Edge Returns to the App Store

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Edge Returns to the App Store

After months of legal wrangling interspersed with the odd bit of name-calling, Mobigame's [http://www.mobigame.net/] hit iPhone game Edge is once again available at the App Store and this time it looks like it's there to say.

The story should be familiar by now: Mobigame developed and released a game for the iPhone Edge that was popular enough to draw the attention of Dr. Tim Langdell, he of Edge Games [http://www.edgegames.com/] fame, who has a reputation for threatening litigation against anyone who might be infringing upon one of his many "Edge" trademarks. Langdell filed a complaint with Apple, which responded by pulling the game from the App Store pending a proper licensing arrangement; unlike Langdell's previous encounters, however, Mobigame was having none of it. The studio chose first to ignore him and then to fight, and in the end the whole thing pretty much blew up in Langdell's face.

Now, as the dust is settling, it looks like we're right back to where we started, with one rather big change: Edge is back on the App Store [http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=300896018&mt=8] but Langdell appears to be entirely out of the picture. "Mobigame is pleased to announce that the award winning game Edge By Mobigame is to be rereleased on the App Store after several months spent dealing with the unmerited and unjustifiable claims of the now discredited Tim Langdell and his related companies," Mobigame's David Papazian said in a statement.

Mobigame has maintained from day one that it was in the right regarding Langdell's allegations but it may be emboldened to crow about it a bit more by the fact that heavy hitter waded into the fray [http://www.ea.com], filing petitions in September to have several of Edge Games' trademarks voided. EA's timing, however, left the rather ironic appearance that its sudden willingness to take action was spurred largely by tiny Mobigame's success in fighting off Edge's threats.

"We remain convinced that we are and at all times were entitled to use the name 'Edge' and we are determined to continue our efforts to fight for that right and to support those who have been similarly affected," Papazian continued. "We would stress that we have not reached any settlement or compromised our position in any way and would like to say a big thank you to all those who have supported us."

Papazian also said that Mobigame's next release, Cross Fingers, will be officially announced soon.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
good for mobigames i say, they did nothing wrong and its nice to see them come out on top

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
that's pretty cool it's coming back

i don't even see how he can claim trademark over the name Edge at all, i was under the impression that it had to be in a certain font or logo format, if it was a common word

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Good. I don't have an Iphone, and don't intend to get one, but Edge strikes me as being a great game. I'm glad to see it back where it belongs.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Booze Zombie said:
Ha, ha, ha!

Score one for the nice guys!
Indeed, the courts seem to be letting Good and Justice prevail now. What happened? Jack Thompson gets disbarred, Activison effectively lose their battle against Double-Fine's Brutal Legend, and now this?

Woem

May 28, 2009
I wonder what all the attention the previous couple of months will do to the game's sale rates. Is there a way to see how many people are buying it?

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
And Cross Fingers will be injuncted for violating the trademark of Edge.

HE'LL FIND A REASON.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:

HE'LL FIND A REASON.
He can find a reason all he likes. He resigned, didn't he? He's like an impotent man shouting about how we should pay attention to his dangly bits.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:

HE'LL FIND A REASON.
yeah, that he had his fingers crossed he'd get his name plastered over the game and 20percent share.

Anyway, http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/mobigame-langdells-lawyers-have-fled

"In the end, Langdell never sued us for past sales and all his lawyers fled, which is enough to prove that he has absolutely no legal grounds and everyone knows that now," said Papazian.
Courtesy of Eurogamer, cheers guys!

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
Amnestic said:
TsunamiWombat said:

HE'LL FIND A REASON.
He can find a reason all he likes. He resigned, didn't he? He's like an impotent man shouting about how we should pay attention to his dangly bits.
It's good to see the small guy win, and I think his trademark, is quite stupid. Also, good comparison.

TwistedBishop

Feb 4, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
Ha, ha, ha!

How are Mobigames "the nice guys"? They broke the law and got away with it through manipulating the kangaroo court of public opinion. Pretty sure that makes them the definition of "the bad guys". In this case the Jack Thompsons have won.

jebbo

Jul 17, 2009
TwistedBishop said:
Booze Zombie said:
Ha, ha, ha!

How are Mobigames "the nice guys"? They broke the law and got away with it through manipulating the kangaroo court of public opinion. Pretty sure that makes them the definition of "the bad guys". In this case the Jack Thompsons have won.
You sir, are a total penis of the largest, dangliest, most shameful posted next to a child in a failblog image, douche of the highest degree

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
Amnestic said:
TsunamiWombat said:

HE'LL FIND A REASON.
He resigned from the international game developers legue or whatever its called. Not edge games

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
Here is a pretty halarious youtube video that deals with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=46Tz3jwKeaM

WARNING: Contains bad language.

Mekado

Mar 20, 2009
TwistedBishop said:
Booze Zombie said:
Ha, ha, ha!

"They broke the law" So you think the "edge" trademark is a valid one ?

...seriously ?