World of Warcraft Finally Classified in Australia

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
World of Warcraft Finally Classified in Australia

It took them awhile to get around to it, but Australia's Classification Board has finally issued a rating for World of Warcraft [http://www.worldofwarcraft.com], Blizzard's megahit MMOG that was released in 2004.

You didn't even know this was an issue, did you? Amazingly, in classification-happy Australia, the most popular videogame in history has never actually been classified, floating along instead in a kind of limbo in which everyone apparently just pretended not to notice it was there. A report in June that Australia was planning to begin filtering websites that offered game content beyond the MA15+ rating brought to light the fact that MMOGs had an "exemption" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92669-Australia-Set-to-Begin-Filtering-Online-Games] from the rating system, although how or why that exemption came about was never made clear.

But it doesn't matter now, because the Classification Board has finally decided that it likes the game, so it's going to put a sticker on it. The board issued a classification [http://www.classification.gov.au/www/cob/find.nsf/d853f429dd038ae1ca25759b0003557c/0760874461446ecfca25764a0010c8a8!OpenDocument] for World of Warcraft, The Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King yesterday, giving all three games an M rating (recommended for mature audiences) for "fantasy violence" and variable online content.

A Gamespot [http://www.blizzard.com] that it has been working at getting this business wrapped up for quite awhile now, but the Australian system just wasn't equipped to handle online games. "Back in 2004, we were advised by the Office of Film and Literature Classification (OFLC) that the online-only nature of World of Warcraft was unclassifiable under its definition of computer games at that time," he said. "Recent changes at the Classification Board have led to their ability to classify online only games such as World of Warcraft."

The board declined to comment on what those changes might be, however, saying only that it "has been following developments in online gaming."

What could have suddenly "developed" in a half-decade-old MMOG is completely beyond me but a search of the Classification Board database indicates that this may not be a matter of evolving standards so much as sheer randomness. Despite the suggestion that something has changed in the rules, the Classification Board issued a rating for the MMOG World War 2 Online all the way back in 2001. Star Wars Galaxies was rated in 2006, while the Eighth Anniversary edition of Ultima Online was classified in 2005. Other MMOGs, meanwhile, like Age of Conan, Warhammer Online and Planetside, remain unclassified. That's not exactly what I'd call a cohesive and functional rating process at work.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
.......So..... did anything change then? If Yahtzee was able to play WoW then clearly it wasn't banned there before now..

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
So wait, Does this mean that for the last 5 years people in Australia could not get/play this game cos of its lack of classification? Because that sounds like something Blizz would have been pushing for the Australia Classification Board to do, as they are a bit short on cast at the mo and thous extra few subscribers would really help them out

-M

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
Malygris said:
What could have suddenly "developed" in a half-decade-old MMOG is completely beyond me but a search of the Classification Board database indicates that this may not be a matter of evolving standards so much as sheer randomness. Despite the suggestion that something has changed in the rules, the Classification Board issued a rating for the MMOG World War 2 Online all the way back in 2001. Star Wars Galaxies was rated in 2006, while the Eighth Anniversary edition of Ultima Online was classified in 2005. Other MMOGs, meanwhile, like Age of Conan, Warhammer Online and Planetside, remain unclassified. That's not exactly what I'd call a cohesive and functional rating process at work.
Way to call them on their bullshit, Malygris. ;-)

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
"A Blizzard rep told Gamespot that it has been working at getting this business wrapped up for quite awhile now, but the Australian system just wasn't equipped to handle online games"

Is it just me or is the Australian censorship system not equipped to handle any games? They seem to ban anything with the slightest inclination of ..content. Any content.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
If I'm correct then an "M" is equivalent to an 18 here in Britain... Is this really right?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
zagzag said:
If I'm correct then an "M" is equivalent to an 18 here in Britain... Is this really right?
No, "M" is actually one step down from "MA15+". I believe that MA15+ cannot legally be sold to anyone under 15, while M games are more, "You probably shouldn't be playing this but we'll leave it up to your parents to decide." Unfortunately, I can't say for sure because the Classification Board website pukes out with a 404 error if you try to access information on what any of the ratings actually mean.

Psychemaster

Everything in Moderation
Aug 18, 2008
Malygris said:
Expect nothing less from Australia, they're well known for being douchebags about the games industry.

Crossborder

Oct 16, 2008
Wait, What? WoW wasn't classified? Why didn't i hear? Does this make any difference to people in Australia?

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Yay. Now Austrailia can become "addicted" to WoW like half the US.
OT: We're one step closer to completely undermining the entire Austrailian PC regime. PC is so freaking useless...

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
I propose we just hire an assassin to get rid of Michael Atkinson to put an end to this madness.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
oppp7 said:
America only has a population of around 6 million? I've been lied to for so long!

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
yourbeliefs said:
.......So..... did anything change then? If Yahtzee was able to play WoW then clearly it wasn't banned there before now..
He might have played it before moving to the land of down under from our Glorious (and wet) land.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Amnestic said:
oppp7 said:
America only has a population of around 6 million? I've been lied to for so long!
Its all a conspiracy by the government. Of course ;)

Cind

Aug 17, 2009
Smells like "let's all laugh at Australia again" in here.

Not appreciated. I say one thing about American politics and i'll get torn to shreds, but it's ok to pay out the Aussies, cos we Australians all think everything is a joke, right?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Cind said:
Smells like "let's all laugh at Australia again" in here.

Not appreciated. I say one thing about American politics and i'll get torn to shreds, but it's ok to pay out the Aussies, cos we Australians all think everything is a joke, right?
Apparently you haven't checked out the Modern Warfare 2 CSM thread. Feel free to say things about American politics - in their proper thread. Considering how many people who aren't American browse these forums, you may find yourself with more people agreeing with you than you might think. Of course people are going to make comments about Australians in a thread about Australia's gaming classification :p

/Go on, insult Britain's politics.
//I'll one up you on that topic.
///Gordon Brown looks like his face is made out of a scrotum.