BioWare Would "Love to Revisit" Jade Empire

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioWare Would "Love to Revisit" Jade Empire

Jade Empire [http://dragonage.bioware.com/].

It's been more than four years since Jade Empire first turned up on the Xbox and while it may not have had the same impact as games like BioWare [http://nwn.bioware.com/] staffers and Laidlaw, the lead designer on the upcoming Dragon Age: Origins, recently said the company is interested in picking it up again at some point in the future.

"We haven't announced anything on Jade Empire 2 yet," he said when asked by Strategy Informer [Strategy Informer] about the possibility of a sequel. "It's pretty much no comment. But, you know, we will certainly announce it if it's going to be coming out."

"At this point, Jade Empire is a staff favorite and a lot of us love it, so we'd love to revisit it at some point," he added. "But right now, we are very focused on Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2."

More Jade Empire? Personally I'd rather see more Baldur's Gate [http://www.bioware.com/games/baldurs_gate/] but that's at least in part thanks to my bitterness over the fact that it took two years for the game to come to the PC. (Which is also my excuse for having not yet bought it.) What do you think? Is Jade Empire 2 a winner or just a pleasant nerd fantasy that will never come to pass?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I don't care if it's a fantasy or a possible thing, I WANT IT NOU!!!

Then again, they could just as well make Neverwinter Nights 3. Or Neverwinter Nights Online with Obsidian, but not let them screw up again.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009

I'd really like Bioware to come back to Jade Empire: the first one was good, but it was made a while back in Bioware's development history, and it pales in comparison to later fare they've produced such as Mass Effect. I'd like to see what the team can do with what they've learned over the years to one of their older franchises.

Resistance205

Jun 3, 2008
I still herald Jade Empire as one of my favorite games, it was one of the earliest RPG's I remember playing. I loved it then, and I love it now.

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
Yay! I like Mass Effect but Jade Empire had a better setting, and I prefer Kung-Fu fighting to shooting as a cmbat system anyway (although it could have been done better in the game).

Steve Dark

Oct 23, 2008
Screw Jade Empire, more Baldur's Gate!

Ahh... We are all heroes; you and Boo and I. Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I loved Jade Empire and would love to see a sequel!
Of course, I love every RPG Bioware has ever made. They really can't do wrong.
Heck, I still play Baldur's Gate. So much. All the time.
And I'm salivating for Dragon Age.

But I would very much be interested in a Jade Empire sequel!

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Baby Tea said:
They really can't do wrong.
So many times "This." I too still rock out in Baldur's Gate and Athkatla with some degree of frequency and if they gave Jade Empire another spin I'd be cheering them on every step of the way.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
If it has the Black Whirlwind and another huge body count, sure. Why not?

EDIT: Oh and more Heaven sections. I love fighting the gods.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Jade Empire was... Brilliant. I preferred it even over Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect. More of it would be a very good thing (tm)

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
I have completed Jade Empire with every character/morality...Twice.

I would love to see a sequel considering how much more they could accomplish with todays consoles.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Malygris said:
Personally I'd rather see more Baldur's Gate [http://www.bioware.com/games/baldurs_gate/]
Steve Dark said:
Screw Jade Empire, more Baldur's Gate!
Why? Don't get me wrong, I love the Baldur's Gate series to death; they're among my favourite games of all time. I love the characters and the story, and they're games which deserve to be remembered as classics.

And this is exactly why I don't want it revisited. It's perfect as it is; there's no reason to try and continue it. It was one of the best stories ever told in gaming, and it should stay that way. They shouldn't try to extend the story for no good reason, and if they're going to tell an entirely different story, then they shouldn't call it Baldur's Gate.

Baldur's Gate is fantastic. I think it should be left that way.

NB: If BioWare themselves decided to make BG3, I would have no problem with it. Hell, I'd be delighted. It's their story, and they know what they're doing with it; they wouldn't make another one unless they were going to make it really, really good.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
I actually enjoyed Jade Empire more than Mass Effect and KotOR. Bioware's best attempt at action RPG gameplay in my opinion and it had more whimsy than some of their other games which is also a plus for me.

Adam

Apr 28, 2009
Jade empire was badass and the opening theme still sends shivers down my spine. If they just overhalled the combat in Jade 2 then it would be damn good right there. That's the only problem I had with Jade 1. The combat was either meh or spammable to the max. Jade empire 2 after Mass and Dragon Age? You bet your ass we would love to 'revisit' that

Arbitrary Cidin

Apr 16, 2009
Malygris said:
What do you think? Is Jade Empire 2 a winner or just a pleasant nerd fantasy that will never come to pass?
Every single BioWare game ever is a pleasant nerd fantasy. That's why they're winners.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
Jade Empire was really fun to play. I hope they do revisit it. I was contemplating buying it off Steam and getting a 360 controller for the PC (I sold my old Xbox a few years ago). Yeah, I liked it that much.

There is a lot of room for improvement with that game and it's great to know BioWare realizes the potential they have sitting there with that franchise. I would love to see a more rewarding fight mechanic as it did get a little silly just running and mashing the buttons.