Cryptic Releases Star Trek Online Timeline Video

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Cryptic Releases Star Trek Online Timeline Video

[gametrailers=332301 user=1]​
Star Trek Online [http://crypticstudios.com/] and this Trek neighborhood isn't nearly as friendly and clean as the ones you're used to.

The Star Trek universe used to be such a nice place. Sure, you'd occasionally run into some alien riff-raff like the Nausicaans or the Pakled, but give 'em a punch in the mouth or a short, sharp display of the innate moral superiority of the human race and they'd step back into line right quick-like. We even managed to get the Klingons to like us! Unfortunately, in Star Trek Online, which takes place 30 years after the feature film Star Trek: Nemesis [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0253754/], things have gone off the tracks a bit.

Following the death of Praetor Shinzon, the Romulan Empire falls into civil war; soon after, the Klingons get involved, taking advantage of the internal conflict to launch attacks on Romulan space and reclaim territories they'd lost in previous conflicts. The Federation speaks out against the attack, but hey, it's Klingons, so what are you gonna do?

After awhile the Klingons get bored, so they pick a fight with the Gorn in another part of space. That seems to go well enough until the Gorn hook up with the Nausicaans and start taking it to the Klingons. Meanwhile, the Federation is still working the "let's talk about our feelings" angle, but of course nobody's paying any attention.

And that's only part one! A second timeline video that will pick up in 2392, where this one left off, will hopefully be out soon. As a reformed Trekkie I hate to say this, but I suddenly find myself a lot more interested in this game than a was an hour ago.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Man, I want this game sooo bad, but I don't wanna get it for the 360 but I also don't have a computer that can run it!!! Can't wait to see the rest of the timeline.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Plot exposition is always made better by things blowing up in the background. Michael Bay says so!

I'm not likely to play this game, but at least I'm interested in the storyline.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
DAMNIT

I liked the idea of the ship combat, and the general way it works, but I said
"NO,
1. It's an MMORPG, It will destroy your life
2. You'd likley have to pay for it
3. It's an MMORPG, it will make you "uncool" "

NOW IT'S EVEN BETTER-SOUNDING

DAMNIT, FATHER, WHY MUST YOU INTREST ME IN YOUR WORLD? WHY DID YOU INTRODUCE ME TO PICARD!? WHYY!?!?!? NOW I'M INTRESTED!

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Apparant freedom in this game does seem cool, but as Grinning Maniac says

GrinningManiac said:

makes me not want to buy it, also seems that theres no Enterprise Era ships :(

I love the NX

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Now I am sold, though I am still on a one MMO budget right now, and really back into my WOW addiction. Good thing it isn't too soon. I was really at a loss why the Klingons would break from the Federation, but this timeline gives good reason. Shinzon really screwed things up in the galaxy.
wooty said:
GrinningManiac said:
I love the NX
Actually the Sovereign class starship(which the 1701-E is) is still around, and even still a prime force in the fleet. You have to be an Admiral in the fleet to fly one. Apparently there is also a Constitution class, with much the same shape but up to date. Looks like they took a page from the new alternate universe storyline to design that one. Even the Miranda class is still in action, so you and a friend can recreate your own Wrath of Khan scenario.
As for it being an MMO, it doesn't make you "uncool", though no guarantees on the effect it could have on your life. Though the same could be said for other games. First time I played Portal I couldn't stop til the end, and by then I was left with only bout two hours of sleep before a 12 hour shift of work. UGH.
And most like STO will go subscription, but at $15 a month, it beats your cable bill, and you would have a game to stay with longer than most current offline games, which you'd probably get bored with after one month of play, and then buy something else for $50-$60 the next month. I'm just hoping they are looking at CCP's model of addons, and not charging full price for each expansion(in fact CCP doesn't charge anything for any expansion to EVE Online, or for that matter for to purchase it. That's the one beef I have with Blizzard with WoW, which is ridiculous tenfold.
Check out the website, and the current inventory of ships they have, I think you will be surprised at what is there. I certainly was.
Speaking of expansions, I am expecting the Dominion to make a reappearance in the first or second, but no later. Anyone hoping they will be playable?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Malygris said:
Star Trek Online [http://crypticstudios.com/] and this Trek neighborhood isn't nearly as friendly and clean as the ones you're used to.
Indeed - for starters, Atari logos are involved! I was looking forward to this game, but the fact Atari are being allowed within 3,000 miles of this game suddenly has me doubting.

Feb 13, 2008
Part of me wants to like this, but I fear the fanboys. Trekkies are almost as infamous as Potterites and Twilighters, perhaps even moreso. Could I even step back from my Whovian overview?

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
samsonguy920 said:
Now I am sold, though I am still on a one MMO budget right now, and really back into my WOW addiction. Good thing it isn't too soon. I was really at a loss why the Klingons would break from the Federation, but this timeline gives good reason. Shinzon really screwed things up in the galaxy.
wooty said:
GrinningManiac said:
I love the NX
Actually the Sovereign class starship(which the 1701-E is) is still around, and even still a prime force in the fleet. You have to be an Admiral in the fleet to fly one. Apparently there is also a Constitution class, with much the same shape but up to date. Looks like they took a page from the new alternate universe storyline to design that one. Even the Miranda class is still in action, so you and a friend can recreate your own Wrath of Khan scenario.
As for it being an MMO, it doesn't make you "uncool", though no guarantees on the effect it could have on your life. Though the same could be said for other games. First time I played Portal I couldn't stop til the end, and by then I was left with only bout two hours of sleep before a 12 hour shift of work. UGH.
And most like STO will go subscription, but at $15 a month, it beats your cable bill, and you would have a game to stay with longer than most current offline games, which you'd probably get bored with after one month of play, and then buy something else for $50-$60 the next month. I'm just hoping they are looking at CCP's model of addons, and not charging full price for each expansion(in fact CCP doesn't charge anything for any expansion to EVE Online, or for that matter for to purchase it. That's the one beef I have with Blizzard with WoW, which is ridiculous tenfold.
Check out the website, and the current inventory of ships they have, I think you will be surprised at what is there. I certainly was.
Speaking of expansions, I am expecting the Dominion to make a reappearance in the first or second, but no later. Anyone hoping they will be playable?
Just signed up for the site, there is quite a few Federation ships, even a few ive never even heard of, nice to see that theres a good old Intrepid class avaliable, probably be uproar if there wasnt

As for what I meant by Enterprise era, I meant Capt Archers time period, looks like its more next gen and beyond orientated, which is cool in itself but still, no NX class

Maybe theyll release an add on pack for sad gits like me who like seriously weakened ships just because they look cool :p

hypothetical fact

Oct 8, 2008
I will be: red shirt 47390052. Our kind will be the fodder for the swarms of c@ptin K1Rc's speaking their own disjointed language.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Im not sure how to take this, Im not a huge Star Trek nerd so whether or not this is they way history, or the future or what ever should play out but it seem like the developers created a bunch of wars so that there would be a factions split in the game so people could chose to be on one side or the other // Now this is only the first part and its only up to 2392 so in the comin years everything could be back to its peaceful ways, only time will tell

-M

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
wooty said:
Just signed up for the site, there is quite a few Federation ships, even a few ive never even heard of, nice to see that theres a good old Intrepid class avaliable, probably be uproar if there wasnt

As for what I meant by Enterprise era, I meant Capt Archers time period, looks like its more next gen and beyond orientated, which is cool in itself but still, no NX class

Maybe theyll release an add on pack for sad gits like me who like seriously weakened ships just because they look cool :p
I wasn't much into Enterprise myself, as it disregarded a lot of continuity, which is a shame since it had the potential to document the happenings during the Romulan War. But I do agree on one point, the starship was a rather nice design. Maybe some ferengi will raid the Starfleet scrapyard for old hulks of that class to use for freighters. Would be cool if in time they established a class of character where you can be your own Cyrano Jones, Harcourt Mudd, or Cassidy Yates. That would cement a lot of players in the game.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
This game looks really neat, but after "Champions Online" Cryptic Studios has lost a lot of respect from me, and I have very little faith in their ability to deliver, especially with a licensed product.

darkorion69

Aug 15, 2008
I have been a member of the STO boards for about a year following the development of Star Trek Online. The game seems (from information released so far) geared to MMO gamers first, science fiction fans second, and Trekkies (like me) last. This is not a complaint mind, just an admission of the target demographics for this MMO(RPG?). They have even gone so far as to suggest that the RPG be dropped off of MMORPG so as not to misrepresent dedicated RP being an emphasized design element.

On the MMO and combat side of things though, it seems to be quite pretty and exciting. PvP and competitive PvE are promised as major features. Non-combat PvE exploration and socialization (RP?)have been promised as alternatives to typical game play. PvE players will engage in 'Episodes' modeled after the format shown in the Star Trek television shows. Cryptic has said that these (typically instanced) missions will run the gamut from combat to diplomacy.

I encourage people to head over and join the Forums for Star Trek Online. They are about to start the Closed Beta, and now is the time to sign up if that kind of thing interests you. I am looking forward to this game very much and hope I do not sound too much like a Cryptic employee talking it up here :)

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
ooooh, sounds interesting! I must admit, I'm quite a trekkie myself, I'm looking forward to this one ^^

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I guess not being a trekkie would explain my utter confusion with what's going on.
I found myself asking 'Who are they? Why are they attacking again? Who died? What kind of ship is that? Where is my chocolate milk?' and other very important questions.

But from the comments here, I suppose everything is on the up and up.
Good job?

Kuliani

BEACUASE
Dec 14, 2004
Baby Tea said:
I guess not being a trekkie would explain my utter confusion with what's going on.
I found myself asking 'Who are they? Why are they attacking again? Who died? What kind of ship is that? Where is my chocolate milk?' and other very important questions.

But from the comments here, I suppose everything is on the up and up.
Good job?
Yes, according to the video thus far, they are doing quite well.