Brian May Says Queen: Rock Band "May Happen"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Brian May Says Queen: Rock Band "May Happen"

Rock Band [http://www.queenonline.com/home] and says discussions about making it happen are already underway.

With over 300 million albums sold worldwide, it's hard to argue that Queen isn't a hugely successful band. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, Queen albums have spent a combined 1322 weeks - that's 27 years - on the U.K album charts. The band's Greatest Hits has actually outsold the Beatles' classic Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band in the U.K. by well over a half-million copies.

In that light, then, a Queen-based Rock Band game doesn't seem so unlikely and May recently told the BBC [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8304176.stm] it could happen. Discussions about bringing the game to life are "going on behind the scenes," he said, adding, "Yes, we're into it. I think it may happen."

May is already on the verge of being immortalized in the digital realm: He's appearing in Lego Rock Band [http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/l/legorockband/], which comes out next month, and his enthusiasm for the genre is clear. "It's the ultimate accolade, to be portrayed in Lego," he said. "My dreams are all fulfilled now."

I like Queen but I have to admit that I'm not completely sold on this idea. May could probably speak more authoritatively on the matter than I (he's an astrophysicist with a Ph.D., after all, while I'm pretty much a high-school dropout) but is there really enough material, with enough wide-ranging appeal, to support a game similar to Guitar Hero: Van Halen [http://www.thebeatlesrockband.com/], maybe, but anything more than that seems like an awfully big reach.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
On the one hand, following up The Beatles: Rock Band with Queen: Rock Band is just plain silly.

On the other hand, if the idea of you and three of your friends harmoniously singing Bohemian Rhapsody doesn't appeal to you, something's wrong with you.

kotorfan04

Aug 7, 2009
Well as long as I get to finally play Bohemian Rhapsody (Gosh this guitar sounds an awful lot like a piano.) THen I will buy the game.

Feb 13, 2008
HardRockSamurai said:
On the other hand, if the idea of you and three of your friends screeching Bohemian Rhapsody while moshing doesn't appeal to you, something's wrong with you.
Fixed that for you.

Still, suck Freddie Mercury's legend dry much?
(OOps...perhaps a little unfortunate terminology)

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
Gah! I wish they wouldn't so this.

Just release the Queen songs as DLC for THE GAME THAT'S ALREADY OUT! I don't want to have the hassle of going out and getting a new disc and typing in loads of codes just to get the songs when I'm going to be playing the same game afterwards.

Feb 13, 2008
Who put this on?
It's on random.
Dianne, get Mum somewhere safe.
David, kill the Queen.

What?!
The jukebox!
How about pool?
*snap*
John, it's time at the bar.
I'm a shooting star, leaping through the sky like a tiger...

messy

Dec 3, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Who put this on?
It's on random.
Dianne, get Mum somewhere safe.
David, kill the Queen.

What?!
The jukebox!
How about pool?
*snap*
John, it's time at the bar.
I'm a shooting star, leaping through the sky like a tiger...
Gotta love Shaun of the dead.

Not sure if I'd get the whole game but the ability to recreate Bohemian Rhapsody is awfully tempting. Migh actually have people wanting to sing this time around, since I normally find on Rock Band etc. the karoke spot isn't that sought after.

Malygris said:
I like Queen but I have to admit that I'm not completely sold on this idea.
Not sure about international success but I can see this working very well in the UK

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Awesome!!!!

I love Queen. In my opinion they're better than the Beatles. I cannot wait to see this game. I hope they put The Prophet Song, Princes of the Universe (with appropriate Highlander graphics), and the Flash Theme. Plus, they have to end the game with their version of God Save the Queen.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Davey Woo said:
Gah! I wish they wouldn't so this.

Just release the Queen songs as DLC for THE GAME THAT'S ALREADY OUT! I don't want to have the hassle of going out and getting a new disc and typing in loads of codes just to get the songs when I'm going to be playing the same game afterwards.
Actually, there's a pack of 10 Queen songs coming out for Rock Band as DLC next week.

damselgaming

Feb 3, 2009
I am my fathers daughter, and therefore am a huge Queen fan. I'd love Inuenndo (in my opinion more epic than Bohemian Rhapsody), Princes of the Universe, Show Must Go On, Hammer to Fall- fuck it- ALL OF THEM.
And the game to come bundled with the Freddie Mercury mic stand.

Doggabone

May 11, 2007
The Rockerfly said:
Isn't this going to be a bit dull for anyone but a singer?
As a guitarist, I've been a fan of Brian May's work for a long time. He's one of the ones I "borrow" from - there's plenty of guitars, bass, and drums in Queen's material as well as vocals. That said, the songs get more vocal heavy the more recent they are, as a rule. But even then, Brian May was great at fitting his guitar into the group for a song - he's doing more than you think, because he's playing more like a member of an orchestra than a member of a rock band. Actually, some of the songs would be great for a few "guitarists" to play together, as Brian May often feature harmonised, multi-tracked guitars.

I can't attest to the bass and drums directly, but the band did a few songs at a Queen tribute night once, and the bass player, drummer and I all agreed that there was more going on with the instrument parts than you think when you hear the songs on the radio.

That said, I'd buy DLC before I bought a stand-alone Rock Band/Queen game. The Beatles tracks were fun to play, but I'd rather have the songs in RB2 than the ability to have multiple vocalists. Especially as it's a guitar/drums duo in my house. Queen DLC, YES! Queen stand-alone game, "meh".