New Tekken 6 Ad Features Brawling Bikini Bimbos

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New Tekken 6 Ad Features Brawling Bikini Bimbos

The second "What Will You Fight For?" video for Tekken 6 [http://tekken.namco.com/] has been released, providing proof once and for all that people who think videogamers are juvenile idiots might actually be on to something.

So, Tekken 6. Before I watched this video I didn't know anything about it and now I feel like I know too much. Let me break it down for you: Hot women in underwear fight over a pair of shoes. Hot women in bikinis fight over a hair straightener. Hot women dressed up like Japanese schoolgirls fight over... well, it's not really clear but it's an excuse for an upskirt shot and that's apparently what we're here for.

That's it. That, aside from a "What Will You Fight For?" graphic, is the whole thing from start to finish. And I guess that's how videogames are sold today.

It's is also why a significant portion of the population still thinks we're a bunch of goddamn idiot children. I've spent hours talking about the evolution of gaming as a mainstream entertainment medium, about the power of interactive storytelling, about the wealth of content our industry provides in games ranging from The Path to Peggle to Mass Effect and all of that ends up meaning dick because the people responsible for making and marketing Tekken can't get over their giggling obsession with tits.

Maybe there's some kind of irony to all this that I'm just not getting. As I mentioned, I know nothing about Tekken except that it's a fighting game, so maybe there's a subtlety at work here that's gone sailing over my head. But I doubt that very much. I'm pretty sure that this just is what it is: Nearly-naked chicks brawling over shoes. So nice job, Tekken folks. Way to set the bar so low that I'm more likely to step on it than trip over it.

Tekken 6 comes out later in October for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PSP. In the meantime, you can get an eyeful of the "What Will You Fight For?" campaign in all its rampaging stupidity at whatwillyoufightfor.com [http://www.whatwillyoufightfor.com].

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
wahey, Malygris has snapped! I've been waiting for this moment all my past 5 minutes of my life ^_^

OT, I do see your point, if people are to take gamers seriously, we need to take gaming seriously.

Vierran

None here.
Oct 11, 2009
They must have the same marketing team as Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 and its sexaxis ads.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
The first two 'fights' were understandable. Utilizing the arousing physique of the human female body. Everyone does that.

But the third? Fetish, much?

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
Team Ninja has infiltrated the Tekken PR Dept!
Malygris, you sound slightly annoyed... I just got those vibes from this story.
OT- I agree, this is rather juvenile, and puts gamers as a whole in a bad light.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
No, no Malygris, it's okay, tell us how you *really* feel. Honestly, I agree with you completely. It's not like there's no place for a little juvenile silliness in the industry, but this is almost as bad as the Evony campaign.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Ah so they are taking the Team Ninja idea of advertising

[sub][sub]Not that I'm complaining at either company[/sub][/sub]

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
Hurr hurr, look purdy. Aaanyway.

I don't know how serious I can take this ad. It's obvious they've spent quite a bit of money and time making it, but the subject matter is so inane..... it's like Michael Bay and Hugh Hefner teamed up to make this, it's just so ridiculous, and it's made even more ridiculous by the overblown, dramatic editing and music.

This is just..... stupid.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Wierd. I remember playing tekken tag tournament when I was in college. I don't remember there being that many scantly clad women in it. I remember it was supposed to be about stringing together massive 15 hit comobos and chain throws.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
What a vulgar and misleading ad.

I agree, it pisses me off when trying to explain that videogames can be an amazing form of entertainment that can have great storylines and plots as deep as novels. Then people like Tekken and DoA ruin all of it because women barely wearing any clothes and tits are fun.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Well maybe if I was 14 again I'd consider this 'pretty awesome'.
But I'm not, and it's not.

Looks like gamers will mature far before the industry will ever think to.
Good to see advertising hasn't changed in a few decades, though. We're at least ahead of them.

'What's the product?'
'Denture cream'
'Have it being rubbed on boobs'
'Brilliant!'

And now I'm a marketing exec.

MorteSphere

Jul 8, 2009
It's been a while since I've seen a good commercial for a game. I considered the Gears of War commercial pretty awesome.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Calm down Malygris, calm down. Now breaaaaath. In, and out. Feeling better now?

Anyway, Tekken has always been known for this kind of stuff. Why is it such a shock now?

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
this told me nothing about the product, well unless tekken has gone from fast paced fighting to super slow motion wrestling, remember back when ads told you something about the product, back when game trailers showed you what the game was about or at least gave you an idea, today we as consumers are left guessing

"what the hell is this...UH UH I SAW A GUN, it must be a shooter"

or in this case.

"underwear?, shoes?, bikinis?, the new final fantasy maybe...wait are these actual 16 year old guys!?!, oh its a fighting game, core"

if they had just showed me a bear, a demon, a terminator, an alien ninja and a schoolgirl beating each other up to be disturbed by some kind of fat demon, then i would know what this was about and i would remember how awesome tekken is and run out to camp out, but they didn't so i didn't.

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
OH OH!!! I KNOW! I'LL FIGHT FOR MORE OF THOSE SLOW MOTION BEWBS!!!! I'LL HAVE TO BUY THIS GAME!!

sigh....

I guess they took the hint from Evony, sex sells.