Skirt Kept Peach Out of New Super Mario Brothers

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Skirt Kept Peach Out of New Super Mario Brothers

According to Mario main man Shigeru Miyamoto, Princess Peach's attire made her just too problematic to include in the new Mario game.

Speaking at a round table in New York City this week, Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto answered a number of questions, including one about why you can't play as Princess Peach in New Super Mario Brothers Wii and it turns out that the blame rests entirely on that iconic pink dress.

"I thought it'd be nice to have her as a playable character, but the toad characters had a similar physique to a Mario character than Peach does. And if one of the four had a dress, we'd have to come up with a special programming to handle how the skirt is handled in the gameplay, and that's really the only reason why Peach isn't playable (laughs)."

Personally, I'm not sure I buy it to be honest. It seems odd that they'd leave out one of the most recognizable characters in the series has been left out for what seems like such a trivial reason as a skirt.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5384278/miyamoto-asked-why-peach-isnt-playable-looks-to-skirt-issue]

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
Actual reason: If Princess Peach was playable, she couldn't be kidnapped. Then Nintendo would have to come up with a new storyline...which I guess is a lot of work.

Jun 6, 2009
FightThePower said:
Actual reason: If Princess Peach was playable, she couldn't be kidnapped. Then Nintendo would have to come up with a new storyline...which I guess is a lot of work.
Yea, but it would be more enjoyable than. Peach kidnapped. In another castle. Beat Bowser. Save her. End.

At least Super Mario Sunshine and Partners in Time, did a good job of getting away with it.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
What.
That's stupid. Just giver her the same abilities. It never seemed to stop cramming her into any of the other games.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
BrotherhoodOfSteel said:
FightThePower said:
Yea, but it would be more enjoyable than. Peach kidnapped. In another castle. Beat Bowser. Save her. End.
Yes, that's exactly what I was getting at.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
well think about it - pricess is twice as tall as mario every time you see her. if they shrunk her down to the same scale as all the other monsters, there's every chance she'd either look retarded or parts of the animation wouldn't work correctly (eg clipping).

is it lazy and stupid that they didn't consider this from the beginning? yes

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008

So apparently the people that made New Super Mario Bros Wii never played Super Mario Bros 2...

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
O no, I can't play as an ineffectual idiot. This game is going to suck. /Monotone
OT: My sister will be angry at this, but my favorite character is Luigi, so I don't really care much.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Susan Arendt said:
Or, I dunno, put her in pants? Juuuuuuust a thought.
She's already got the Sports gear, so that's a start, but pants would kinda be screwing with her bright-pink girly-girl look a lot, especially as an iconically effeminate character.

I approve of girls in pants (gender role/behaviour ambiguity ftw), but Peach probably isn't the right place to start.

I think the more interesting third character should've been Wario, rather than having two Toads.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
Who would he save if peach was helping! Would they just go through the game till they are like half way through and go...wait, Peach why the fuck are you here? We are ment to be saving you.

Peach: Yeah, well I wanted to see what you done on your adventure things

Mario: ... *Facepalm*

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
Aside from bringing up Smash Bros. as a curious aside, I don't see why a fourth character could have been used instead of a generic Toad clone. One toad? Ok, sure, but another one? Isn't that just a little lacking in effort?

axia777

Oct 10, 2008
The solution is simple. Give Peach some pants. It is the 21st century after all. Why must she always wear a dress?

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Dress her as a biker!

The people demand it!

also, why wasn't this issue so key in Super Mario 2? where you could play Peach with all her dressy goodness... Surely recreating what she did in that game couldn't be so hard...

have her walk about, let her hover(even if it is cheap...) and just have the story be:
"Mario, Luigi, Toad and Peach all took a nice little stroll over several life-threatening zones just to kick the shit out of Bowser for being such a prick, THE END."

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
FightThePower said:
You have quite the point there, and I have to agree with you.

The problem you have when it comes to our dear danger prone damsel's skirt is that unless you want to stick her in her sports attire (something I'm guessing the creators want to leave separate from the regular games) the skirt essentially requires its own physics engine. In this day and age people wouldn't be happy with simply a static skirt that acted like a cone encasing her legs. Players would expect it to move and act like an actual skirt (with in decency reasons of course)

Though you are probably right, if they let the princess be a playable character bowser would have nothing to do for the entire game.

axia777 said:
The solution is simple. Give Peach some pants. It is the 21st century after all. Why must she always wear a dress?
Because the mushroom kingdom is stuck in the dark ages.....just ignore the computers and electricity that tend to surface in other games. You are right though, its time she got a new wardrobe.