stupidly easy and arbitrary perhaps! But I managed to do it!"
Since I can't use codebreaker anymore for nextgen games it does help me want to play games more than once. Which means I might notice something positive about them I'd have otherwise missed.

The only reason I didn't play MGSIV twice is because of no trophies, which is a shame because I'd like to, I just don't like seeing nothing for my efforts.

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
Its sad but true. I know someone who bought a game (cant remember what it was) just because there was an achievement worth 370 points. After he got that, he hardly touched it again.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I'm still in disbelief that achievements sell games, the few achievement whores I know own those Blockbuster game membership and just rent games constantly instead of buying them. Buying games just for achievements is a stupid move if you can just rent them...guess that says something about achievement whores...

gtuil

Feb 11, 2009
I just play games I like and get achievements because it is a good feeling seeing that message pop up

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
I enjoy playing for for some of them, but when they are just too darn easy they sort of annoy me. I'm enjoying Prince of Persia in general, for instance, but you get like 60 points in achievements in the first minute of the game for following the required story path. Granted, others later in the game are much more fun and difficult to get but I felt oddly cheap after putting in the game.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
MetaKnight19 said:
Its sad but true. I know someone who bought a game (cant remember what it was) just because there was an achievement worth 370 points. After he got that, he hardly touched it again.
That's really sad.

I myself am an achievement whore BUT I will only chase the achievements in games that I actually like. I won't play a game if I don't like it just for easy achievements, but I will try to hunt down all the (single player) achievements in a game if I play the game. For me, it is something to do other than just blast through the game as quick as possible.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well achievements can be fun to some extent, but as you don't get anything for them in most cases I don't see the appeal, and oddly I do not think that real "Achievement Junkies" are as common as is being suggested.

In general achievements in Mass Effect (for example) do something in your next playthrough, easy achievement giving you a buff for additional playthroughs to make the game easier, especially on higher difficulty levels.

Blizzard allegedly plans to use their achievement system to reward dedicated Blizzard fans by making content availible in their games that can only be unlocked with a certain overall Blizzscore or achievements and accomplishments from other games.

While not tied to an achievement you can also see a trend similar to the above with Bioware's current ploy with Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2, and a set of armor obtained with one game that you can use in the other.

I suppose I might be proven wrong, but I think most "achievement junkies" that exist are looking for rentals (as mentioned) or very cheap games.

It should also be noted that there is an increasing divide in the achievement "community". I've found increasing numbers of people who used to care to some extent, but no longer do so because achievements have become so easy to get. Games like "Jumper" being horrendous games that have apparently seen serious rentals and used-resales because of how people can use it to pad their score.

Personally I only find achievements "noteworthy" when I am looking at someone who has played the same game that I have and I want to see what we've done comparitively. Thus as a result I chase SOME of them, but don't go out of my way for the most obtuse ones that simply are not fun (for me) to get. An achievement awarded for say grinding a million things pointlessly or waiting to be blessed by the RNG (Random Number Generator) is something I could care less about. Ditto for a lot of easter egg-hunt type things that don't provide an in-game reward equal to the annoyance in getting them.

Of course I speak for myself there, not the majority, but it also seems that the majority of gamers are like me.

As far as increasing the sales of a game by catering to achievement hunters, well again I think it will simply devaulue achievements to the point where you will see it alienating as many people who would formerly have been interested as it would attract.

Time will tell.

>>>----Therumancer--->

Xcelsior

Jun 3, 2009
I am an achievement whore, but I won't buy a game just because it will give me a bucket load of gamerscore within seconds of playing it. Albeit easy achievements make my GS look better, but I prefer achievements that actually require me to do something challenging...thus fulfilling the title of ACHIEVEMENT, imo obviously.

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
Look, I know there are people out there who like to hack systems just for the pleasure of subverting something, but let me clue the achievement hunters into something: If you are paying money expressly to boost an arbitrary number, you are the one being gamed.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Hah, I actually have a friend who bought the Avatar game to get the 1,000 easy points in it.
*sigh* People and their gamerscores.
I kind of do that on my PS3... I must have TROPHIES.
I fail.