Is the Large Hadron Collider Already Doomed by Fate?

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Is the Large Hadron Collider Already Doomed by Fate?

A mind-blowing theory from two distinguished physicists speculates that the Large Hadron Collider may have been doomed from the beginning due to its very function.

The testing of hyperdrive theories [http://public.web.cern.ch/public/en/LHC/LHC-en.html]. One primary focus of the giant machine has been the discovery of the Higgs Boson particle, an as of yet unobserved quantum component that is said to give mass to all particles, including itself. Holger Bech Nielsen, of the Niels Bohr Institute in Copenhagen, and Masao Ninomiya of the Yukawa Institute for Theoretical Physics in Kyoto, Japan, have theorized that the LHC could be doomed because of the possibility that it might actually create a Higgs Boson, which is rippling backwards through time to stop itself from ever occurring.

Just when you thought this business with the LHC couldn't get any weirder/cooler, now we've thrown a little time travel into the mix. Before you write this theory off, keep in mind that many physicists believe the laws of physics are reversible. Einstein himself has said "For those of us who believe in physics, this separation between past, present and future is only an illusion."

For an example that is easy to understand, some physicists agree that going back in time to kill your grandfather is impossible, but going back to save your grandfather's life is not. This situation with the LHC is like going back to save your grandfather; the Higgs Boson particle could be so "abhorrent to nature" that it is stopping its own creation. In other words, the LHC is doomed by its future.

Dr. Nielsen and Dr. Ninomiya came up with their theory before the LHC's failure over a year ago, so they're not simply whipping out a bunch of hoopla after the fact. They further point out the failure of the U.S.'s multi-billion dollar Superconducting Supercollider, also created to find the Higgs Boson, that was shuttered in 1993. Dr. Nielson presumes: "Well, one could even almost say that we have a model for God ... that He rather hates Higgs particles, and attempts to avoid them." The LHC is expected to be up and running again in December; if it fails expect a smirk on at least two dudes' faces.

Finally, if Dr. Nielsen and Dr. Ninomiya's theory is correct, it could also explain why the DeLorean DMC-12 failed despite its sleek stainless steel body and awesome gull-wing doors. Clearly, we are not meant to go 88 miles per hour, leaving tire tracks of flame in our wake.

Source: NYTimes [http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/13/science/space/13lhc.html]

Feb 13, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Dr. Nielson presumes: "Well, one could even almost say that we have a model for God ... that He rather hates Higgs particles, and attempts to avoid them."
I am so passing this on to every atheist I know. :) What a stupendous idea!

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Haven't had my first car yet, I'm holding out for a DeLorean.

That is totally on topic.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
I hate time travel theories. They're always so bloody confusing! I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad about this news. I just don't know anymore...

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
It couldn't be because this is a gigantic machine with thousands (millions?) of custom parts that have never been used for any other purpose, to perform theoretical physics on a level never attempted before. And that science is hard.

No, it's because God hates people trying to find their birthday presents early, and he's subtly sabotaging our Science.

Also, the manufacturing molds for parts of the Delorean were made lost or otherwise unavailable years ago if I recall correctly. Even the "new" overpriced ones that are apparently in the works are mostly made up of old parts. :(

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
interesting and nice to read some news about danes, but i fail to see why this is on a gaming site?, ive read allot of weird news on this site but they always, somehow, had something to do whit gaming.

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
time travel is such bull~ face it if time travel is possible and it would be operational in the future.. some new hitler wannabe would go back in time to our present to take over the earth before it gets good weapons >.> and since that isnt happening at the moment id say no one ever made a working time portal in the future ... good day sirs~

100th post..wooo~

7ru7h

Jul 8, 2009
Kross said:
It couldn't be because this is a gigantic machine with thousands (millions?) of custom parts that have never been used for any other purpose, to perform theoretical physics on a level never attempted before. And that science is hard.

No, it's because God hates people trying to find their birthday presents early, and he's subtly sabotaging our Science.
Of course God is sabotaging science, because having never-before-done science be hard just wouldn't make any sense...

phoenix352 said:
time travel is such bull~ face it if time travel is possible and it would be operational in the future.. some new hitler wannabe would go back in time to our present to take over the earth before it gets good weapons >.> and since that isnt happening at the moment id say no one ever made a working time portal in the future ... good day sirs~

100th post..wooo~
Well, the way I understand it, you can't go back in time and do something to change the future (i.e. killing your grandfather), but you can go back and do something that will keep the future the same (i.e. saving him). So, no one could become a new Hitler, but for all we know, Hitler was killed by TimeAgents!

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
7ru7h said:
Kross said:

Of course God is sabotaging science, because having never-before-done science be hard just wouldn't make any sense...

phoenix352 said:
time travel is such bull~ face it if time travel is possible and it would be operational in the future.. some new hitler wannabe

would go back in time to our present to take over the earth before it gets good weapons >.> and since that isnt happening at the moment id say no one ever made a working time portal in the future ... good day sirs~

100th post..wooo~
Well, the way I understand it, you can't go back in time and do something to change the future (i.e. killing your grandfather), but you can go back and do something that will keep the future the same (i.e. saving him). So, no one could become a new Hitler, but for all we know, Hitler was killed by TimeAgents!
yes and we have a battle of little bighorn survivor mute using high tech weaponry watching over us..... >.>

tell me this if you can comeback to save some one how would that be saving the future as i see it if you come from a future that your grandfather died in , saving his life when you comeback would change your future possibly for the worse... self correcting time travel thing would just be pointless because it would change the time stream every single time it corrects something creating multiple realities of that incident.

The Zango

Resident stoner and Yognaught
Apr 30, 2009
phoenix352 said:
time travel is such bull~ face it if time travel is possible and it would be operational in the future.. some new hitler wannabe

would go back in time to our present to take over the earth before it gets good weapons >.> and since that isnt happening at the moment id say no one ever made a working time portal in the future ... good day sirs~

100th post..wooo~
[quote}Well, the way I understand it, you can't go back in time and do something to change the future (i.e. killing your grandfather), but you can go back and do something that will keep the future the same (i.e. saving him). So, no one could become a new Hitler, but for all we know, Hitler was killed by TimeAgents![/quote]

The above is meant to be a quote but it messed up.

Was that a refference to Strontium dog, i wonder? AND I guess i'd find that theory quite cool if i understood it.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Amnestic said:
I hate time travel theories. They're always so bloody confusing! I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad about this news. I just don't know anymore...
When you travel back in time, don't do anything! Unless you were of course supposed to do it, in which case for the love of god don't not do it!

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
well i still think it would be a paradox or at least it would bend time a bit and change when we found the particle itself, so really it's just slowing down it's discovery

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
TheSkaAssassin said:
I was always looking for an excuse to get a DeLorean. Now I have one.
D4zZ said:
Haven't had my first car yet, I'm holding out for a DeLorean.That is totally on topic.
Just don't travel with Doc [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN0WBv0Omgs].

OT: So, God hates science? I knew it!

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Kross said:

Dude, don't ruin the secret of the Universe for everyone.
Also, the manufacturing molds for parts of the Delorean were made lost or otherwise unavailable years ago if I recall correctly. Even the "new" overpriced ones that are apparently in the works are mostly made up of old parts. :(
Yeah, there are apparently warehouses with unused DeLorean parts and the "new" DeLoreans are actually made out of these old, unused parts.

phoenix352 said:
time travel is such bull~ face it if time travel is possible and it would be operational in the future.. some new Hitler wannabe would go back in time to our present to take over the earth before it gets good weapons >.> and since that isn't happening at the moment id say no one ever made a working time portal in the future ... good day sirs~

100,000,000,000,000,000th post..wooo~
Well, if the past was changed, we probably wouldn't know about it. There is also the theory that you can't time travel back beyond the point when time travel first became possible.

Ah, LHC, what you do for us nerds.