Anime Review: Big Windup!

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Anime Review: Big Windup!

Big Windup! is a tremendously good watch, even if you don't like baseball.

Read Full Article

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
Hum, I'm not a fan of baseball myself. lol, I even don't know the rules or even how to call the name of the positions.
But I admit your review makes me want to take peek on it. Even if it's just to see if it catches me.

Also, it's not a true anime if the characters doesn't have a name for their "attacks" such as Super-Amazing-Cobra-Twist-Throw!!! *screen flashes in multiple colors*

James Henley honestly found Big Windup! to be more entertaining than any real baseball game he's watched.
This is true to most sports animes imo. :p
Prince of Tennis anyone?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
For the record, I'm in the exact same boat here. I'm not a big baseball fan, but I absolutely loved this show.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Aedes said:
Also, it's not a true anime if the characters doesn't have a name for their "attacks" such as Super-Amazing-Cobra-Twist-Throw!!! *screen flashes in multiple colors*
Hey, Ren has names for his attacks; names such as screwball, or curveball. Oh yeah, and fastball. 0=)

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
RollForInitiative said:
Aedes said:
Hey, Ren has names for his attacks; names such as screwball, or curveball. Oh yeah, and fastball. 0=)
I feel no passion on this names. They're too simple and heartless! But it's a start nonetheless.

I want to finish with this random comment:
Try to catch this ball!
o/ =º

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
In the prince of tennis, there was a shot that literally went back in time, created the universe, became a meteor, killed the dinosaurs, and finally came back to reality and scored the point.

I Fail to see how that couldn't be parody.

I also fail to see how I could watch any sports anime without it. :|

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
vivaldiscool said:
I also fail to see how I could watch any sports anime without it. :|
I suppose this is proof positive that tastes can differ so vastly. That's precisely what I dislike about most sports anime; the fact that they're little more than shonen fighting shows with a sports paint job.

eclipsed_chemistry

Dec 9, 2009
This series is incredible. I'm a huge baseball fan and I was kind of hesitant to watch this because (being an anime) I worried that this would make a sham of baseball or have stupid supernatural elements like the main character being able to throw a 200 mph fastball or have a curveball that breaks 50 feet but after reading this review, I was very excited to see that they treated the game very respectfully and (for the most part) the characters are likable and believable as baseball players.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the story because I'm a former pitcher who lost his confidence on the mound and I know going through that is a nightmare-and-a-half. I never had a catcher like Takaya Abe, but maybe if I did, I'd still be on the mound today. Big thumbs up for this series.

DuplicateValue

Jun 25, 2009
Only 8 comments? More people need to know about this.

The review is absolutely spot on - I hate anything to do with sports, but this quickly took up it's place as my favourite anime that I've ever seen.

Even though Mihashi is painful to watch on occassion, there's not a bad word I can say about this show. I discovered it last summer and became slightly obsessed.

I love how after two series, you find you understand the rules of the game, despite never having watched a match in your life. I would whole-heartedly recommend it to any anime fan, especially if sports animes are something you would usually avoid.