Free-to-Play Relaunch of DDO Unlimited a Big Hit

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Free-to-Play Relaunch of DDO Unlimited a Big Hit

Turbine [http://www.ddo.com/] is "very happy" with the decision.

Turbine in early September [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92293-Dungeons-Dragons-Online-Going-Free-to-Play-UPDATED] and according to Paiz, things are going swimmingly.

"We're hitting and exceeding our internal targets, so far we're very happy," he said in an interview with Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/10/ddo-free-to-play.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss]. "All aspects of our business are growing. Hundreds of thousands of new players in the world are playing for free, with a very high percentage using the store."

Interestingly, subscriptions for the game (which remain available for fans who wanted unrestricted access to every part of the game) have apparently gone up 40 percent since it went free. It's obviously counter-intuitive but Paiz explained that gamers are more likely to spend their money when they're allowed to do so on their own terms.

"They get to try the game, not be constrained by a one-week trial, and then decide when they've made the commitment that they're engaged enough that they're ready to spend money," he said. "As you advance, more of the content is for purchase more than it's free. Not that there won't be free content in the higher levels... but still, if you're into the game and you're playing past level five or six, you're going to really start thinking about buying content packs, or saving up Turbine points to buy content packs."

Giving players that degree of control has other benefits for Turbine as well; because the game is free, it's easier for players to entice their friends into joining them online, while the elimination of the monthly subscription opens the door for players to actually spend more on the game. "We have a good chunk of the population that is spending more than $15 a month. The traditional subscription model can only make X dollars off a player. This kind of removes that cap," Paiz said.

Micropayments appear to be growing increasingly attractive to MMOG developers in North America and a successful rebirth of DDO Unlimited will almost certainly result in more studios considering a similar option for their own games. I don't know how it will hold up in the long term, especially as the free-to-play field becomes more and more crowded, but I do know this: I'll be trying it for myself in very short order.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
I may go back to DDO. I stopped playing a while back because it was such a pain to find a group for quests (and you need a group to do quests), but with a bigger player count, that might not be a problem anymore.

Time Travelling Toaster

The Toast with the 'Tache
Mar 1, 2009
UltimatheChosen said:
I may go back to DDO. I stopped playing a while back because it was such a pain to find a group for quests (and you need a group to do quests), but with a bigger player count, that might not be a problem anymore.
Quite a few Escapist play it now [sub]me included[/sub], so finding a group might be easier now. And it is a really good game, coming from someone who usually doesn't like MMO's.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
I started playing this recently(because its advertised here) and its pretty fun.

UltimatheChosen said:
You do not, there is a solo option on all the ones I have done so far.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
As soon as I get my new computer I'm gonna play this. I know a lot of people who I talk to on The Escapist play this game. It shall be fun.

RomanLegacy

May 6, 2009
Article said:
"We have a good chunk of the population that is spending more than $15 a month. The traditional subscription model can only make X dollars off a player. This kind of removes that cap," Paiz said.

Micropayments appear to be growing increasingly attractive to MMOG developers in North America and a successful rebirth of DDO Unlimited will almost certainly result in more studios considering a similar option for their own games.
I.E. Companies figure out how to make more money off gamers.

Frelorn

Mar 29, 2008
CosmicCommander said:
I'd love to play, but I get a bloody error code every time I try to make an account.
Hi there! Can you tell me what the error code is that you are getting?

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
Frelorn said:
Sure buddy, it begins with the code, or the error message is composed entirely of #FTx, and the rest of the message some/may not have a seemingly random series of numbers on the end.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
I have been an on-again-off-again DDOer for a long time, mostly because I'ma 28 year veteran of paper and pencil D&D, but I'm a terrible MMOer because I don't usually have the long blocks of time necessary to group (or the patience to deal with people once I have grouped!) so DDO was an awful fit for me, even though I prefer it over all the others.

Anyway, I went back and checked it out with the free option, and was sucked back in, mostly because they have, at last, made the game much more fun to solo or for small groups (i.e. my wife and myself with a couple henchmen). The henchmen work well, there are more solo options, and a lot more content has apparently been added since I last check it out. I mean...holy cow....I finally got my level 5 to level 7!!!!! (That's a huge accomplishment for me; keeping in mind it's taken me since Feb. 2005 to get one....ONE....character in WoW to level 76 and I've seen maybe 20% of the actual instance/end game stuff in that MMO).

So I don't know for sure if solo/small group activities are still supported at higher levels, but people tell me soloing these days gets easier at higher levels. Anyway, we'll see....

And yes, those bastards fgot me to resub as VIP and I STILL spent another $15 or so on top of that for damned extra Turbine Points. Insidious!

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
Delmar Wynn said:
Grouping is quite easy for sure now days. Also if you need the help, buy a henchman.
Seems i cant :(, and i just find the henchmen lifeless, like the dog wizards can summon.
Trying to convince my mates to play though as it is very good when you do get a group

Frelorn

Mar 29, 2008
CosmicCommander said:
Frelorn said:
Sure buddy, it begins with the code, or the error message is composed entirely of #FTx, and the rest of the message some/may not have a seemingly random series of numbers on the end.
Can you post a screenshot or copy/paste all the text? The more specific the information, the better. Thanks

CosmicCommander

Apr 11, 2009
Frelorn said:
Can you post a screenshot or copy/paste all the text? The more specific the information, the better. Thanks
I'd be happy to, I have a code here, it seems to change slightly every time I attempt to sign up, however:

#FTxOQQUO8OT

Frelorn

Mar 29, 2008
CosmicCommander said:
Frelorn said:
I'd be happy to, I have a code here, it seems to change slightly every time I attempt to sign up, however:

#FTxOQQUO8OT
Hmmm, that sounds like it could be an error related to your ISP. Can you tell me what ISP you are using?

CosmicCommander

Apr 11, 2009
Frelorn said:
Hmmm, that sounds like it could be an error related to your ISP. Can you tell me what ISP you are using?
I am with Virgin Media [http://allyours.virginmedia.com/].

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
wow help from Turbine representatives right in the Escapist. now thats customer support!

Psy-Q

Mar 7, 2009
Woohoo, so the Americans are slowly losing their fear of microtransactions :D

Welcome, you guys.